2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

I'd heard that the NCAA has requested bank records from Cam and his father and wondered what would happen if they both just said no. Does anyone know?

Nothing would happen to them if they (the Newton family) did not cooperate because the NCAA does not have subpoena power. All it would do is make their investigation take longer.

If the Miss. State compliance people were told of this in January, why is it taking until now and why isn't the SEC making him sit?

Because the SEC is an elite conference. Nobody ever gets sanctioned because it's the SEC. This isn't a lower tier conference like the Pac 10 so the NCAA won't do anything. The SEC is a top tier conference, they don't have to follow rules.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the Miss. State compliance people were told of this in January, why is it taking until now and why isn't the SEC making him sit?

Part of it is gamesmanship. If Auburn is 7-3 and ranked #22, then the story becomes an afterthought, and the only folks that'd care are the folks in the state of Alabama (maybe, at most, the SEC states). But since Auburn's 10-0, ranked #2, and Newton looks to be the leading contender for the Heisman....it's a big story.

Why isn't the SEC (or Auburn) making him sit? Simple....Newton's already played in the first 10 games. Might as well play the rest of them, let the season play out, win all the games you can, and let the NCAA "vacate" the wins after the season is over.

Part of it is gamesmanship. If Auburn is 7-3 and ranked #22, then the story becomes an afterthought, and the only folks that'd care are the folks in the state of Alabama (maybe, at most, the SEC states). But since Auburn's 10-0, ranked #2, and Newton looks to be the leading contender for the Heisman....it's a big story.

Why isn't the SEC (or Auburn) making him sit? Simple....Newton's already played in the first 10 games. Might as well play the rest of them, let the season play out, win all the games you can, and let the NCAA "vacate" the wins after the season is over.

If all this information was given in January, then he never hits the field, thus MSU and Florida (or any other SEC school) doesn't have complain about this. Holding the information for nine months in the event in which a team is unbeaten eleven months later? If you are going to report/snitch, give them all you have at once, not piece by piece as that impacts your credibility more.

I think Auburn is tainted now, and eventually Newton will get caught either now or after the season when the Tigers will lose all their wins. There is just too much here not to believe Newton did not get some money to go to Auburn. You know the may this is going if the NCAA does not loosen the restrictions on athlete money or jobs you will you will see a collapse of college sports.

I say this yeah they get a full ride scholarship and that's valuable, but the players should be able to get some small amount of spending money that is drawn from T-Shirt and Jersey sales, especially when Auburn is selling #2 jerseys. I guarantee fans are not buying them to celebrate their current BCS ranking.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Because the SEC is an elite conference. Nobody ever gets sanctioned because it's the SEC. This isn't a lower tier conference like the Pac 10 so the NCAA won't do anything. The SEC is a top tier conference, they don't have to follow rules.

Like Ohio is a low tier state :P

IF LIFE THROWS YOU A LEMON.............KICK IT'S :censored:ING ASS!

You know guys, I thought we were all about 'Innocent until proven guilty'. This is the case here. All of these things are just words... There hasn't been a shred of evidence that has shown that Newton took any money for his signature.

People say these things and spin it so damn well that most people fall for it. I think we, the people who like College Football, ought to wait and see for an answer.

You know guys, I thought we were all about 'Innocent until proven guilty'. This is the case here. All of these things are just words... There hasn't been a shred of evidence that has shown that Newton took any money for his signature.

People say these things and spin it so damn well that most people fall for it. I think we, the people who like College Football, ought to wait and see for an answer.

FBI being interested about interstate money transfers aside, this isn't the US Justice system. There is no presumption of innocence outside of the court of law. And speaking as someone who likes college football, I'd rather we figure this out fairly quickly because I do not want to find out that Cam Newton is Super Special Reggie Bush Level ineligible a month from now after Auburn is committed to playing in the National Championship Game.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It is overall a few "sources", one who broke federal law in disseminating the academic fraud case at Florida (they violated FERPA).

Miss State snitched on Auburn to try to get less of a punishment for themselves.

The ACJ (Atlanta Journal-Constitution) was at the church of Mr. Newton this week and no repairs have been done, but the building has been taken off the condemned list.

The City of Newnan granted Newton at least three extensions to bring the building up to code before it was taken off the city?s condemned list in October.

City records show the church needed to make $50,000 in repairs to keep its building from being torn down.

Council member Rhodes Shell, who represents the district where the church is located, said Newton made gradual improvements on the property and updated the city on his progress, which is why they kept giving him more time.

The town thought that the repairs were to be paid by Cecil Newton II, who is on the JAX practice squad.

Aside: Today was a great day to listen to Finebaum. Who did you call in as today, 'willmorris'?

Possibly coming to a satellite box near you...

Longhorn Sports Network (Powered by ESPN)

Early programming ideas-

First Show: Darrell K. Royal's "Royal Throne"

Second Show: "Fillin' The Blanks" with Lance Blanks

In primetime, "Earl Campbell's Hot Links and Horns Talk"

1:00 AM: Secrets of China's terracotta army. Presented by the University Co-Op Bookstore

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Possibly coming to a satellite box near you...

Longhorn Sports Network (Powered by ESPN)

Early programming ideas-

First Show: Darrell K. Royal's "Royal Throne"

Second Show: "Fillin' The Blanks" with Lance Blanks

In primetime, "Earl Campbell's Hot Links and Horns Talk"

1:00 AM: Secrets of China's terracotta army. Presented by the University Co-Op Bookstore

Unlike the BTN, programming will be a huge issue (distribution as issue #1). They will end up running as many infomercials as either versus or G4!

They need the concepts. A mini-series on their side regarding the Marcus Dupree recruitment.

NOTE: For those who did not see the two hour "30 for 30" on Dupree, do so. I was around 9 or 10 when he was a back, and he was hyped and more exciting than for those who are younger would think of Maurice Clarett his FROSH year. His story is not unlike many others at the time, but still great to watch.

Great. Just what we need, another troll.

BB52Big.jpg

I agree 95%. It would be 100% if it weren't for the fact that I've yet to hear Cam or his father deny taking money. From what I've seen, they aren't saying much at all. There's also the fact that he's showcased his skills in what would be his only college season played at Auburn before he makes the jump to the NFL (providing he's eligable for the draft and I'm pretty sure he is), so what exactly does Cam Newton lose in this? An NFL team WILL draft him, he's got too much talent for a team not to take a chance, and it's not like the NFL will fine him or anything. Maybe he gives back the Heisman if he's guilty. So what? With the potential to make millions upon millions of dollars in the NFL, he can issue a replica made. With himself on it. In gold. With diamond eyes.

...I need to get into the NFL somehow. :P

I agree 95%. It would be 100% if it weren't for the fact that I've yet to hear Cam or his father deny taking money. From what I've seen, they aren't saying much at all. There's also the fact that he's showcased his skills in what would be his only college season played at Auburn before he makes the jump to the NFL (providing he's eligable for the draft and I'm pretty sure he is), so what exactly does Cam Newton lose in this? An NFL team WILL draft him, he's got too much talent for a team not to take a chance, and it's not like the NFL will fine him or anything. Maybe he gives back the Heisman if he's guilty. So what? With the potential to make millions upon millions of dollars in the NFL, he can issue a replica made. With himself on it. In gold. With diamond eyes.

...I need to get into the NFL somehow. :P

You never know. With how Roger Goodell is pushing this "personal conduct" things, who says he doesn't banish Newton from the league? I mean, I wouldn't, as neither he nor Auburn has done anything wrong here.

LvZYtbZ.png

I don't think what I was doing came off clear enough. That was my willmorris impression.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't think what I was doing came off clear enough. That was my willmorris impression.

I know. I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to whatever a "Local Vulture" is.

BB52Big.jpg

So the #4 team in the country is playing their bitter rival on the road, with a Heisman contender under center an early 28-0 lead... and all ESPN can talk about during the game is Cam Newton. Nice.

They're also playing in an airline hanger/high school gymnasium hybrid that isn't helping the game much. And the rival will continue to be bitter, because they're just a battering post for said #4 team.

The amount of interesting in this game is near zero. Everyone knows that Boise just has to keep doing what they are doing (blowing out low-class opponents) and finish undefeated. Boise is just waiting and hoping 2 of Oregon/Auburn/TCU slip up. Boise itself can't do all that much. It's all but a formality that they will end up undefeated.

Their fate is in other teams' hands. There isn't much for them to talk about. As it stands, the Cam Newton thing is the most interesting story in college football. Deal with it for now.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

They're also playing in an airline hanger/high school gymnasium hybrid that isn't helping the game much.

Tell me about it. The Kibbie Dome is a rotting hole of a stadium, perfect for the Vandals' rotting hole of a program. It's like a trip back to the '70s every time you see the interior. And the annoying thundersticks the fans now love are straight out of the '90s.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Oh, nice. Finally something interesting happens in this joke of a football game (why ESPN would even bother to televise Boise State - Idaho is beyond me). Some Idaho fan was using a whistle in the stands and the players stopped mid-play, so the refs had to replay the down. I can't say I've ever seen that before, that's pretty hilarious. Even more hilarious was the shot of the angry Idaho fans clad in Vandal costumes swearing up a storm in protest :P

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Archived