2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

RE: The new AP poll.

Good thing it doesn't count.

TCU is stealing "your" thunder there dude. Gonna sue them too? :P

Exactly. I really don't wanna hear people complain about Boise State going down when TCU is still hanging in there. For the umpteenth time, Boise State going down is not a conspiracy. If it was, TCU would be going down as well.

I mean, seriously, why does come up every Sunday? It's the same exact conversation week after week. All we need now is people arguing with willmorris about some obvious trollbait, and it'll be Groundhog Day up in here, up in here.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because some topics just don't die, Flame... But, unlike those who fade away, this topic just keeps showing up like a pimple that, once popped, continues to ooze (Sorry for the description there, people who are weak of stomach).

Now, I understand there is a debate here. But... There is a difference between a debate and constantly crying foul. Sorry, Lights Out, but what I see is pretty much you crying foul everytime Boise State gets jumped. I get it, you're a Boise fan. But, there is no need for you to get pissy everytime someone else jumps the Broncos. A good fan respects everyone else as well as their favorite team.

I also want to say that the government really has no business getting involved with the BCS. There are far bigger issues that could be discussed at a fuller extent on the Obama Nation thread, not here. This is NOT the time to go after the BCS when this nation is in such a poor shape.

Now, on to the main event: The new BCS Rankings...

10. Oklahoma State

9. Ohio State

8. Nebraska

7. Wisconsin

6. Stanford

5. LSU

4. Boise State

3. TCU

2. Auburn

1. Oregon

OK, folks. Get some earplugs 'cause were going to hear Lights Out crying foul again.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but you probably should get used to the great non-AQ debate, because it's not going away until either automatic qualification or the entire BC$ goes away.

It's almost all we hear about college football in the media these days, and it has even become a political/governmental issue, so it's only natural that it gets discussed constantly.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

BCS Standings:

10. Oklahoma State

9. Ohio State

8. Nebraska

7. Wisconsin

6. Stanford

5. LSU

4. Boise State .866

3. TCU .926

2. Auburn

1. Oregon

FWIW, the reason I mention the percentage for BSU and TCU is because the margin between the two has increased since last week, though the overall ranking stays the same.

I've got this as the bowls right now.

NCG: Oregon* v Auburn*

Rose: Wisconsin* v TCU*

Sugar: LSU v Stanford

Fiesta: Nebraska* v Ohio St

Orange: Virginia Tech* v Pittsburgh*

Dustin, if you want to sub Michigan State, go ahead, I'm leaving them in an effective four-way tie, in which Wisconsin wins the tiebreak.

LvZYtbZ.png

Dustin, if you want to sub Michigan State, go ahead, I'm leaving them in an effective four-way tie, in which Wisconsin wins the tiebreak.

Uh, in case your SEC addled brain didn't register it yet, Michigan State did beat Wisconsin, so therefore Michigan State would take the Rose Bowl bid. That's a very simple tiebreaker here. The only way things can go into 'tornado in a trailer park' mode is if Ohio State beats Iowa and then both Michigan State and Wisconsin must win out.

Uh, in case your SEC addled brain didn't register it yet, Michigan State did beat Wisconsin, so therefore Michigan State would take the Rose Bowl bid. That's a very simple tiebreaker here. The only way things can go into 'tornado in a trailer park' mode is if Ohio State beats Iowa and then both Michigan State and Wisconsin must win out.

Okay, but here's how the four-way tie breaks.

Ohio State, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Iowa are tied with one conference loss. The Big Ten does not use a percentage based system for this, they recognize only three scenarios to use head to head in a four-way tie.

A) One team beat all the others

B) One team lost to all the others

C) Two teams both beat both the other two teams

If none of these exist, head to head does not work.

Obviously, none of them have lost to the others, and neither have two of them each beaten the other two. None of the three have beaten the others. So head to head is moot and we go to best record. Here we drop Iowa because they have two losses where everyone else only has one.

So Ohio State, Michigan State, and Wisconsin. Nobody lost to both the others, and nobody beat both the others. Again, head to head is moot. Record doesn't help us here either - they all have one loss. So it goes to the BCS standings, and that's where Wisconsin gets it.

LvZYtbZ.png

The best teams in Boise State and TCU history are probably going to be relegated to yet another "separate but equal" bowl. Gross. :rolleyes:

IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT BOISE!

TCU is screwed in this as well. Auburn was 4th and they closely beat the 7th team in the BCS at home and went all the way to #1. TCU was #3 and dumptrucked the #5 team on the road and didn't move. Their BCS score went up, but no jumps. How is that fair? It can easily be argued TCU over Utah was a better win than Auburn over LSU.

TCU is just as screwed. TCU still needs an upset of the top 2, and they have to hope that LSU doesn't creep back up if they go and win the SEC.

Of course LSU would need to win out, and Auburn would need to lose to Georgia and Alabama (a win vs Georgia next week clinches the SEC West if I'm not mistaken?) or an Oregon loss to get to the title game.

Thinking about the SEC, would this be able to happen. (BTW, any willmorris responses to this conjecture will be disregarded. Please and thank you) Say Auburn wins out and wins the SEC, they clinch their BCS title spot. And Oregon loses somewhere, would LSU be able to jump over Boise and TCU by winning out causing an Auburn/LSU BCS title game? (In which all hell would break loose. The media firestorm, the lawsuits, and the protest to it all.) Or would that #2 spot be safe for an undefeated TCU?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Okay, but here's how the four-way tie breaks.

Ohio State, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Iowa are tied with one conference loss. The Big Ten does not use a percentage based system for this, they recognize only three scenarios to use head to head in a four-way tie.

A) One team beat all the others

B) One team lost to all the others

C) Two teams both beat both the other two teams

If none of these exist, head to head does not work.

Obviously, none of them have lost to the others, and neither have two of them each beaten the other two. None of the three have beaten the others. So head to head is moot and we go to best record. Here we drop Iowa because they have two losses where everyone else only has one.

So Ohio State, Michigan State, and Wisconsin. Nobody lost to both the others, and nobody beat both the others. Again, head to head is moot. Record doesn't help us here either - they all have one loss. So it goes to the BCS standings, and that's where Wisconsin gets it.

I honestly think you don't read the standings at all, will. Michigan State is 5-1. Wisconsin, Ohio State and Iowa are 4-1. This means that Michigan State is one half game ahead of the other three. This means Michigan State is ahead and all of your baloney about the tiebreakers is just that: Baloney spewed from an SEC fanboy.

You're right, it's not easy for TCU either. They've already played 10 games whereas Boise has only played eight - and in one of Boise's last three games, while TCU is done with their regular season, Boise is going to be playing Nevada, who will likely be in the 15-20 range in the rankings by then. A dominating win there would give Boise a boost. Also, it's very possible for Baylor and now Utah to implode down the stretch (which would hurt TCU) and for Virginia Tech to win the ACC (which would help Boise).

However, I didn't mention TCU for two reasons: one, because I don't really care about them because they're quasi-rivals to Boise, and two, as a Boise fan, I was venting about Boise (not TCU) being punished despite a blowout win against the 26th-ranked team in the country, which makes absolutely zero sense.

xLmjWVv.png

Thinking about the SEC, would this be able to happen. (BTW, any willmorris responses to this conjecture will be disregarded. Please and thank you) Say Auburn wins out and wins the SEC, they clinch their BCS title spot. And Oregon loses somewhere, would LSU be able to jump over Boise and TCU by winning out causing an Auburn/LSU BCS title game? (In which all hell would break loose. The media firestorm, the lawsuits, and the protest to it all.) Or would that #2 spot be safe for an undefeated TCU?

If you didn't get Floribama Part II in the National Title Game last year, you aren't going to get it any year under the current format. LSU will have not even played in its Conference Title Game, and the human voters are not going to look favorably upon that. Additionally, LSU's computer numbers are only going to get worse from here on out-they have Louisiana-Monroe, Mississippi, and Arkansas to close out the season.

Honestly, unbeaten TCU should get in if either Auburn or Oregon goes down.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You're right, it's not easy for TCU either. They've already played 10 games whereas Boise has only played eight - and in one of Boise's last three games, while TCU is done with their regular season, Boise is going to be playing Nevada, who will likely be in the 15-20 range in the rankings by then. A dominating win there would give Boise a boost. Also, it's very possible for Baylor and now Utah to implode down the stretch (which would hurt TCU) and for Virginia Tech to win the ACC (which would help Boise).

However, I didn't mention TCU for two reasons: one, because I don't really care about them because they're quasi-rivals to Boise, and two, as a Boise fan, I was venting about Boise (not TCU) being punished despite a blowout win against the 26th-ranked team in the country, which makes absolutely zero sense.

For the thousandth time, it doesn't matter if Boise State closes out the season by metaphorically ripping the hearts out of its opponents, setting their corpses on fire, and then raping the charred remnants. Margin of Victory DOESN'T COUNT as far as the computer polls are concerned, and that's where you get boned. Also please note that the collective suckitude of the ACC has not boosted Virginia Tech's credentials as much as you would think either.

/Of course, TCU also still has a pretty good San Diego State game left on the schedule.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's also very possible for Baylor and Utah to win out, and for Virginia Tech or Nevada to implode. Two-way street.

And I realize you are a Boise fan, but just the way you said it made it seem like Boise is the only one getting screwed. Which would apply with your track record for posting. And there is no such thing as the 26th ranked team. Wins in the Top 25 get a boost. TCU didn't get a huge boost from blowing out #5 on the road, so I doubt that Boise would have gotten much more of anything from blowing out "#26" at home.

I'm pulling for the non-AQs too, but I just get tired of Boise being the only "oh woe as me" being portrayed.

If you didn't get Floribama Part II in the National Title Game last year, you aren't going to get it any year under the current format. LSU will have not even played in its Conference Title Game, and the human voters are not going to look favorably upon that. Additionally, LSU's computer numbers are only going to get worse from here on out-they have Louisiana-Monroe, Mississippi, and Arkansas to close out the season.

Honestly, unbeaten TCU should get in if either Auburn or Oregon goes down.

Yeah. I'm with you. TCU is in that #3 with several real quality wins, including a road blowout of #5. They deserve the spot should Oregon or Auburn go down. But the Florida/Alabama thing is different, because they're in different divisions so that final title game seperates them. Whereas Auburn/LSU played earlier, giving LSU to play its way back in without playing Auburn again.

I'm not saying I was for it, I'm just exploring the possibility. Because we know the BCS is :censored: up as is, I just wanted to see if it could get even more so.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I'm pulling for the non-AQs too, but I just get tired of Boise being the only "oh woe as me" being portrayed.

TCU is in a better conference and may even be in an AQ conference soon if the Big East snags them. Boise is saddled with the WAC - which is much better this year, but nobody cares because pre-existing opinions matter more in the BCS than fact - and the possibility of a TCU-free MWC with a terrible TV contract next year and no hope of becoming an AQ school. Boise deserves to play the "woe is me" card a hell of a lot more than TCU. Not trying to be a homer here, but these are facts.

xLmjWVv.png

As a neutral fan hoping both TCU and Boise remain undefeated and make the NCG, there is no reason either of them should be ahead of Oregon or Auburn. 3 and 4 is perfect. You have to at least consider for a second conference strength. And once one of the stronger conference teams mess up, the glory is there for there the taking. I dont know, it seems a bit more cut and dry to me this year

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

For the thousandth time, it doesn't matter if Boise State closes out the season by metaphorically ripping the hearts out of its opponents, setting their corpses on fire, and then raping the charred remnants.

No, but how great would it be if Boise State actually did that?

Speaking about TCU, if they played the Cowboys who would win?

The Cowboys by 35. The worst NFL team would easily destroy the best college team.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived