Changes coming to Washington Wizards?

gueman

What the heck is a "continental"? These team names that aren't really anything are pretty dumb if you ask me (which nobody did.) I feel the same way about team names like Seventy Sixers. Nobody has ever said "oh, that George Washington was a fine seventy sixer".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the heck is a "continental"? These team names that aren't really anything are pretty dumb if you ask me (which nobody did.) I feel the same way about team names like Seventy Sixers. Nobody has ever said "oh, that George Washington was a fine seventy sixer".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Army

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Congress

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_%28currency%29#Continental_currency

The name has meaning within the patriotic American lexicon.

http://en.wikipedia....ontinental_Army

http://en.wikipedia....nental_Congress

http://en.wikipedia....nental_currency

The name has meaning within the patriotic American lexicon.

Yes, but not in the real world. It's 2010, not 1790.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It seems appropriate that Washington DC, being the capital of the United States, should have patriotic-themed sports teams. Continentals actually has meaning in that context. It was a term heavily associated with the American Revolution. George Washington was the commander-in-chief of the Continental Army. I really don't see the problem with this name.

How about....

Washington Chevy Chase

Washington Duponts

Washington Secret Services

Washington Arms

Washington Bethies

Washington Circles

Washington Blue Coats

Washington Patrols

Washington Spanglers

Washington Banners

Washington Barons

Washington Laws

Washington Whigs

It seems appropriate that Washington DC, being the capital of the United States, should have patriotic-themed sports teams. Continentals actually has meaning in that context. It was a term heavily associated with the American Revolution. George Washington was the commander-in-chief of the Continental Army. I really don't see the problem with this name.

I just think it's better to name a team based on something that is relevant in the era in which said team is named. You want to reach out to the kids, and I doubt there's any kids on the playground talking about continentals, seventy sixers, militia, etc. It's not the responsibility of professional sports teams to be history teachers, and it's possible to come up with something relevant and recognizable that's not dumb like FORCE!! or Sky Birdzz!!

What do Wizards even have to do with Washington?

Never underestimate the lure of alliteration.

So in other words, nothing.

I just think it's better to name a team based on something that is relevant in the era in which said team is named. You want to reach out to the kids, and I doubt there's any kids on the playground talking about continentals, seventy sixers, militia, etc. It's not the responsibility of professional sports teams to be history teachers, and it's possible to come up with something relevant and recognizable that's not dumb like FORCE!! or Sky Birdzz!!

I don't like the name Continentals because I want the team to be a "history teacher," I like the name because it's both fitting and unique.

Please, god, nothing stereotypically D.C. Nothing pisses me off more than ideas of naming a team in my city after something that more represents the tourists and politicians who don't call the area home than the actual citizens. Even a horribly generic name representative of nothing would be preferable in my mind than something like "Monuments."

This.

Every thread includes the same retread suggestions I saw in Usenet threads on the topic fifteen years ago, e.g., "Glory, Delegates, Monuments," etc. And, of course, no thread would be complete without the obligatory derogatory nicknames: "Pork, Gridlock, Tax n' Spenders, Fat Cats," etc. I gotta say: I haven't heard much fresh in either category on the subject.

As for folks supporting "Monuments" in particular: If you don't like the abbreviation for Continentals, you shouldn't like the abbreviation for Monuments, either. Disagree? Google "Mons" and see what you come up with. ;)

As a DC sports fan, I wasn't big on the Wizards as a new nickname. But, I'm used to it at this point. I'd welcome a logo/uniform refresh, but I see no need to agitate for a name change. And I certainly don't want to go back to the tired, bland "Bullets" uni/logo package from the late '90s - the one with the capital "B" and the "shooting" L's that replaced the lowercase "b" and "rebouding" L's.

As or changing back to red/white/blue (which, based on Leonsis' comments, appears to be a real possibility for the future, with red as the dominant color):

There are five teams in the NBA currently rocking the red/white/blue color scheme (with the blue = navy or royal):

- PHI (royal)

- NJN (navy)

- DET (royal)

- ATL (navy)

- LAC (royal)

That's four in the Eastern Conference, with one already in WAS's division. All five teams have a red jersey as either a primary or an alt. And, fellow division-mate MIA has a red (well, crimson) alt jersey as well.

In contrast, there are only three other teams in the NHL wearing red/white/blue besides the Caps:

- NYR

- CBJ

- MON

And, the Caps are the only team in their division with that color scheme.

As Ted thinks about switching the team's colors, he will also need to consider the extent to which a switch back to classic colors would dilute the team's brand and unique identity.

Now, I hate the primary logo as much as anyone else. But I don't think becoming the *sixth* team with the same basic color scheme is necessarily the best move, either. I think the Wizards are better off owning a unique color scheme the way the Skins own burgundy n' gold.

Continentals is my favourite alternative thus far.

What a bunch of Conts.

EXACTLY!

Actually, I think you'd see "Cons" used more - which would lead to a bunch of obvious puns and derogatory riffs. "They're not Pros, they're Cons." "Washington's full of Con Artists." "Player A, now a Laker, is an Ex-Con." Yadda Yadda. And, everyone would think they're *so* witty for making the joke. Oof. No thanks.

Now, I hate the primary logo as much as anyone else. But I don't think becoming the *sixth* team with the same basic color scheme is necessarily the best move, either. I think the Wizards are better off owning a unique color scheme the way the Skins own burgundy n' gold.

Seriously, I really like this colour scheme. It's unique (ever since the Bobcats decided to forgo their orange-dominated look), it's not tired like the red, white, and blue, and it just looks nice, at least in my opinion.

Plus, while Bullets isn't the best name (it's bellow average actually) it's better then Wizards. They don't even have to go back to the boring 90s look. Something like this could work.

WB2.png

Archived