Changes coming to Washington Wizards?

gueman

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In your comparison ammo is to magicians as quick players is to KKK.

Actually, thats exactly my point....its a stretch either way. How can anyone make a big enough deal over the name BULLETS to have it changed yet REDSKINS still exists and probably will never be changed? Not trying to resurrect the whole Redskins name argument but I just find it interesting thats all.

No, my point is that interpreting Bullets as referring to literal bullets is NOT a stretch. It's the literal team name, in the way that your example of the KKK is not.

Now taking the team name as endorsing gun violence - that's a stretch. But bullets are bullets, and it's still violent imagery. It seemed like you were arguing that the team name did not refer to literal bullets in any way, and that's a silly notion.

Don't forget that the name change was a voluntary thing by Pollin, it's not like there was some outcry.

Well it also runs counter to your DC naming idea, as DC Monuments just isn't the same :P

Actually, DC Monuments would be better IMO, keeping the tall, strong imagery of monuments (that is *almost* but not quite appropriate for a team name) and dropping the gimmicky -not even rising to the level of a- pun that "Washington Monuments" would constitute.

For the fans of the Washington Monuments name out there, maybe some other good ideas would be

Kentucky Derbies

Indianapolis 500s

St. Louis Arches

Washington DC's

Erie Canals

I should stop, some people will probably think these are good ideas. But simply taking the name of something else that is more famous and slapping the name on your team seems completely minor league.

Please, god, nothing stereotypically D.C. Nothing pisses me off more than ideas of naming a team in my city after something that more represents the tourists and politicians who don't call the area home than the actual citizens. Even a horribly generic name representative of nothing would be preferable in my mind than something like "Monuments."

I think it's a great idea to go back to a red, white and blue color scheme for Washington. It makes sense for the nations capital. There's no way you can sanely justify going back to the Bullets, it just can't happen.

What about the Washington Federals?

Well it also runs counter to your DC naming idea, as DC Monuments just isn't the same :P

Actually, DC Monuments would be better IMO, keeping the tall, strong imagery of monuments (that is *almost* but not quite appropriate for a team name) and dropping the gimmicky -not even rising to the level of a- pun that "Washington Monuments" would constitute.

For the fans of the Washington Monuments name out there, maybe some other good ideas would be

Kentucky Derbies

Indianapolis 500s

St. Louis Arches

Washington DC's

Erie Canals

I should stop, some people will probably think these are good ideas. But simply taking the name of something else that is more famous and slapping the name on your team seems completely minor league.

What would you base a DC Monuments identity around though? If you choose just one you run into the same problem that Washington Monuments has, you would be basing a plural name around a single entity. So the only solution I can think of that would make DC Monuments work is some kind of identity package that incorporates the Washington Monument, Jefferson Memorial, and Lincoln Memorial (from my understanding those are the big three). Any identity that tried to incorporate that much imagery into one package is doomed to fail.

Washington Commanders? It is unique, and has the potential to have a great logo set.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Washington, by design, doesn't have a skyline. That complicates the sort of cohesive city identity you could do with a team in New York or Chicago. You could make sort sort of pseudo-skyline logo that incorporates various important Washington buildings, but it would be a spatial nightmare to force them all together in an unnatural way.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If they go with something political like Presidents, then whenever Manute Bol (who they will certainly re-sign) blocks a shot, the crowd could yell "VETO!" Then, if the rebound gets scouped up by the shooting team and they get the basket anyway, their announcers could say "overridden!".

Sorry, I'm tired.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I say they take a page from the Buffalo Bills playbook and go with the Washington Irvings! The Fightin' Irvings! They could have Rip Van Winkle as their mascot and push a sleeping guy around the court in a wheelbarrow during timeouts. It would be awesome dude!!! GO IRVS!!!!!!!

If they go with something political like Presidents, then whenever Manute Bol (who they will certainly re-sign) blocks a shot, the crowd could yell "VETO!" Then, if the rebound gets scouped up by the shooting team and they get the basket anyway, their announcers could say "overridden!".

Sorry, I'm tired.

I LOL'd.

...But tired as well.

AU-USU-Scoreboard.gif

"Are you ready for Executive Power?!!"

and would a oval arena be too much to ask for?

Archived