2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

Way to go Mike Haywood. At least you lasted one more week than George O'Leary did at Notre Dame, Unfortunately, you are charged with domestic violence.

EDIT: A possible home to RichRod if he is dismissed within the week?

Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"? I'd tell them "When I get acquitted, either you rehire me or I sue you for most of what you've got!"

While Haywood hasn't gone to trial for this yet, as the coach of a major university's football program, there are standards that one should live up to. Domestic violence is just plain unacceptable at any level, weather he is innocent or guilty. This incident will be like a big stain on his resume. Will he get a job elsewhere? It's possible.. But I can tell you that BCS programs will look at this and have second thoughts about hiring him.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll bet his contract had a morals clause. I'd say getting hemmed up on a domestic violence charge would violate that.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Do you have proof of a lay down other than speculation?

My speculation of a lay down is far more reasonable given the nature of American College students than your speculation of COMPETITIVE PRIDE still existing during a holiday vacation to the American South.

(For :censored: s sake, it's hard to get your strawman undergrad at a state school to do homework, which is just SLIGHTLY more meaningful (in that there can be negative consequences for poor performance) than an exhibition game, in a timely, competitive manner.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Way to go Mike Haywood. At least you lasted one more week than George O'Leary did at Notre Dame, Unfortunately, you are charged with domestic violence.

Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"? I'd tell them "When I get acquitted, either you rehire me or I sue you for most of what you've got!"

Probably because they read this article.

Money quotes:

Assistant St. Joseph County Police Chief Bill Redman says Haywood was arrested about 3 p.m. Friday after a custody issue developed with a woman with whom Haywood has a child. The unidentified woman told police that Haywood grabbed her by the arm and neck and pushed her as she tried to leave.

Redman says the woman had marks on her neck, arms and back.

Dude's guilty as hell and everybody knows it.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

While Haywood hasn't gone to trial for this yet, as the coach of a major university's football program, there are standards that one should live up to. Domestic violence is just plain unacceptable at any level, weather he is innocent or guilty. This incident will be like a big stain on his resume. Will he get a job elsewhere? It's possible.. But I can tell you that BCS programs will look at this and have second thoughts about hiring him.

"Domestic violence is just plain unacceptable at any level, weather (sic) he is innocent or guilty."

Do you realize how little sense that sentence makes? So if he's not guilty, he should still be worthy of blame? I forgot this is France now...

I'll bet his contract had a morals clause. I'd say getting hemmed up on a domestic violence charge would violate that.

It certainly would...if he was guilty.

I think I know why Pitt did this though...if he is convicted, the NCAA might require Pitt to vacate any wins they get under him...unfortunately they still think this is 1953.

bYhYmxh.png

Did you even read the article about his arrest?

EDIT-In 1953 the NCAA would have lit up a pipe, offered him a lounge coat and a seated him in an easy chair while laughing and saying "Women" lynched his arse. (forgot he was black for a moment) <_<:rolleyes:

Today, we are all otaku.

If he was proven innocent, then you have a point. Problem is that the evidence here is pretty overwhelming. I mean, the guy pushed her, not to mention left marks on her.

I get it. You are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. What I was saying with that comment that you pointed out is that wether you are innocent or gulity, the spectre of domestic violence lingers. The mental scars on both the victim and the attacker will last for a lifetime. Even if a court of his peers finds him innocent, he'll still have to live down the fact that he got arrested and went to trial for this crime.

If he was proven innocent, then you have a point. Problem is that the evidence here is pretty overwhelming. I mean, the guy pushed her, not to mention left marks on her.

I get it. You are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. What I was saying with that comment that you pointed out is that wether you are innocent or gulity, the spectre of domestic violence lingers. The mental scars on both the victim and the attacker will last for a lifetime. Even if a court of his peers finds him innocent, he'll still have to live down the fact that he got arrested and went to trial for this crime.

I understand now...but if he's aquitted, then the spectre's on Pitt because they fired an innocent man.

bYhYmxh.png

Is UCONN the worst team to ever play in a bcs bowl?

They're 8-4, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember right off the top of my head, Purdue was also 8-4 when they went to the Rose Bowl in 2001 (although they were, by no means, a bad team at all).

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

My speculation of a lay down is far more reasonable given the nature of American College students than your speculation of COMPETITIVE PRIDE still existing during a holiday vacation to the American South.

(For :censored: s sake, it's hard to get your strawman undergrad at a state school to do homework, which is just SLIGHTLY more meaningful (in that there can be negative consequences for poor performance) than an exhibition game, in a timely, competitive manner.)

A lot do do their homework. The others went for the sole reason to PLAY FOOTBALL. Plus, why lay down when you have NFL scouts to impress? Answer this question and the one about being out of the conference championship hunt, please.

Is UCONN the worst team to ever play in a bcs bowl?

Considering they're only down 10 to the #7 team in the country and, on paper, a far superior opponent, I would be inclined to say no.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

A lot do do their homework. The others went for the sole reason to PLAY FOOTBALL. Plus, why lay down when you have NFL scouts to impress? Answer this question and the one about being out of the conference championship hunt, please.

But not on time. Or well. And those who went to play football also went to get laid, party, and generally have the time of their lives for 4 years. As for laying down versus impressing scouts, well, the threat of crippling injury and whatnot tends to outweigh the marginal utility of showing up in an exhibition game and you have to really, catastrophically Jason-White-is-self-destructing-on-national-television-in-the-National-Title-Game suck to HARM your draft status. (Seriously, who recently has IMPROVED their draft stock based solely on Bowl play. Vince Young?) If NFL scouts base their evaluations and teams stack their draft boards based on one game, well, that's a recipe for utter failure and NFL teams know it.

As for playing well after being eliminated, yet hitting 7 wins...would YOU rather vacay in Florida around New Year's Day or in Boise/Nashville/Mobile/Some other Godforsaken hellhole with a football stadium and literally nothing else in late December or the first week of January. If you win more, you get a nicer vacation spot. Sounds like an incentive to your mercenary collegians to me.

Today, we are all otaku.

Do you think teams lay down after they are no longer in the running for their conference title?

You had a point when you said the Big Ten put on a "pathetic display" today. But that's where it ends. You are giving bowl games way too much importance in the overall scheme of things. Some teams mail it in. Others don't. It probably depends on the season a team had vs. the expectations of that season. So yeah, some teams are going to mail it in. To think otherwise is just naive.

You're letting your one good point go to your head. B)

BB52Big.jpg

2011%20January%201%2014%2053%204.jpeg

To gary & other Michigan fans on here, sorry.

To any Mississippi State fans (I know there's one or two on here) & Michigan haters (such as infrared), HOT DAMN THAT GATOR BOWL CONTEST WAS AWESOME, WASN'T IT?! 52-14 WOW WOW WOW

EDIT: Also filed under awesome: TCU proving what I knew all along this season. TCU really should've been the main non-AQ team getting all of the attention. I knew when they smashed Utah @ that snakepit of a stadium known as Rice-Eccles that this team could play with anybody in the nation. They proved it in the Rose Bowl. Hooray TCU.

I don't think anyone will disagree with me in saying that the Big Ten had the worst day in a long time.

Wisconsin lost a very close game in the Rose Bowl to TCU. Heck, who knows what would happen if that two point conversion was scored.

Northwestern made a valiant effort in the TicketCity Bowl, but fell short. Penn State, despite leading in the Outback Bowl, fell to Florida.

And then there were the Michigan teams, who were crushed to the tune of 101-21 combined.

Let's hope Ohio State doesn't lay an egg in the Sugar Bowl.

Archived