Unpopular Opinions

3 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

Adding my own unpopular opinion that this era of Kings jerseys is among the top 10 worst home/away NHL uniform sets of all time.

Good thing that jersey was only an alternate.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

19 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

Adding my own unpopular opinion that this era of Kings jerseys is among the top 10 worst home/away NHL uniform sets of all time.

No way this is true considering the RBK Edge uniforms exist

• Like 3

On 6/20/2024 at 10:16 PM, DTConcepts said:

this era of Kings jerseys is among the top 10 worst home/away NHL uniform sets of all time.

That's unpopular with me... but only because I think it's among the 5 worst uniform sets of all time.  Saying it's bottom 10 is giving it too much praise.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 6/20/2024 at 10:16 PM, DTConcepts said:

Adding my own unpopular opinion that this era of Kings jerseys is among the top 10 worst home/away NHL uniform sets of all time. The ones with the shield on the front are even worse. I just can’t get over the giant collar, the poor contrast between the purple and black, and the mismatched striping throughout the whole thing.

Add in the waistband wordmark and you’ve got way too much going on — and none of it is particularly good.

You're absolutely right in saying that there's too much going on. It does look like a product of its time. With that being said, have you ever held one in your hands? I own a purple alternate with the shield and it's a gorgeous looking jersey imo. But I guess I can understand how someone might prefer a simpler, more traditional design. Like I said, I'd tweak a few things before bringing it back

49 minutes ago, BBTV said:

That's unpopular with me... but only because I think it's among the 5 worst uniform sets of all time.  Saying it's bottom 10 is giving it too much praise.

5 worse NHL uniform sets

The Buffalug (I actually kinda like these, the sword striping is cool - but they are worse)

Pittsburgh Penguins first Edge set

Nashville Predators first Edge set (this one is bad)

Edmonton Oilers first Edge set

Florida Panthers first Edge set 

Also the Edge set the Kings switched to is worse. Going back to older times I think the Bruins late 90s-early 2000s set is worse, although I kinda like those too.

5 minutes ago, Ark said:

5 worse NHL uniform sets

The Buffalug (I actually kinda like these, the sword striping is cool - but they are worse)

Also the Edge set the Kings switched to is worse. Going back to older times I think the Bruins late 90s-early 2000s set is worse, although I kinda like those too.

I have to mention Gorton's Fisherman and the Flying V as well. Also, if we're going for plain boring like the Oilers first Edge set, the Stars first Edge set and the Ducks Cup-winning jerseys are in that category too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Good thing he was talking about that specific era of Kings jerseys, then

Man these pedantic gotcha! comments are so boring

Then it was phrased poorly.

• Yawn 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1 hour ago, Ark said:

5 worse NHL uniform sets

It's bold of you not to include the Fisherman or Flying V in the top five worst. I respect the uniqueness.

16 hours ago, Ark said:

5 worse NHL uniform sets

I was just saying "bottom 5" because I genuinely hate them with a passion.  A more-accurate term would be "very-bottom tier", since it's impossible IMO to literally give numerical rankings to all but maybe the number 1 and absolute last.

Of those, which are all bad, I'd probably put only the Oilers below that era's Kings.  How they signed off on those is beyond me.  Basically practice jerseys with Bettman stripes.

The Penguins were inoffensive, just templated like most of the Edges.  

Panthers were pretty terrible, considering the Bettman stripes in addition to the stupid wrap-around stripe that's overlapped by a vertical one.

Nashville's Edges were bad, but at least the colors weren't.  LA's were bad for myriad reasons, the color usage being one of them.  They weren't even confined to a template, and still chose a lousy logo, lousy color scheme, ridiculous collar (in the alt), hem wording, etc.

The 'Slug is at least just a bad logo, but not the worst sweater.  I mean... a bad logo, but the Kings checked the box in every category.  Every one of these (except the Oilers) has at least one redeeming quality.  While the Oilers have a fine logo, it's of a time, and doesn't fit in with a uniform that features the Bettman stripes and a modern-minimalist (to say the least!) looks.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I saw those Kings unis up close in the second ever home game of the Columbus Blue Jackets. Got to sit directly behind the CBJ bench with a friend's dad's ticket. It was a 7-1 beatdown at the hands of the Kings.

Those were white jerseys at home years so the Kings wore black jerseys and purple socks. I remember thinking they looked awful in person.

Robitaille05.jpg

Not sure when they stopped with the purple socks and black jerseys (and black socks with the purple alternates) thing, but I'm pretty sure it was before they flipped the shield and crown logos. I think that was a short-lived experiment. 

ddd78a1fee487621b3721a6c2e01f223.jpg

My unpopular opinion might be that the Kings have never had a good brand/logo/uniform and that includes the Gretzky years. At the very least they've never come close to reaching the potential an "LA Kings" brand could be. 

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 6/24/2024 at 12:11 PM, Sport said:

Not sure when they stopped with the purple socks and black jerseys (and black socks with the purple alternates) thing, but I'm pretty sure it was before they flipped the shield and crown logos.

Nope, both changes were made to start the 2002-03 season.

okay, since apparently this is an unpopular opinion, black/purple Kings with the shield were not only the best they've ever looked but a top-10 look in NHL history. this logo goes disgustingly hard.

106.png

• Like 8
  • Hurl 1
  • Dislike 1

53Ocz8U.png

13 hours ago, Ark said:

I don’t know if it’s an unpopular opinion or not, but I don’t like the New Orleans Pelicans  name. It doesn’t sound right to me. They should have gone with a French name.

Pélicans

• LOL 1

On 6/23/2024 at 7:27 PM, AFirestormToPurify said:

Good thing he was talking about that specific era of Kings jerseys, then

Man these pedantic gotcha! comments are so boring

Well he referenced the giant collar, which was only featured on the alternate jersey and not the primary home & away. The "mismatched striping" comment doesn't really make sense either considering they used the same hem & sleeve stripes across all the uniforms. 

They completely butchered it on the switch to Edge, especially when they started adding extra outlines to the numbers on the home jersey, but I never minded the pre-Edge jerseys. I think a big reason why they're disliked is because they represent the era when the franchise was basically irrelevant.