Changes coming to Washington Wizards?

gueman

I like the current Wizards colors. They're unique, which is something the NBA isn't too familiar with. I didn't like those gold jerseys but they're regular jerseys look sharp. A change to red, white, and blue will just blend in with every other single team.

I also like the Wizards name. Don't get me wrong, I like the Bullets name too but why not save it and give it to a future Baltimore team that could play in the new arena Baltimore will eventually build?

If the name Wizards is scrapped, I would like something new like Monuments, Presidents, Potomacs, etc. I don't like names that have already been used a thousand times unless the team would be trying to connect back to the other team like the Cleveland Browns or like a new Baltimore Bullets would be doing.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sufficiently owned yet, Hat Boy?

Not even close.

Because there are monuments in other cities, Washington Monuments is a great name? By that logic, Utah Jazz is a great name, because other cities have jazz. I even have the pictures to prove it.

f2-2new-orleans-jazz-posters.jpgresize_280.jpgjazzweek.jpg

How's that crow taste, Milo?

No crow for me, I'm vegan. Anyway, I never even said Monuments is a "great" name. Quite the opposite, I said it doesn't work because it denotes "completely stationary", remember? And the other guy mentioned there were multiple "Washington Monuments" (I think just to bust balls, but he was right), not me. My original idea of multiple D.C. monuments would've referred to the very well-known Lincoln, Jefferson and Vietnam Veteran memorials, as well as the actual Washington Monument. You've heard of those, right?

Here's an excellent opportunity to start the movement toward using "D.C." as the location designation. Do it, Leonsis!! D.C. Nationals, Capitals, and new nicknames for the Wizards and Redskins...it flows off the tongue, and is less ambiguous than Washington. When I was a little kid, I always thought the Caps, Bullets and 'Skins played in Washington state.

Also, I noticed this after I posted:

Quote: Ice_Cap: Indeed. The whole "Wizards" identity is a mess anyway, in my opinion. Aside from my dislike for the logo and name, it's also kind of redundant. The Orlando Magic have the whole magic theme covered. It would be like if a new NBA or NHL team named themselves the Royals

Odd that you pick that kind of identity to cite, as it's already saturated by the Royals, and the NBA & NHL Kings.

First of all...Redskins are not getting a new name, ever. Lawsuit after lawsuit has failed.

Secondly, as someone else said, the Skins and Nats are not part of Ted L's ownership or control. Why would a proud NFL franchise ditch their identity for a marketing ploy?

Finally, I highly doubt most people think the Redskins are neighbors to the Seahawks. Bad schools in Detroit?

87Redskins.png

Here's an excellent opportunity to start the movement toward using "D.C." as the location designation. Do it, Leonsis!! D.C. Nationals, Capitals, and new nicknames for the Wizards and Redskins...it flows off the tongue, and is less ambiguous than Washington. When I was a little kid, I always thought the Caps, Bullets and 'Skins played in Washington state.

Also, I noticed this after I posted:

Quote: Ice_Cap: Indeed. The whole "Wizards" identity is a mess anyway, in my opinion. Aside from my dislike for the logo and name, it's also kind of redundant. The Orlando Magic have the whole magic theme covered. It would be like if a new NBA or NHL team named themselves the Royals

Odd that you pick that kind of identity to cite, as it's already saturated by the Royals, and the NBA & NHL Kings.

First of all...Redskins are not getting a new name, ever. Lawsuit after lawsuit has failed.

Secondly, as someone else said, the Skins and Nats are not part of Ted L's ownership or control. Why would a proud NFL franchise ditch their identity for a marketing ploy?

Finally, I highly doubt most people think the Redskins are neighbors to the Seahawks. Bad schools in Detroit?

1. Never say never.

2. Again, I'll repeat: I know they're out of Leonsis' control. I only (twice) said it could be the beginning of a movement toward using "D.C.". It'd hardly be ditching an identity.

3. I said, "when I was a little kid". You know, before school gets too far into geography, and kids are just learning about sports?

No crow for me, I'm vegan. Anyway, I never even said Monuments is a "great" name. Quite the opposite, I said it doesn't work because it denotes "completely stationary", remember? And the other guy mentioned there were multiple "Washington Monuments" (I think just to bust balls, but he was right), not me. My original idea of multiple D.C. monuments would've referred to the very well-known Lincoln, Jefferson and Vietnam Veteran memorials, as well as the actual Washington Monument. You've heard of those, right?

You're missing the point. There are multiple monuments in Washington DC, but there's only one Washington Monument. A team named the Washington Monuments would base their imagery around the actual Washington Monument, of which there is only one. Thus your defence that there are multiple monuments in Washington DC doesn't actually work here.

You're missing the point, aren't you? There are multiple monuments in Washington DC, but there's only one Washington Monument. A team named the Washington Monuments would base their imagery around the actual Washington Monument, of which there is only one. Thus your defence that there are multiple monuments in Washington DC doesn't actually work here.

Bah, it was half-hearted at best, arguing semantics above all else. I'd never get behind Monuments as a nickname, anyway.

Well it also runs counter to your DC naming idea, as DC Monuments just isn't the same :P

Though I will say that I'm on board with the idea of re-branding all Washington teams as "DC"/"District of Columbia." The capital of the United States isn't even officially known as Washington anymore. Since 1871 the official name of the American capital has been the District of Columbia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_Organic_Act_of_1871

Well it also runs counter to your DC naming idea, as DC Monuments just isn't the same :P

Though I will say that I'm on board with the idea of re-branding all Washington teams as "DC"/"District of Columbia." The capital of the United States isn't even officially known as Washington anymore. Since 1871 the official name of the American capital has been the District of Columbia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_Organic_Act_of_1871

Boom. Let's make it happen, then. Facebook campaign? Isn't that the way people think they can get anything they want these days? :P

If the Wizards changed their name they should go back to the Bullets. There was nothing wrong with the name to begin with in my opinion. I've always thought that Bullets refered to the quickness of the team and not the thing that is propelled from a gun. If we go down that route then you can say that the name "wizards" can allude to the leaders of the KKK. I know it seems crazy but its not crazier then getting rid of the name "Bullets" because of violence in the city.

Nah. "Bullet" can be used in reference to quick players, but it still means ammunition.

The quick players interpretation is just a (valid) rationale for using Bullets as a mascot. Just like Wizards is an invalid rationale for using "Wizards" as a mascot, that you could use if you were really reaching.

In your comparison ammo is to magicians as quick players is to KKK.

Actually, thats exactly my point....its a stretch either way. How can anyone make a big enough deal over the name BULLETS to have it changed yet REDSKINS still exists and probably will never be changed? Not trying to resurrect the whole Redskins name argument but I just find it interesting thats all.

uk-owns-iu

I like the current Wizards colors. They're unique, which is something the NBA isn't too familiar with. I didn't like those gold jerseys but they're regular jerseys look sharp. A change to red, white, and blue will just blend in with every other single team.

I also like the Wizards name. Don't get me wrong, I like the Bullets name too but why not save it and give it to a future Baltimore team that could play in the new arena Baltimore will eventually build?

Seriously. Baltimore ain't gettin no team and you really like the Wizrads name and colors seriously???

What about the Washington or DC Federals? It is another government name, similar to Senators, Nationals, Capitals, etc, and can be shortened, which apparently is a favorite thing to do in DC. And they could give some mumbo jumbo about how a basketball team has multiple smaller powers working together to form one great power.

Let Congress name them. They'd call them the Washington Basketball Unified League-Leading Entertainment and Tradition Source (or BULLETS).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Quick and dirty idea of how a Bullets logo inspired by the neo-Caps might look:

bullets3.jpg

It's not the best they could do, but the Capitals' primary isn't the best they could do either, so.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived