Unpopular Opinions

On 8/16/2024 at 7:35 AM, RobertG said:

I do think that the second iteration of this set ('97-'99) was better than the '94-'96 set.

Removed the larger bookend letters on the wordmark:

Milwaukee Brewers (1994 - 1996) Milwaukee Brewers (1994 - 1996)

Milwaukee Brewers (1997 - 1997)  Milwaukee Brewers (1997 - 1997)

Replaced the busy "MB" hat logo with a simpler "M":

Milwaukee Brewers (1994 - 1996)  Milwaukee Brewers (1994 - 1996)

I think had the Brewers been an expansion team in 1994, this would have been better-received.

One interesting (at least to me) thing about these sets was that the more colorful caps were worn on the road, as opposed to at home,  the opposite of most teams at the time:

Home on left, road on right:

Milwaukee:

Milwaukee Brewers (1994 - 1996)  Milwaukee Brewers (1994 - 1996)

Agreed. Oddly, though, the Brewers have historically worn their more colorful cap on the road. The yellow paneled cap has always been a road cap since its debut in 74.

It's where I sit.

On 8/20/2024 at 1:24 AM, Discrim said:

IIRC the Orioles' orange-billed cap was an alternate at the time, they didn't start wearing it as their home cap until they returned to orange lettering on their whites, by which time the Brewers had switched to the Miller set.  Another good example was the Cardinals wearing red caps at home, navy away, and the 99 Reds (red w/black bill at home, black w/red bill away).  Not sure how you'd classify the 93-98 Reds (white/red bill at home, solid red away) or Marlins (solid teal home, teal with black bill away), or the 97-99 Pirates, for that matter (black home, gray away)...then the Cubs and Tigers were also in the same camp as the Brewers in wearing more colorful caps on the road (red bill for the Cubs, orange D and bill, then orange bill and caged tiger, and later still the current solid navy with orange D for the Tigers), and apparently the Blue Jays briefly wore their red-billed alt cap on the road, coinciding with the last two seasons of the Germanic Brewers.  The D-backs are a weird fit here, as while their 1999 caps are obvious (brighter option at home), 98 is in the tough call category, as like it'd be a year later, the home cap was purple, but the road black cap had a turquoise bill.  

All true.  My memory isn't as good as it used to be. I'm not sure where I came up with "most teams wear more muted hats on the road" when that's not the case historically.

Looking at some of your examples, that's obviously not true, and most of them look good. The Cubs' red-billed hat looks much better with their road uniform that it would their home, the same with the Tigers' road hats.

I started watching baseball in 1995 when I was 7, growing up in Philadelphia, and without cable, the only time you got to see American League teams was the odd national broadcast (All-Star game, playoffs, etc.).

I remember seeing the Indians with their red accessories (socks, undershirts, cleats) at home, and blue on the road, the Angels with their more red-heavy home and blue-heavy roads, and somehow I guess I concluded that all teams wore their colors more at home, and went more muted on the road. Ken Griffey Jr was everywhere, and seeing the Mariners' navy/teal home and all-navy road hats as well.

It's funny, because I remember watching Cal Ripken set the consecutive game record at a friend's house. That's where I first saw the Angels' uniforms, which I really liked, but looking at pictures from that game, the Orioles are wearing their all-black hats at home, the opposite of what I remember. 

I think the all-teal hat was a bit much for the Marlins, especially with the teal undershirts and socks. I think they could have gone teal/black bill for home and road. I do wish they hadn't chipped away at the teal over the years, though (pinstripes, socks, undershirts, hats, jersey scripts all went to black and they had a lot less character by the time they changed to "Miami", I think).

Edited by RobertG
edited for clarity
  • Like 3

Funny thing is the Brewers wearing more colorful caps on the road is actually historically on brand for them, interspersed with periods where they were a one cap ball club.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

9 minutes ago, Discrim said:

Funny thing is the Brewers wearing more colorful caps on the road is actually historically on brand for them, interspersed with periods where they were a one cap ball club.

Great minds think alike.

It's where I sit.

For some reason I didn't pick up on this as a kid but the Brewers batting helmet didn't match either hat. Hats were all blue and blue/yellow. Helmet was blue with a white panel on front. The Twins did that for a year or two in the late 1970s but that was pretty rare...back when teams wore one to two caps, the helmets were meant to be a hard version of the hat back then.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 2/18/2024 at 2:25 PM, DTConcepts said:

This actually ended up being a really good looking uni matchup

In terms of colors? Yeah, the navy did help the Isles visually distance themselves from the Rangers.

It doesn't change the fact that the uniform had no ounce of imagination or intrigue expected from Stadium Series looks. It was flat-out boring. Even a hint of royal blue, teal, sky blue, silver, or white would have improved the look immensely.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

On 8/4/2024 at 8:57 PM, Aardvark said:

I really like this uniform. 

2d8a125f61fe56ab214a11c8880c9ab0a39fdde1

607309.jpg

Especially as a set with the more traditional white uniform.

This was the first jersey I ever owned (the first version in the bottom pic with the more flesh-toned face). It was a pretty solid third jersey by turn of the century standards, but the problem came when they decided to promote it to the main home look. The home & road being completely mismatched wasn't good, and it eventually led to us getting the ugly templated Edge look (which got even worse when they switched to Adidas).

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

This was the first jersey I ever owned (the first version in the bottom pic with the more flesh-toned face). It was a pretty solid third jersey by turn of the century standards, but the problem came when they decided to promote it to the main home look. The home & road being completely mismatched wasn't good, and it eventually led to us getting the ugly templated Edge look (which got even worse when they switched to Adidas).

One of my unpopular opinions is I don't mind mismatched home and road uniforms at all, in fact I quite like them. That Senators example is extremely different, but there are also more subtle examples like the NY Giants who currently wear almost no red at home but a lot of red on the road.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

One of my unpopular opinions is I don't mind mismatched home and road uniforms at all, in fact I quite like them. That Senators example is extremely different, but there are also more subtle examples like the NY Giants who currently wear almost no red at home but a lot of red on the road.

Yeah I don't think uniform sets need to match perfectly (the Blackhawks & Canadiens are NHL examples that are fine). There does need to be some sort of consistent elements though. The pre-Edge period for the Sens had 2 jerseys with different primary logos, colour balances, striping patterns, and fonts.

Inspired by a recent comment in the NHL thread that got 15 likes, I'm sorry but this this logo sucks. It's just a soulless, computerized, Disney-XDified, social-media-thumbnail-ified, corporate version of the original logo. I'm glad it was never used

spacer.png

"Modernized" logos with ridiculously thick keylines always look soulless and generic to me. Like some clipart create-a-team logo created for a videogame. Just my unpopular opinion, of course

• Like 2
  • Meh 1
  • Dislike 3

I think the original Senators' logo looks way better. It's not as "clean" or consistent, but it has a certain charm to it. Charm that this cleaned up, soulless version has none of.

The new one looks like something you'd see on a coin or government letterhead, not intended to invoke any kind of loyalty or passion, just a cold emblem meant to identify something.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

On 8/19/2024 at 11:10 PM, Cujo said:

I'm ready for the Niners to bring these back as a throwback alt

81225353.jpg.jpg

That's an awful opinion.  They should NOT be brought back as a throwback...

...they should be brought back as the primary.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Meh 1
  • Huh? 1
  • Dislike 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 minutes ago, BBTV said:

That's an awful opinion.  They should NOT be brought back as a throwback...

...they should be brought back as the primary.

Would be one of the biggest downgrades of all time.

• Like 6
  • Dislike 2

On 8/20/2024 at 11:15 AM, Silver_Star said:

I went to the motherpage and I saw this and now I miss it a lot!!! I wish it return! Better than the wordmark they have now.

3402_los_angeles__chargers-wordmark-2017

You know how you could make it even better? Change Los Angeles to San Diego.

:censored: you, Spanos.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

8 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

You know how you could make it even better? Change Los Angeles to San Diego.

:censored: you, Spanos.

So, ummm, where are you going to build the stadium at in San Diego? You know they tore down Jack Murphy for a smaller college venue stadium, right?

• Yawn 2