Separated at Birth?

bohob

I've been on a slight hiatus lately. I've had a slight creative block, which I broke out of about a month ago. I worked on another MiLB Re-Brand, which I am not going to post because I would actually like to send it to the team. (I will be resuming the MiLB Re-Brands soon, summer tends to be a slow time design-wise for me.) I've also been working a lot on my blog, 44th & Goal. But I've been inspired by Nebraska inclusion into the Big Ten. As it currently stands, Nebraska and Wisconsin have the same almost identical uniforms. It's going to look like a spring game. So here are concepts for both the 'Huskers and Badgers.

Starting with the Huskers:

I wanted to make the Scarlet & Cream? scarlet and cream. Not scarlet and white, like they currently are. With the logo set, my main issue was consistency. I used a single typeface throughout the entire package, which isn't currently the case with Nebraska. The "Default N" is gone. The Block N will now appear on the helmets. The secondary logo is a badge to replace the current chest patch on the current jerseys. The tertiary is a Blackshirts logo that could appear on the helmets of the defensive starters. In addition, I wanted to make the striping consistent, as it generally irks me to no end when teams have inconsistent striping. I decided to go with the single stripe throughout the uniforms, in part because the Huskers get to keep the sleeve numbers in these concepts. The numerals are the same slab-serif typeface as the wordmark and logos, for consistency, of course. Lastly, and I wouldn't normally do this, but there are two options for black jerseys to honor the Blackshirts.

huskers_id.jpg

huskers_action_home.jpg

huskers_action_away.jpg

huskers_action_alt.jpg

Now, onto the Badgers:

I kept the logo set mostly intact, with one exception: I changed the secondary typeface (the one for UNIVERSITY OF) from Copperplate to Eurostile, an update I think brings the package up-to-date. The uniforms are where this concept gets wild. The helmets feature a wraparound design with badger stripes in red. I figure it's different enough from Michigan's helmets to not be a copycat. By the way, Bucky is the driving force of my inspiration for this concept. The jerseys follow that trend with pinstriped side panels and Bucky on the sleeve. The wordmarks appears on the chest, and the numerals are in the Badgers' font, akin to the basketball uniforms. The side panels continue through to the pant stripes.

badgers_id.jpg

badgers_action_home.jpg

badgers_action_away.jpg

Thoughts? Questions? Let me know. And elliot, sometimes it's good to get a reminder of posting what I'm working on. Thanks.

Nebraska: Man, that's beautiful. Cream and scarlet look amazing together, especially when the cream color kind of ties in with the team name.

Wisconsin: I'm diggin the pinstripes, they look great on a football uniform, especially cause you used them sparingly. I don't like the odd helmet stripe though; don't really see the point of it. I also think a regular block font would look more professional, without the black dropshadow, too.

Great work on both of these, bohob.

I really like the Nebraska set. Nothing to complain about it. But, for Wisconsin, I think the motion W has to stay on the helmet. The uniforms look really good, but I think the W is one of the best monogram logos in the nation.

nlog42.jpg

Thanks Dolphins91 for the jersey avatars.

Love the return of the number font for Wisconsin (they did use that before didn't they?). The only thing wrong with these is the lack of the W on the Badgers helmet. Other than that I really, really, really think these are perfect. It's hard to pull off a sleeve number and a sleeve stripe, but you did that beautifully on the Nebraska set.

Love the return of the number font for Wisconsin (they did use that before didn't they?). The only thing wrong with these is the lack of the W on the Badgers helmet. Other than that I really, really, really think these are perfect. It's hard to pull off a sleeve number and a sleeve stripe, but you did that beautifully on the Nebraska set.

I don't think they've ever used the number font on the jerseys, just on the wordmarks and W logo. Maryland has used the font on its football jerseys.

Shouldn't the black be an alternate home uniform?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Technically, though, they could wear it whenever, especially since so few other teams wear black at home. The NCAA relaxed the rule about color/white jerseys, so as long as the two teams' colors are sufficiently different, both could wear their home uniforms at the same time, like UCLA/USC did.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I don't think they've ever used the number font on the jerseys, just on the wordmarks and W logo. Maryland has used the font on its football jerseys.

The Badgers have used that font on their hoops jerseys for about a decade (whenever they went from Reebok to Adidas), but as far as I know, they've only ever used a standard block for their football jerseys.

I like the pinstripes, but I would think that you'd want to keep the motion-w if you're gonna give the numbers a similar drop shadow. Plus Bucky doesn't look good on the sleeves IMO... for sleeve-logos to work they have to be longer than taller.

Can't find anything wrong with the Huskers though...

I love this. Plain and simple. Really I can't think of anything else to say...I would absolutely love the Huskers to adopt this look. And somehow you managed to make black look good for Nebraska. You my friend, have just made my day.

Oh, the Wisconsin concept is pretty beastly too. :D

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Love the NU concept less the black alts. (I just really get tired of black alts., especially for NU). I have been wanting to see a Nebraska concept with the cream and this looks fantastic. I don't know how well the block N would go over but I think it's a subtle change that could work, probably the ONLY change to the helmet that could ever work for the Cornhuskers. Love the striping as well.

Not sure on the Wisconsin helmet but like the rest of the concept.

EDIT: hope you don't mind bohob, but I posted this over at huskermax.xom http://www.huskermax.com/vbbs/showthread.php?3673-New-2010-Nebraska-Jersey&p=79448&posted=1#post79448 to get some feedback from husker fans. Gave you credit and linked it back to here. Hope that is kosher.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

I'd go with the two stripes on the sleeves and socks for Nebraska. It just doesn't look good when the stripes on the helmet, jersey, pants and socks are all the same. It's too repetitive. I think the best look is red jersey and socks with white pants at home and white jersey and socks with red pants on the road.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived