2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

Meanwhile, TCU survives a slugfest with San Diego State. The Aztecs scored 35 against the TCU defense today... The Horned Frogs only gave up 17 in MWC play before this week!

Before we start blasting TCU for the close win, there's a very good chance that San Diego State will finish #2 in the Mountain West. They also took Missouri to the limit early in the season.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another sluggish start for a Top 3 team. Cal up a touchdown on Oregon, but only a dozen minutes into the game. I'm sure the Ducks will ignite in the second half, in what's sure to be a 50-point rout of the Golden Bears.

6uXNWAo.png

And? Voters are only going to see a razor-thin win against an unranked team. Also, Utah getting crushed by Notre Dame hurts TCU in the computers.

Except they were hovering around 26 or 27, so obviously voters are aware of the Aztecs' existence. And you're right, the computers will note that Notre Dame has beaten Utah. However they do not understand this "crushed" verb of which you speak. They just simply see one team beating another.

/I don't know why I have to keep bringing up MOV and its non-impact on the computer rankings.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And? Voters are only going to see a razor-thin win against an unranked team. Also, Utah getting crushed by Notre Dame hurts TCU in the computers.

Wait until the end of the night (or season ) for you to compare a conference.

How many 3-win or less teams does the WAC have?

You're assuming the BCS and the voters care beyond #25. Boise found out the hard way that they don't, after being dropped despite beating #26 Hawaii. Also, ND is not a good team at all, so their beating Utah will hurt TCU in the computers, MOV or no MOV.

They dropped, because in the same week TCU WTFPwned Utah at Utah. Now this week, Boise State did WTFPwn a team, but it was a 4 win Idaho team. Good job overawing the voters there.

Today, we are all otaku.

Problem is, Utah was TCU's signature win, and Utah looked absolutely sucky today in a loss to Notre Dame. Virginia Tech was Boise's signature win, and they've now won eight straight games and are one win away from making the ACC championship game. Pretty big difference, in favor of Boise.

Until you remember that Virginia Tech has lost to *ahem* James Madison and the ACC is confronting devastating collective mediocrity outside of Blacksburg.

Today, we are all otaku.

Problem is, Utah was TCU's signature win, and Utah looked absolutely sucky today in a loss to Notre Dame. Virginia Tech was Boise's signature win, and they've now won eight straight games and are one win away from making the ACC championship game. Pretty big difference, in favor of Boise.

Boise State needs to drop the Virginia Tech SOS thing. The Hokies can win out, win the ACC, and make a kickass bowl game -- but NOTHING will erase their loss to James Madison.

6uXNWAo.png

Let's settle this once and for all. Unless Oregon or Auburn loses (or Cam Newton renders Auburn ineligible or something) neither Boise State or TCU will be playing for the national championship. That's it. End of story. Boise or TCU will get a trip to the Rose Bowl. The other will be crying because my Ohio State Buckeyes will take their spot in the Orange or Fiesta Bowl. I'm not saying it's right. I'm just saying that's the way it is.

BB52Big.jpg

Meanwhile, TCU survives a slugfest with San Diego State. The Aztecs scored 35 against the TCU defense today... The Horned Frogs only gave up 17 in MWC play before this week!

Before we start blasting TCU for the close win, there's a very good chance that San Diego State will finish #2 in the Mountain West. They also took Missouri to the limit early in the season.

No way I'm slamming TCU for the close win because they were in control for a good chunk of the game but the Aztecs made the score closer then what everyone thought it would be.

Now, TCU has one game left on it's schedule for the quest for back-to-back 11-0 regular seasons: An extremely hapless New Mexico team in two weeks. Good luck Lobos.

I mean, if Boise got shut out of the BCS bowls completely, I would blame the Big Least team taking up a spot as well as the system in general. I wouldn't blame Ohio State at all, you guys have a great team this year and deserve to be in a BCS bowl, unlike the collection of bottom-feeders that the Big Least has trotted out this year. I would hope TCU fans would be smart enough not to blame tOSU as well.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I mean at this point why wouldn't they keep playing Newton?

If their all their victories are going to get stripped anyways, what do they have to lose by continuing to play him? If they get stripped, they're going to lose this season anyways. Keep playing him for the best chance to win, go out and try to win the SEC and the BCS. Deal with the consequences after.

Stiffer penalties from the NCAA...

Archived