Changes coming to Washington Wizards?

gueman

Monuments is cool because it says "massive, tall".

Presidents would bug the crap out of me, because there's only one president at a time.

Last time I checked, there was only one Washington Monument.

And its existence and fame do not make it a cute name for a team, despite the familiarity of the phrase "Washington Monument."

How about the "Washington Crossing the Delawares"?

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Washington Windjammers.

Nautical theme.

Strong logo potential.

I like it, but it seems more fitting for a Chicago team.

I'm gonna have to give my endorsement for Washington Monuments. I prefer names that tie in regionally while being appropriate for a basketball team and Monuments works on both counts. Plus it derives from the name of the ownership which, unfortunately, has precedent in the NBA... although unlike Bobcats, Monuments doesn't suck.

I totally agree with preferring regional nicknames, and think red, white and blue should naturally go with such a change. Monuments is cool because it says "massive, tall". At the same time, it doesn't work for me, because it also says "completely stationary". That's not a good connotation for a basketball team, and in fact the polar opposite of what I understood the inspiration for Bullets to be. Generals would be silly too, as it's synonymous with the Globetrotters and losing. Presidents would bug the crap out of me, because there's only one president at a time. I could accept Senators since the new baseball team rejected it, or even something plain as Eagles as long as it was a clear Bald Eagle, red, white and blue identity.

Haha well if a team looks at their name and expects a slow moving team, John Wall will just go right by people and the connotation will be gone forever, in a sense it will be ironic.

ua_logo.jpg

There is only 1 Washington Monument however ther are several monuments located on and around the National Mall. The Lincoln Memorial while named a memorial is a monument to Abraham Lincoln. You have the Thoams Jefferson memorial,FDR Memorial, Marine Corps Memorial,Korean War Memorial, Vietnam Veterans Memorial as well as the Smithsonian and many other great National Museums which I'm sure hold several other monuments .So there are many things considered monuments besides the Washington Monument in the area. A monument can be a number of things. Any work, tribute,statue in memory of a person or people. Something that holds significance in a historical context. As far as logo package they could use the actual Monument if they wanted. I would still prefer them using the Bald Eagle and red,white and blue colors either way and maybe a cool rendition of the Monument as a secondary.

Washington Monuments? Seriously? That's not that much better then Bullets (if it is better at all, I'm not sure). I'm not against integrating the Washington Monument into the identity package, but as a name itself I think it falls short.

Like I've said most fans of the team want the name Bullets back but I guess in today's current atmosphere I'll concede that it's not gonna happen. Wizards is just horrid. You don't think that Monuments sounds and fits better than Wizards. I've seen a fan poll on a website that had Bullets by far being the name people wanted back the most with Mounuments second. I'll see if I can find out what other names made the list of possibles.

Listen I know most people won't believe me but I shot Ted Leonsis an email last night and he just responded to it right now from his Blackberry. He said that he never said he would'nt change the name but that it takes three years to do so , so why worry about it now. Very interesting.

Here is the exact message from my email to him: That isnt waht I said-- I said I have other bigger priorities right now--and no name change can occur for three years so why worry about it now> Ted

In a message dated 6/11/2010 10:48:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

Not from Washington but always hated the current scheme was thinking that while Monuments is better than Wizards, it will probably often be shortened to Mons like Sixers and Blazers, and that sounds kinda strange.

From Utah and absolutely hate the Jazz nickname and logo (but know they will never change) but Utah's ABA team was the Stars, the Washington Stars would fit (stars & stripes, flag, etc.) and I think Stars could lend to some classy logos.

Anyone agree? Would love to see someone do a Washington Stars logo

I'm probably the last many of you would expect to read this from...but I just don't see how or why DC's pro sports teams absolutely HAVE to go with patriotic-themed names. Bear in mind that until the Nationals arrived, only the Capitals had a so-called "area appropriate" nickname. It was never a big deal when it was just the Bullets/Wizards and the Redskins--well actually, the Redskins is a different issue altogether, but for a different time in a different thread.

However, having said that, since we're on the topic of hypothetical rebranding possibilities for the Wizz, and since the overwhelming opinion is that the Wizz probably should rebrand, then how about this...y'all know that nickname folks keep throwing out there in regards to the Redskins rebranding--the Potomacs? Well hell, there you go. Let the Wizards have that.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Listen I know most people won't believe me but I shot Ted Leonsis an email last night and he just responded to it right now from his Blackberry. He said that he never said he would'nt change the name but that it takes three years to do so , so why worry about it now. Very interesting.

Here is the exact message from my email to him: That isnt waht I said-- I said I have other bigger priorities right now--and no name change can occur for three years so why worry about it now> Ted

In a message dated 6/11/2010 10:48:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

Why wouldnt people believe you? Its well known Ted answers his emails personally.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Presidents would bug the crap out of me, because there's only one president at a time.

There is only 1 Washington Monument however ther are several monuments located on and around the National Mall.

This, Hat Boy. This.

Like I've said most fans of the team want the name Bullets back but I guess in today's current atmosphere I'll concede that it's not gonna happen. Wizards is just horrid. You don't think that Monuments sounds and fits better than Wizards. I've seen a fan poll on a website that had Bullets by far being the name people wanted back the most with Mounuments second. I'll see if I can find out what other names made the list of possibles.

Slow down there. I never said Monuments was worse then Wizards. If given a choice I would choose Monuments. I just think Bullets is better then both (though all three of them are sub-par).

In the spirit of naming the team after something TRULY Washing, how about the "WASHINGTON ASS-RAPERS" :)

Did we really need to go this route? I find your attempt at humor appalling.

The only thing worse than a really failed attempt at humor is responding to said failed attempt with contempt. Just let it go...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There is only 1 Washington Monument however ther are several monuments located on and around the National Mall.

This, Hat Boy. This.

There is only 1 sitting President, however, there have been 43 others, a handful of which are still alive. :P

This, Hat Boy. This.

250px-Converted.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Monument_(Baltimore)

Sufficiently owned yet, Hat Boy?

Noted.

How about the Washington Squires, especially as a pseudo-homage to the Virginia Squires of the ABA? The Virginia Squires were originally known as the Oakland Oaks until 1968 when they moved to DC for the 1969-70 season and sub-sequentially moved again to Richmond (and played in other locations) until they were disbanded in 1976.

Further, from Wikipedia:

Merger talks with the NBA were already underway, but a major stumbling block was the presence of the Caps in Washington. Baltimore Bullets owner Abe Pollin wanted to move his team to Washington, but didn't want the Caps there. The other ABA owners persuaded Foreman to move the Caps for the second time in as many seasons. Foreman decided to make the Caps a regional franchise, the Virginia Squires. The team would be based in Norfolk, and also played home games in Hampton, Richmond and Roanoke. However, Roanoke was dropped from the list of "home" cities after only one season. The Squires' colors were red, white, and blue.

I like Squires, but it works better for Virginia than the District. Washington's not English enough to make it work. I could deal with Potomacs, but I'm a little itchy about the prospect of a pro team having three different identities in the same city over the course of under twenty years, all in the modern era of sports branding. It's not like baseball circa 1896 where nobody knew what the hell anyone was supposed to be called. From that standpoint, if you're going to get rid of Wizards, you almost have to frame it as "righting a wrong" by reverting to the Bullets.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived