2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

I wouldn't go that far. Yes, the Mountain West is better this year, and so's the WAC to an extent (at the top), but there's no way the Big East is MAC/Sun Belt/C-USA bad.

That RU game against Syracuse was some of the worst football I seen all year.

Every time Ive seen a Big East game this year I have been less and less impressed.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Syracuse Orange. BCS bound!!! Hey, it's hardly some abstract concept. Seriously, how great would that be? Lights Out would have a stroke.

Actually, I'd be fine with that. Syracuse would be absolutely slaughtered by an actually good team, adding even more evidence to the antitrust lawsuit and swaying public opinion even more towards a playoff.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Just for fun, I looked up all-time conference records in the BCS.

As you'd expect, the SEC is on top with a .737 winning percentage in 19 appearances.

The Big East is .500 with 12 appearances, followed by the Big Ten that is .467 with 21 appearances (the most by a Big Ten conference).

The worst BCS conference? The ACC -- 2-10 all time in the BCS.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Big East has been bad in recent years, but this year its equal to the Sun Belt bad, I think the MAC and Conference USA have been stronger this year.

The Syracuse Orange. BCS bound!!! Hey, it's hardly some

abstract concept. Seriously, how great would that be? Lights Out would have a stroke.

My goodness, that just sounds strange. Well, then again, the whole Big East is strange this year. I thought West Virginia had a shot to take it, but they're obviously not doing well. Syracuse was probably the last team I'd ever think of winning the conference. I almost feel compelled to root for them, what a story it'd be if they ending up going and WINNING a BCS bowl....that's a big capital IF of course :P

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Michigan actually has a winning record for the season again. Don't get me wrong, i'm still not sure about RRod, but he keeps winning, he'll start gaining my trust

7-3. Not bad at all. I think they win one of their last two and go 8-4. I just hope that win isn't in Columbus in two weeks.

BB52Big.jpg

Michigan actually has a winning record for the season again. Don't get me wrong, i'm still not sure about RRod, but he keeps winning, he'll start gaining my trust

7-3. Not bad at all. I think they win one of their last two and go 8-4. I just hope that win isn't in Columbus in two weeks.

Red, you know I want this to happen, first time in forever that Michigan beats Ohio State is all good to me. That would get RRod in my camp

RRod may have a good record but so far he is 0-3 vs Sparty and 0-2 against THE Ohio State. He may get another ear and based on reecord he should but unless he finds away to beat both teams soon he will be gone.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

The Syracuse Orange. BCS bound!!! Hey, it's hardly some abstract concept. Seriously, how great would that be? Lights Out would have a stroke.

Actually, I'd be fine with that. Syracuse would be absolutely slaughtered by an actually good team, adding even more evidence to the antitrust lawsuit and swaying public opinion even more towards a playoff.

I'm curious...what is it you're expecting this lawsuit to do towards college football? You seem so hung up on this lawsuit, and that it'll result in this major, seismic shakeup of D-I football.

At very least, if Boise State and the Mountain West Conference win this lawsuit, the concept of automatic qualifiers will most likely be removed since it has caused the system to be blatantly rigged towards big-money schools. However, considering the current hostile political climate towards the BCS, if they lose, people are saying it could be the end of the BCS entirely.

Honestly, I'm shocked the BCS has lasted this long. Mathematically, the NCAA and the schools stand to profit more from a playoff system - more games for the top FBS programs means more tickets sold, more games to collect ratings revenue from, more merchandise sales at the stadiums, etc. than what they're getting from the antiquated bowl system.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

At very least, if Boise State and the Mountain West Conference win this lawsuit, the concept of automatic qualifiers will most likely be removed since it has caused the system to be blatantly rigged towards big-money schools. However, considering the current hostile political climate towards the BCS, if they lose, people are saying it could be the end of the BCS entirely.

Honestly, I'm shocked the BCS has lasted this long. Mathematically, the NCAA and the schools stand to profit more from a playoff system - more games for the top FBS programs means more tickets sold, more games to collect ratings revenue from, more merchandise sales at the stadiums, etc. than what they're getting from the antiquated bowl system.

They have to file a suit before you can win it. In addition, since the Utah Attorney General has not done it yet may prove that it is not as slam dunk as most may think.

The U.S. antitrust laws are at the center of this storm. Surely, the Football Bowl Subdivision elite cannot continue to perpetuate their football dominance through such an exclusionary arrangement. At least, that is the reasoning of those arguing for reform. Unfortunately, the antitrust laws do not provide the necessary fix so many are seeking ? not without ignoring how the BCS originated and where college football would be without it.

...there is no real consumer harm at play. Sure, the subsidiary BCS teams and non-BCS teams are subject to unequal (and possibly unfair) treatment. But that is not the constituency of primary antitrust concern. That party, rather, is the ultimate consumer ? here, the college football fan (and perhaps the TV networks and sponsoring bowls). They have fared much better under the BCS. Whether they could do even better under a playoff system is simply not part of the analysis.

There is an abstract available here which details how anyone who sues under The Sherman Act can win and there really are not many.

I'm curious...what is it you're expecting this lawsuit to do towards college football? You seem so hung up on this lawsuit, and that it'll result in this major, seismic shakeup of D-I football.

Same here. It's like he has money on it or something. I think it's sort of sad really.

BB52Big.jpg

RRod may have a good record but so far he is 0-3 vs Sparty and 0-2 against THE Ohio State. He may get another ear and based on reecord he should but unless he finds away to beat both teams soon he will be gone.

I don't think that would be good idea, that would only help him hear the rumors of his firing...

Sorry, I should've said "rumored" lawsuit. Even if the lawsuit doesn't happen now, I don't think the BCS will survive for long anyway as schools start to realize how much more money they could be making with a playoff system.

No kidding. Did anyone read that article in SI last week?Man do these bowls screw the schools. I had no idea that teams have to buy literally thousands of tickets or that they have to buy tickets for each member of the band etc. The Buckeyes made a BCS bowl but by the time the money was split up between the Big Ten, expenses, etc., they ended up losing something like 80 grand on the deal. You get BCS payout and lose money? It's even worse for the schools that make the "little" bowls. Michigan said that they actually made money by not going to bowl games the past couple seasons.

Yeah, something needs to be done.

BB52Big.jpg

For the record Francine, it's The Ohio State University not The Ohio State. Also, "The Ohio State University" is not some sort of affectation. It's the actual name of the school.

BB52Big.jpg

It's not so much about money as it is power.

The powers that these school presidents have are numerous, and they will not give up include postseason play and the ability to make their own schedules. If the NCAA gets involved with the postseason, they'll also be involved in making everyone's schedules. In turn, now that the NCAA makes the schedules, the small, non-BCS schools won't be able to negociate these financial deals they make with the "big boys" that fund their athletic programs, which will do the small schools more harm than help. The NCAA will want to operate under an "Everyone is equal" mindset.

I'm still trying to figure out where you're claiming anti-trust. If other schools in the same predicament as Boise State are benefitting from the system in place, how can BSU say things aren't fair? BSU and the other non-AQ schools agreed to the policies in place, and very well know that if they aren't in a position to automatically qualify, that they stand a good chance of getting passed over in favor of another school.

Face it...the BCS system is the best chance Boise State and it's ilk have of playing in big bowl games and generating enough of a personal income (as in, not sharing revenue with their conference mates through bowls and TV deals) to survive. The old bowl system would never let Boise State anywhere near a national championship, and an NCAA-run system would create a money squeeze on the small schools.

For the record Francine, it's The Ohio State University not The Ohio State. Also, "The Ohio State University" is not some sort of affectation. It's the actual name of the school.

Well I did that because whenever someone on SNF & MNF says hes from Ohio State he yells THE.

Yeah I read that SI article too, this has to be ended it is the most corrupt system of all time. If someone sues it will tear the NCAA apart, and the NCAA needs a good shredding.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Sorry, I should've said "rumored" lawsuit. Even if the lawsuit doesn't happen now, I don't think the BCS will survive for long anyway as schools start to realize how much more money they could be making with a playoff system.

No kidding. Did anyone read that article in SI last week?Man do these bowls screw the schools. I had no idea that teams have to buy literally thousands of tickets or that they have to buy tickets for each member of the band etc. The Buckeyes made a BCS bowl but by the time the money was split up between the Big Ten, expenses, etc., they ended up losing something like 80 grand on the deal. You get BCS payout and lose money? It's even worse for the schools that make the "little" bowls. Michigan said that they actually made money by not going to bowl games the past couple seasons.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic here but, I remember saying something to the effect of, "a playoff would make schools just as much, if not more money, than the current system if the higher seeded teams played at their home stadiums." Years ago. I knew the smaller schools made little, if any, money at smaller bowls but I had no idea that the bigger schools at biggers bowls weren't pulling in truckloads of cash. I wonder how long that's been going on and why the bigger schools are fighting so hard to lose money. That really makes no sense to me.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic here but, I remember saying something to the effect of, "a playoff would make schools just as much, if not more money, than the current system if the higher seeded teams played at their home stadiums." Years ago. I knew the smaller schools made little, if any, money at smaller bowls but I had no idea that the bigger schools at biggers bowls weren't pulling in truckloads of cash. I wonder how long that's been going on and why the bigger schools are fighting so hard to lose money. That really makes no sense to me.

No, I was serious. They use the bowls for recruiting. Especially the schools that make the smaller bowls.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived