2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

In other news, the Cam Newton scandal is officially out of control.

If even one-half of all the information compiled in that thread is true, Auburn is screwed for over a decade, their status as an SEC school is in deep danger, and there's even rumblings that their accreditation would be in danger (although I find it hard to believe that the accreditation would be taken away).

Damn... If, like you said, half of the info is true then Auburn is going to suffer big time. One wonders could the NCAA bust out it's nuke for this situation since Auburn could be considered a 'repeat offender' for the previous probation period.... Hmmm.

I will recall the process from personal experience as I was on a committee who prepared documents from 2000-02 for a university reaccreditation. A college's accreditation occurs once every ten years, but the school generally prepared its documents 24-30 months prior. Schools in the south are accredited by SACS (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools). There are a set of standards which SACS has on the entirety university and the school must give SACS a report six months prior to a campus visit by SACS (generally high level administrators of member schools).

In Auburn's case, they were placed on one year probation by SACS in 2003. While specifics are not public knowledge, we do know that there was complaint filed in 2001 by a Joint Assessment Committee of the University Senate. In addition the student government had issues with the Trustees. Lack of administration control of the Board of Trustees specifically into the athletic department and how they meddled in the daily business of the school were rumored. Trustee Bobby Lowder is thought of as the focal point of the probation and the BOT was forced to have greater ethical standards and had to sign agreements not to have conflicts of interest. Auburn has had two presidents since the issue and were put back in good standing in 2004.

(Note: Georgia Tech was on SACS probation in 1997 and Grambling was also under probation in 2001).

No accreditation = No Federal research $$$. Auburn does not get that much Federal R&D money, just $15MM in 2009, but it is research money.

As for "repeat offender", not so sure since from their 2004 probation, the NCAA report notes this:

As required by NCAA legislation for any institution involved in a major infractions case, Auburn University is subject to the provisions of NCAA Bylaw 19.5.2.3, concerning repeat violators for a five-year period beginning on the effective date of the penalties in this case, April 27, 2004.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After watching the Big 10 yesterday, I see really bad things happening in the bowl season for them. I'm seeing a lot of Big 10 teams getting blown out in their bowl games and that is including the best of them currently, Wisconsin. I am not impressed by any of the big-time schools from big-time conferences this year. The only team from a big-time conference that is looking top-notch week in and week out is Oregon. I'm watching a lot of these top teams giving up 35-40 points and winning. Yes, I do understand that winning is what matters, and I agree with that, but whether it be Big 10, Big 12, or SEC teams, a lot of these teams aren't looking that good on defense. I wouldn't be shocked to see Auburn loose to Alabama and then loose by 24 to South Carolina. I'm not saying that South Carolina is that good, but that Auburn isn't that good and that they have the makings of a team that when they loose everything will fall apart. But overall, I'm not impressed at all by many of these so-called big teams this year. I'm just not wondering if College Football hasn't recruited too many athletes and not enough football players who understand how to play the game and be in position and tackle. I just keep seeing crappy undisciplined play week after week.

Then of course there's Cam Newton, or shall I call him JaMarcus Russell part deux. I just see this athlete who can run with the ball and throw the ball and how people are so in "awe" of him. Yet, my gut says he's as good as he is because of the undisciplined players on the other side and that when you get to the professional level he will be just as a lot of these other so-called "athletic" quarterbacks that everyone is raving about and we won't see them except when they finally end up on the cut list three years down the line when the team realizes that these guys don't get the position. Oh and it's not a black thing, I'm expecting that out of Tim Tebow. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning weren't athletes, but they know they game and what they need to do to get their teammates involved. These athlete quaterbacks don't get that. It's not that they can't learn it, but 99% of them won't get the position, that it's not about you but how to make your teammates better. The Auburn offense is built around Cam Newton and he is talented and they have won, but his development as a QB and a leader is minimal. If I had Cam Newton on my team as a coach, I'd use him the same way, but that doesn't mean that it's what's best for Cam and we'll see that in the NFL.

Prolly why you see players like Matt Moore and Joe Flacco in the NFL but players like Pat White and Tim tebow are struggling. The NFL is bred for "QB" QBs not "QB/RB" QBs. I know Mike Vick is getting hot again but mainly because he's finally playing like a QB.

Which is also why I think Pryor and (even though I am huge fan and I love his play) Colin Kaepernick aren't gonna be very good in the NFL, however I do think Kellen Moore (a bit undersized) would make a great NFL QB because he plays the position and know what to do without making mistakes.

spacer.png

Kellen's the same height as Drew Brees, interestingly. Since height isn't a huge problem for Brees, it might not be for Kellen (fingers crossed). It helps that Kellen is a master at the two minute drill and has what he describes as "Vulcan-like focus" during games, both skills that will translate really well to the NFL.

/In before being called a homer.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Kellen's the same height as Drew Brees, interestingly. Since height isn't a huge problem for Brees, it might not be for Kellen (fingers crossed). It helps that Kellen is a master at the two minute drill and has what he describes as "Vulcan-like focus" during games, both skills that will translate really well to the NFL.

Kellen has not been to the NFL combine; please wait until his truer stats are given there before you compare him to others.

Please think about that when he is interviewed postgame, Heather Cox is a six feet w/o heels as she was a former NCAA volleyball player. Erin Andrews is 5'10".

Kellen has not been to the NFL combine; please wait until his truer stats are given there before you compare him to others.

Please think about that when he is interviewed postgame, Heather Cox is a six feet w/o heels as she was a former NCAA volleyball player. Erin Andrews is 5'10".

The combine is a crock though.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The combine is a crock though.

Then we will see what he has if he is invited to the Senior Bowl as well

He also has the arm strength of a middle school girl. I know there was concern about Drew Brees' arm strength, but he can make throws that I'm not convinced Moore can make. When he throws the ball deep downfield, there's way too much hang time.

IUe6Hvh.png

ACC: Virginia Tech (7-0)

Big East: Pittsburgh (4-1)

Big Ten: Wisconsin (6-1) (highest in BCS of tied teams)

Big XII: Oklahoma State (6-1)

Pac-10: Oregon (7-0)

SEC: Auburn (7-0)

#1 Oregon and #2 Auburn are off to the National Championship Game. By rule, #7 Wisconsin goes to Rose, #16 Virginia Tech to Orange, and #9 Oklahoma State to Fiesta.

#3 TCU is guaranteed a spot as an at-large as the highest-ranking non-AQ team. By rule, they must be placed in the Rose Bowl, as Oregon has vacated it. The remaining at-large pool looks like this:

4 Boise State, 5 LSU, 6 Stanford, 8 Ohio State, 10 Michigan State, 11 Alabama, 12 Arkansas, 13 Oklahoma, 14 Missouri

The Sugar has the next choice, to replace Auburn, and they take #5 LSU. This eliminates #11 Alabama and #12 Arkansas from consideration, leaving BSU/STAN/OSU/MSU/OKLA/MIZZ. Sugar also has the next selection, and I think they take #6 Stanford.

Orange has the next choice, and they take #8 Ohio State. This leaves the Fiesta Bowl to take Pittsburgh.

In short:

Rose: #7 Wisconsin v #3 TCU

Fiesta: #9 Oklahoma State v Pittsburgh

Orange: #16 Virginia Tech v #8 Ohio State

Sugar: #5 LSU v #6 Stanford

NCG: #1 Oregon v #2 Auburn

LvZYtbZ.png

I agree. The combine is where we really see what players are made of. Just ask Jeff George or Mike Mamula. :rolleyes:

Or Matt Jones. <_<

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

He also has the arm strength of a middle school girl.

He's actually improved his arm strength over last year, but you don't necessarily have to have the strongest arm to have a long NFL career - ask Chad Pennington. What Kellen does have is accuracy, which will also help his stock. I'm not saying he'll be first overall (he won't be), but he'll definitely get a shot in the NFL.

xLmjWVv.png

He also has the arm strength of a middle school girl.

He's actually improved his arm strength over last year, but you don't necessarily have to have the strongest arm to have a long NFL career - ask Chad Pennington. What Kellen does have is accuracy, which will also help his stock. I'm not saying he'll be first overall (he won't be), but he'll definitely get a shot in the NFL.

Kellen Moore's future in professional football is as the back-up QB for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

1zqy8ok.gif

ACC: Virginia Tech (7-0)

Big East: Pittsburgh (4-1)

Big Ten: Wisconsin (6-1) (highest in BCS of tied teams)

Big XII: Oklahoma State (6-1)

Pac-10: Oregon (7-0)

SEC: Auburn (7-0)

#1 Oregon and #2 Auburn are off to the National Championship Game. By rule, #7 Wisconsin goes to Rose, #16 Virginia Tech to Orange, and #9 Oklahoma State to Fiesta.

#3 TCU is guaranteed a spot as an at-large as the highest-ranking non-AQ team. By rule, they must be placed in the Rose Bowl, as Oregon has vacated it. The remaining at-large pool looks like this:

4 Boise State, 5 LSU, 6 Stanford, 8 Ohio State, 10 Michigan State, 11 Alabama, 12 Arkansas, 13 Oklahoma, 14 Missouri

The Sugar has the next choice, to replace Auburn, and they take #5 LSU. This eliminates #11 Alabama and #12 Arkansas from consideration, leaving BSU/STAN/OSU/MSU/OKLA/MIZZ. Sugar also has the next selection, and I think they take #6 Stanford.

Orange has the next choice, and they take #8 Ohio State. This leaves the Fiesta Bowl to take Pittsburgh.

In short:

Rose: #7 Wisconsin v #3 TCU

Fiesta: #9 Oklahoma State v Pittsburgh

Orange: #16 Virginia Tech v #8 Ohio State

Sugar: #5 LSU v #6 Stanford

NCG: #1 Oregon v #2 Auburn

Than we get to sit back and wait for the law suits.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I'm trying so hard to ignore willmorris, but it's laughable to suggest that the Sugar Bowl would take Stanford over Boise State.

Who had the second-highest rated college football game in ESPN history? Not Stanford. Who's been the biggest story in college football over the past five or so years? Not Stanford. Who has the longest active winning streak in the country? Certainly not Stanford.

xLmjWVv.png

I'm trying so hard to ignore willmorris, but it's laughable to suggest that the Sugar Bowl would take Stanford over Boise State.

Who had the second-highest rated college football game in ESPN history? Not Stanford. Who's been the biggest story in college football over the past five or so years? Not Stanford. Who has the longest active winning streak in the country? Certainly not Stanford.

But who's in a BCS conference? Certainly not Boise State.

Who has the QB that the NFL is drooling over? Certainly not Boise State.

Who actually played the number 1 team in the land AND actually were ahead at the time? Certainly not Boise State

Will may have a point on this one. You better get used to the idea that if TCU doesn't get a spot in the NC game but is still ahead of Boise, your boys are headed to the "not a BCS" bowl. If it's any consolation, the Sugar probably won't take Stanford either. You might want to start rehearsing your "Ohio State doesn't deserve a BCS bid" speech.

BB52Big.jpg

Boise State has a Heisman candidate at quarterback, and like it or not, can bring in better ratings than Stanford, especially if they were playing an AQ school and not TCU.

By jove...I think he's got it. :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Boise State has a Heisman candidate at quarterback, and like it or not, can bring in better ratings than Stanford, especially if they were playing an AQ school and not TCU.

Boise State as a ratings draw? Talk about "laughable." Don't get me wrong, I think Boise State should get a shot at a BCS bowl. I just don't think they will. Like it or not, Ohio State can bring better ratings than Boise State and Stanford combined. We have more people without tickets who hang around outside the 'shoe just to watch games in the parking lot than Boise State has fans. Same deal with LSU or Alabama or...you get the idea.

After the title game, it's all about who travels well when it comes to bowl bids. You and the other 35 Boise State fans just aren't enough to get a Sugar or Orange Bowl bid. The BCS thinks Boise is too far away from New Orleans or Miami for Boise State fans to go for a bowl game. I'm not saying it's right. It's just how it is. If you're thinking this is about who's most deserving of the bowl bid then you're as crazy as willmorris.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived