2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Cam Newton's dad admitted that he talked to a former Mississippi State player about a "Pay for play" deal.

A source close to the situation exclusively told Channel 2 Action News investigative reporter Mark Winne that the player's father, Cecil Newton, has admitted having conversations with an ex-Mississippi State University player about the possibility of under-the-table money if Cam Newton signed to play football at Mississippi State, though he's steadfastly maintained that no money ever changed hands and said no official at Mississippi State ever made such an offer.

According to Winne’s source, Cecil Newton said his son’s hands are clean, and has made it clear that Cam Newton himself and his mother knew nothing about the money discussions, nor did Auburn University, with whom the Westlake High School grad from College Park eventually signed with out of junior college.

If this is ALL there is to the story, then that would mean the people in the wrong are NOT Cam, Auburn, Mississippi State, or Florida. It means that Cam's dad & the spooky mysterious anonymous former Mississippi State player would be in the wrong for even discussing the scenario. EDIT: Cam might still be in trouble though. Read the next edit.

HOWEVUH, there's already been "indications" that the NCAA may be seriously interested in this thing. All in all, I'm guessing that tomorrow will be an indicator of guilt. If Cam plays, Auburn probably isn't worried about sanctions. If Cam doesn't play, the hammer shall be dropped soon. EDIT: They probably would be scared, since if this is true & Cecil was negotiating a pay for play deal, that would make Cam technically ineligible. Ruh roh.

I'm jumping for joy though since if Cecil's telling the truth, Mississippi State is in the clear since no official from MSU made a pay-for-play offer. -phew-

So Cam Newton's dad admitted that he talked to a former Mississippi State player about a "Pay for play" deal.

A source close to the situation exclusively told Channel 2 Action News investigative reporter Mark Winne that the player's father, Cecil Newton, has admitted having conversations with an ex-Mississippi State University player about the possibility of under-the-table money if Cam Newton signed to play football at Mississippi State, though he's steadfastly maintained that no money ever changed hands and said no official at Mississippi State ever made such an offer.

According to Winne?s source, Cecil Newton said his son?s hands are clean, and has made it clear that Cam Newton himself and his mother knew nothing about the money discussions, nor did Auburn University, with whom the Westlake High School grad from College Park eventually signed with out of junior college.

If this is ALL there is to the story, then that would mean the people in the wrong are NOT Cam, Auburn, Mississippi State, or Florida. It means that Cam's dad & the spooky mysterious anonymous former Mississippi State player would be in the wrong for even discussing the scenario. EDIT: Cam might still be in trouble though. Read the next edit.

HOWEVUH, there's already been "indications" that the NCAA may be seriously interested in this thing. All in all, I'm guessing that tomorrow will be an indicator of guilt. If Cam plays, Auburn probably isn't worried about sanctions. If Cam doesn't play, the hammer shall be dropped soon. EDIT: They probably would be scared, since if this is true & Cecil was negotiating a pay for play deal, that would make Cam technically ineligible. Ruh roh.

I'm jumping for joy though since if Cecil's telling the truth, Mississippi State is in the clear since no official from MSU made a pay-for-play offer. -phew-

A source telling the investigative reporter is just like all the items which Joe Schaad has been telling us. Nothing really new. The dad needs to just listen to counsel and the bluetooth off his d@mn ear.

Every time I hear about Cam Newton's father I can't help but thinking about this.

Oh and gotta love the Idaho Dome its got all the atmosphere and the look of a self storage facility.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

According to Winne?s source, Cecil Newton said his son?s hands are clean, and has made it clear that Cam Newton himself and his mother knew nothing about the money discussions, nor did Auburn University, with whom the Westlake High School grad from College Park eventually signed with out of junior college.

It could also be that Auburn knows damn well the NCAA is going to smite the hell out of them and/or well retcon the entire season, but is willing to see how far they can get riding Newton because pssh...vacated wins are but slaps on the wrist, everyone will know who the "real" champion was, and the NCAA won't act until its too late.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't care if Boise State scores 100 points....if you're playing a Friday night game in a roller skating rink, you're not BCS material...

Just think of it as Vandy's Stadium with a roof.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't care if Boise State scores 100 points....if you're playing a Friday night game in a roller skating rink, you're not BCS material...

The "eye test" works both ways. A good team can bee seen as good, but the lesser team can be seen as poor.

When the lesser third of the conference is REALLY poor, then that needs to be talked about too.

MWC:

New Mexico 1-8

UNLV 1-8

Wyoming 2-8

Colo. St. 3-7

WAC:

San Jose St. 1-8

NM State 2-7

Utah St 3-6

LaTech 3-6

If money was not an issue, I would like to see these bottom teams play against the lesser teams on the Sun Belt and MAC.

Nice to see that ESPN, who only cared about the MWC for a gameday visit, now rips Utah's record before the TCU game, thus touting the product which they control (Boise St.).

Every time I hear about Cam Newton's father I can't help but thinking about this.

Oh and gotta love the Idaho Dome its got all the atmosphere and the look of a self storage facility.

I had other things to say, but you would have taken it as personal.

You could have used Robert Schuller's Crystal Cathedral. I am not religious, but my mom watched and wanted to go and we went in 2004.

Or you could've talked about the late Oral Roberts and his 1987 plea.

However, you went to the stereotypes which you know from pop culture and nothing else. So, so sad.

I'm ready for the USC game.

df2c2b40.jpg

The victory v is made of dollar signs.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I'm ready for the USC game.

df2c2b40.jpg

The victory v is made of dollar signs.

That fantastic U of A education and creativity at work.

Please post your macaroni pictures when you're done. We'd love to see it

:P:)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Well, I knew the Kibbie Dome was a dump (Yes, Idaho is actually trying to upgrade the damn thing. I remember watching an interview with Idaho's AD when I was watching the New Mexico State-Idaho game on ESPN3) but wow.... To actually have an ESPN game there just shocks me... Then again, ESPN has done games at stadiums used by Sun Belt schools.

As for Boise: Well, that performance was just another way of saying 'Get the hell away from us, you unwashed peons! You'll never be in my league and you'll always be a 2nd class pile crap. We're so glad to get rid of you and your crappy fans and your crappy arena.'

This is the last Boise State/Idaho game for a while, and it's not like Boise had a choice in venue. I agree, though, that the Kibbie Dome is one of the ugliest stadiums in all of college football.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

All signs point to Cam Newton playing. Auburn has decided that in the scenario where they're gonna go out, they're gonna go out in a blaze of glory.

I think they (Auburn) looked at the betting line and realized that the game was still on the board for the last 24 hours. .

I mean at this point why wouldn't they keep playing Newton?

If their all their victories are going to get stripped anyways, what do they have to lose by continuing to play him? If they get stripped, they're going to lose this season anyways. Keep playing him for the best chance to win, go out and try to win the SEC and the BCS. Deal with the consequences after.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

This is the last Boise State/Idaho game for a while, and it's not like Boise had a choice in venue. I agree, though, that the Kibbie Dome is one of the ugliest stadiums in all of college football.

Funny that you talk about a stadium when your favorite team has:

Blue turf (at a Land Grant institution!)

An athletic track around the field

Archived