2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SI's Stewart Mandel's BCS bowl projetions...

Rose: Wisconsin (Big Ten champ) vs. Boise State (at-large)

Fiesta: Oklahoma State (Big 12 champ) vs. Pittsburgh (Big East champ)

Orange: Virginia Tech (ACC champ) vs. TCU (at-large)

Sugar: LSU (at-large) vs. Ohio State (at-large) (Great, I'll get to see LSU kick the :censored: out of Ohio State again.)

BCS Championship: Oregon (BCS No. 1) vs. Auburn (BCS No. 2)

BB52Big.jpg

Sugar: LSU (at-large) vs. Ohio State (at-large) (Great, I'll get to see LSU kick the :censored: out of Ohio State again.)

Based on what? What he thinks the end of the season will look like? (Which would mean he thinks Boise would jump TCU if that's the case).

6fQjS3M.png

Based on what? What he thinks the end of the season will look like? (Which would mean he thinks Boise would jump TCU if that's the case).

It's probably based on the assumption that nobody loses, which keeps things the same EXCEPT, Boise's win over Nevada vaults tem above TCU.

The TCU pick above surprises me. Most of what I have seen suggests that only one nonAQ gets in (and that is still without Stanford).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I was watching Mike and Mike today, and they kept mentioning in their sports recaps of the BCS Standings that the gap between TCU and Boise is such that if Boise wins against ranked Nevada they will pass TCU by percentage points.

Basically Utah screwed over TCU.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

It's probably based on the assumption that nobody loses, which keeps things the same EXCEPT, Boise's win over Nevada vaults tem above TCU.

The TCU pick above surprises me. Most of what I have seen suggests that only one nonAQ gets in (and that is still without Stanford).

Only one gets an automatic bid (to the Rose Bowl if a Pac-10 team is in the championship). But much like last year the political situation around the Bowls (antitrust investigation) will dictate that both will get a BCS invite. Especially if they are sitting at 3 and 4 in the BCS Standings. Plus it helps that #5 is Stanford that has a smaller fan base to begin with.

Nothing but his opinion I guess. I just thought it was interesting that he has both Boise and TCU getting BCS bids.

BB52Big.jpg

Kellen's the same height as Drew Brees, interestingly. Since height isn't a huge problem for Brees, it might not be for Kellen (fingers crossed). It helps that Kellen is a master at the two minute drill and has what he describes as "Vulcan-like focus" during games, both skills that will translate really well to the NFL.

/In before being called a homer.

He also has the arm strength of a middle school girl. I know there was concern about Drew Brees' arm strength, but he can make throws that I'm not convinced Moore can make. When he throws the ball deep downfield, there's way too much hang time.

This got a chuckle out of me. How does Boise State consistently win with such a weak-armed QB?

Ohio State's president rips Boise State and TCU.

Funny how he goes after their schedules. Marshall, Ohio University, Eastern Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, and Michigan really have me quaking in my boots! How could ANYONE survive the grind of that slate? :rolleyes:

Miami, Wisconsin, and Iowa were the only three teams they played that were ranked at the time. Coincidentally, Boise State has/had three ranked teams on their schedule, too: Virginia Tech, Oregon State, and Nevada. Maybe the president of tOSU should look at his school's own schedule before running his mouth about other teams'.

EDIT: Ironic quote from him too on his views on a playoff system: "It's not about this incessant drive to have a national championship because I think that's a slippery slope to professionalism." Huh, that's funny. I guess the various pay-for-play incidents at Alabama, Auburn, Texas Tech, Kentucky, Oklahoma, and USC in the BCS era didn't happen then?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Funny how he goes after their schedules. Marshall, Ohio University, Eastern Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, and Michigan really have me quaking in my boots! How could ANYONE survive the grind of that slate? :rolleyes:

Miami, Wisconsin, and Iowa were the only three teams they played that were ranked at the time. Coincidentally, Boise State has/had three ranked teams on their schedule, too: Virginia Tech, Oregon State, and Nevada. Maybe the president of tOSU should look at his school's own schedule before running his mouth about other teams'.

EDIT: Ironic quote from him too: "It's not about this incessant drive to have a national championship because I think that's a slippery slope to professionalism." Huh, that's funny. I guess the various pay-for-play incidents at Alabama, Auburn, Texas Tech, Kentucky, Oklahoma, and USC in the BCS era didn't happen then?

I swear the homerism of yours is laughable. Put Boise State into the Big Ten for one season and see how many losses they can come up with when they play these teams. It won't be as funny when they could be 4 losses in. I seriously think they would not be able to play with the boys over there. Nor do I think they could play in any other conference. But yet when you have teams like San Diego State, Idaho, Fresno State, New Mexico State and Toledo in your schedule you'd think your the best as well

Boise State would be getting Big Ten money, Big Ten resources, Big Ten facilities, and Big Ten recruits if they were in the Big Ten. With all that, plus the amazing system and coaching they have now, they would at least compete in the Big Ten.

Hell, Boise's football budget is $6.85 million and their team is stocked with two and three-star recruits, and they beat AQ teams with far bigger budgets and a host of four and five-star recruits every year now. With the upgrades that come with moving into a big conference, Boise State football would be even better. Not trying to be a homer here, this is just common sense.

/In before being called a homer because I dared to so much as mention one of my favorite teams. The nerve of me! :rolleyes:

xLmjWVv.png

Boise State would be getting Big Ten money, Big Ten resources, Big Ten facilities, and Big Ten recruits if they were in the Big Ten. With all that, plus the amazing system and coaching they have now, they would at least compete in the Big Ten.

Hell, Boise's football budget is $6.85 million and their team is stocked with two and three-star recruits, and they beat AQ teams with far bigger budgets and a host of four and five-star recruits every year now. With the upgrades that come with moving into a big conference, Boise State football would be even better. Not trying to be a homer here, this is just common sense.

Oh, and RE: me being called a homer as soon as I even so much as mention one of my favorite teams:other_beatingA_DeadHorse.gif

You're right they would be comepetitive in the first couple years, but the Big Ten would figure the system out and would go right to mediocrity, just look at the Penn State football team. Sure they were in their prime when they came in. But you really think the Broncos would go undefeated if they would meet Wisconsin, Michigan, Nebraska, Penn State and Ohio State on a constant basis? I wouldn't see them getting 8 wins for a while. May be common sense, but you are the one beating a dead horse whenever someone mentions Boise State in negativity within an inch of any kind of college football. That's not common sense, that's just blatant homerism

That is a good point about teams figuring out Petersen's system after a while, but I think Petersen would be smart enough to tweak the system over time to respond to his competition and his own team.

As for your second point, would you really stay silent if your team was going undefeated and blowing through their schedule again, but they still were taking :censored: from the media every single day? I certainly am fed up with the attacks on Boise State coming from all sides. Somebody's got to defend them, and since Petersen and the players refuse to comment on anything BCS-related, it's up to the fans to do it.

People act like I'm the only one who constantly defends Boise State. That's not true. Go to pretty much any college football website and you'll find plenty of people making the same points I do.

Back on the scheduling thing - tOSU's median schedule ranking in the BCS computers is 69, compared to Boise's 73 ranking. That's not a big enough difference to justify insults about BSU's schedule, period.

xLmjWVv.png

EDIT: Ironic quote from him too on his views on a playoff system: "It's not about this incessant drive to have a national championship because I think that's a slippery slope to professionalism." Huh, that's funny. I guess the various pay-for-play incidents at Alabama, Auburn, Texas Tech, Kentucky, Oklahoma, and USC in the BCS era didn't happen then?

E. Gordon Gee was trying to be much nicer than he could have been. Since this is his second era at tOSU, he just could have said something to this effect: If I and the rest of the Big Ten and Pac-10 presidents did not sign off on creating the BCS from the Bowl Alliance, where would your programs in the WAC, C-USA, and Mountain West be today? Still playing in the California Raisin Bowl or Silicon Valley Classic? Would the Mountain West have really formed?

In addition, players have been paid in all sports for decades, since you live in SoCal, here is a name for you, Sam Gilbert. Also, at the time of SMU's "death penalty", TCU was given probation for the also payments to players.

First of all, Sam Gilbert was tied up in UCLA basketball, not football. Not sure how that's supposed to relate. Also, I specifically said "in the BCS era." The SMU and TCU incidents were way before the BCS existed. My point was that you can't pretend that a playoff system would encourage pay-for-play and that the BCS isn't doing that. Cheating is going to happen no matter what system you have, it's just a matter of finding and punishing the schools that cheat.

xLmjWVv.png

First of all, Sam Gilbert was tied up in UCLA basketball, not football. Not sure how that's supposed to relate. Also, I specifically said "in the BCS era." The SMU and TCU incidents were way before the BCS existed. My point was that you can't pretend that a playoff system would encourage pay-for-play and that the BCS isn't doing that. Cheating is going to happen no matter what system you have, it's just a matter of finding and punishing the schools that cheat.

It happens, just like you could make a correlation between when a team gets to the "championship level", they get more players arrested.

1970's: Oklahoma

1980's: Oklahoma, Miami

1990's: Florida State, Nebraska, Michigan

2000's: Florida, Oregon State, Oregon

People act like I'm the only one who constantly defends Boise State. That's not true. Go to pretty much any college football website and you'll find plenty of people making the same points I do.

But on other websites, blogs... those who may point out those points are able to talk about the other 119 teams in FBS football.

Archived