Unpopular Opinions

Those manufacturers don't care about whether or not a niche part of the fandom (people like us) care about the aesthetics of the designs. They know that the large majority of the fans don't give a :censored: and will gobble it up.

We're not the target audience.

• Like 3

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

On 9/10/2024 at 7:25 PM, ruttep said:

Competition between manufacturers could force some more creativity and uniqueness with new designs (though with how some ultra-modern designs have come out in recent years, I'm not sure whether that would actually produce good designs)

That's what the NFL uniforms need. Heck, Wilson, Nike, Reebok, Adidas, Puma, etc were great when they were handling four teams or six teams.  I rather have different uniform and pants manufacturers than to have the same brand splashed on all teams. Goodell does not understand that and neither do the newer owners.

I like to see Under Armor do the Patriots uniforms or whoever would fit Under Armor as the Cowboys would probably be with Nike since they went directly to them in 1996. Then Champion can make a return again. Companies that still survived the 1990's sports clothing and apparel phase when Starter tried to dominate in the early to mid 1990's but Nike swept them away by making a huge comeback after those Jordan sells.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2024 at 9:23 PM, Silver_Star said:

That's what the NFL uniforms need. Heck, Wilson, Nike, Reebok, Adidas, Puma, etc were great when they were handling four teams or six teams.  I rather have different uniform and pants manufacturers than to have the same brand splashed on all teams. Goodell does not understand that and neither do the newer owners.

I like to see Under Armor do the Patriots uniforms or whoever would fit Under Armor as the Cowboys would probably be with Nike since they went directly to them in 1996. Then Champion can make a return again. Companies that still survived the 1990's sports clothing and apparel phase when Starter tried to dominate in the early to mid 1990's but Nike swept them away by making a huge comeback after those Jordan sells.

You’re failing to see the economics of it though. The nfl makes far more money with one uniform manufacturer and makes it infinitely more easy to sell retail product thus more money than they ever could with multiple manufacturers.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Since it's the NFL season, imma give out a few football ones. 

The Carolina Panthers are the best looking team in their division

The Vikings should add yellow pants to their current set

The Texans current set wouldn't look as bad if they made red their primary color

The Jets new uniforms are the best they've ever looked

• Like 5

Who else thinks the NFL should have more Variety when it Comes to Uniform Combinations, Like College football Teams are making new Alternate Helmets and Jerseys Weekly for there Programs, and since the 1 Helmet rule doesn't Exist anymore I think all 32 teams should be Utilizing that a lot more with More Helmet and Alternate jersey Options

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Hurl 1
  • Meh 1
  • Dislike 4

On 9/13/2024 at 5:11 PM, Rj0498 said:

Since it's the NFL season, imma give out a few football ones. 

The Carolina Panthers are the best looking team in their division

The Vikings should add yellow pants to their current set

The Texans current set wouldn't look as bad if they made red their primary color

The Jets new uniforms are the best they've ever looked

I have thought about this from time to time. I tend to want the Vikings to use more yellow than they do (particularly outlining the numbers like in the late 1990s. I've wondered whether that's never come about because the Packers wear yellow pants.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

5 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I have thought about this from time to time. I tend to want the Vikings to use more yellow than they do (particularly outlining the numbers like in the late 1990s. I've wondered whether that's never come about because the Packers wear yellow pants.

I think it's part of it, but the bigger part is that they're just not needed. Yellow is a trim color. It would be like the Tennessee Titans adding red pants to their set.

It's where I sit.

Speaking of the Saints logo, I suspect my opinion is unpopular: I much prefer the current extra-outlined compact logo to the original taller logo, particularly on the helmets.

910.gif is way better than 911.gif

• Like 5

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Speaking of the Saints logo, I suspect my opinion is unpopular: I much prefer the current extra-outlined compact logo to the original taller logo, particularly on the helmets.

910.gif is way better than 911.gif

I think they're both good.  I don't consider the black as the "extra outline", I think the gold is the extra.  The black could directly contact the white and it'd be fine.  The main problem is that the helmet should be "brassier", for lack of a better term.

2015-nola-v7.png?1600215714

Something about the older ones that I just noticed is that the white isn't consistent.  It looks like it gets narrower under the top "leaf" and above the bottom one.  Interesting effect... but I don't quite get what they're going for.

1973-nola.png?1600216018

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I always thought the size of the original fleur-de-lis also contributed to it being the superior look. The extra strokes are fussy, for sure. But I agree with @BBTV that it could be outlined white and black and still look good. But the current fleur-de-lis appears smaller on the helmet, and that's not helped by the number of strokes it has. And none of that gets to the other observation that the Saints need a golder gold.

With regards to size of the decal/logo, I bet it would be tougher, now, to try and use one of proportional size to the helmets that the original fleur-de-lis had because of all the vents, holes, cuts, and facesmask and snap placements that modern helmets use. Below is what they used recently, and it's not bad. But, at least to my eyes, the decal doesn't appear to be as big as what the original fleur-de-lis was in proportion to helmets of the day. (And the white stroke is certainly not as weighty.)

spacer.png

Also, those jerseys have the right shade of gold. Match that as closely as you can on the other elements, and I'd even be happy with their current uniform design.

(I mocked up what that would look like on a game from a few years ago:)

spacer.png

• Like 5

8 hours ago, raz said:

I get the feeling that, like with the 1990s, we'll look back on the 2020s uniform designs across all sports and think, "What the hell were they thinking?" 

the difference is that when talking about 1990s uniforms, we ask "what the hell were they thinking?" through stifled laughter. with 2020s uniforms, we'll be asking "what the hell were they thinking?" while massaging our temples in hopes of warding off the migraine brought on by being reminded of the procedurally-generated slop teams were trotting out onto the field in.

they shot for the moon in the '90s, and if they didn't make it, it'd at least be a spectacle when they crashed back down to earth. in These Times, the powers that be will maybe let you shoot for the troposphere every once in a while if you're lucky.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

53Ocz8U.png

On 9/13/2024 at 11:44 AM, dont care said:

You’re failing to see the economics of it though. The nfl makes far more money with one uniform manufacturer and makes it infinitely more easy to sell retail product thus more money than they ever could with multiple manufacturers.

Out of here with that. It's not a one group manufacturer that makes the jerseys great, if they had different ones, those teams would be free to design how they like their uniforms to be. But you were the same person complaining about how Nike did almost half of the teams back then when Tampa Bay chose to look goofy in 2015, right?

I rather see a multiple group of manufacturers which would make the teams money instead of Roger Goddell.

• Huh? 1

1 hour ago, Silver_Star said:

Out of here with that. It's not a one group manufacturer that makes the jerseys great, if they had different ones, those teams would be free to design how they like their uniforms to be. But you were the same person complaining about how Nike did almost half of the teams back then when Tampa Bay chose to look goofy in 2015, right?

I rather see a multiple group of manufacturers which would make the teams money instead of Roger Goddell.

Tell us the difference between Puma jersey designs in 1998 and Nike jersey designs in 1998 and how they were so distinctive by brand. 

Tell us why one company was better than the other. 

You realize the Nike deal doesn't go straight into Roger Goodell's pocket right. The Nike deal creates revenue for all 32 teams. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, Silver_Star said:

What are you going off about? That has nothing to do with the economics of the league. The league would never go away from a single manufacturer deal. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dont care said:

What are you going off about? That has nothing to do with the economics of the league. The league would never go away from a single manufacturer deal. 

Well then, the league needs to start now. They done different manufacturers in the past, what is stopping them now. I mean this is a smarter idea and less convoluted for one manufacturing brand to continue making all 32 team uniforms.

That is slave driving.

20 hours ago, raz said:

I get the feeling that, like with the 1990s, we'll look back on the 2020s uniform designs across all sports and think, "What the hell were they thinking?" 

As it stands now, most 2020s uniform designs won't be remembered at all. Most of them have either been recycled throwbacks from decades ago, boringly minimalist, or designed to be replaced after a year. Of course, a lot of this depends on how the second half of the decade goes.

If anything, it'll be 2010s designs getting that treatment. Think of all the silly trends like college football teams wearing giant letters on the front of their jerseys, or the Adidas tire-tread pattern, or the sleeved NBA jerseys.

• Like 2

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

6 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

The only things that would have changed with multiple manufacturers are less standardized apparel (sideline gear and such) and no league-wide programs like Color Rush.

On an individual level, the teams and league would still have the ultimate say in how they looked. Teams like the Commanders or Falcons that decided to look like garbage under Nike would have done the exact same thing if they were with Wilson, Puma, Starter, etc. instead.

• Like 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12