My Huge 1,000th Post Surprise

Well, I've been around since last summer, and somehow managed to rack up 999 posts in the meantime. The milestone post is next, but I wanted to take a minute to thank everyone for making these boards a kickass place to visit.

I always had an interest in logos and sports uniforms, so I was initially excited to have found a place where so many people share that same interest, and at the same time could talk about current events and other topics.

I keep coming back, not because of that common interest, but because the members here conduct themselves in a civilized and intellegent manner. Even when things get out of control, it's still at a maturity level beyond other boards.

I've learned quiet a bit, too. As a kid, I used to hand-draw logos and hockey uniform concepts. You guys inspired me to dust off my copy of Illustrator, and get back to turning out designs. It's a hobby to me, not a career path, but I still take pride in the way that I've been developing.

OK, enough of that huggy-kissy crap... onto the big surprise...

It's a contest... a HUGE contest.

It's so HUGE that I had to spend a few weeks planning it;

it's so HUGE that I had to run it by CC, who has given it his blessing;

it's so HUGE that it will be my only contest (this year, anyway);

it's so HUGE that it comes with a one-week warning shot;

it's so HUGE that one of you may die trying (OK, that's a bit of a stretch).

Anyway, without further ado, I present to you .............

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

banner1.gif

Background

The LOGOLYMPIAD will consist of a series of design 'events', with award icons for each event, as well as for overall winners.

Each event will consist of a different set of criteria, chosen by me.

There will be events that cover both sports and non-sports categories.

I initially considered asking hosts of existing contests/challenges to partner for events that are similar to their own, but I wanted them to be eligible to enter every event, so I will run this without outside help.

In order to avoid an overload of contest threads, I'm going to wait a week (until April 27th) before posting the first event. This should allow current contests time to wrap up, and serve as fair notice to anyone who was considering running something soon.

Events

There will be 13 events:

- Crossover

- Fantasy Team

- Color Set

- Anniversary/ Commemorative Patch

- Sporting Event Logo

- Alt. Logo

- Alt. Uniform

- Time Warp

- Wordmark

- Company Logo

- Consumer Product

- Album Cover

- Non-sports Event Logo

These are the event categories only. Specific criteria will be posted at the start of each event. Categories are not necessarily listed in the order in which they will occur.

Criteria and deadlines will vary from event to event.

Some events may run simultaneously, but there will be no more than 2 events running at any given time.

Each event will run for a minimum of 4 days and a maximum of 10.

Rules

Any registered board member may enter.

Participants are limited to one entry per event. You may modify your posted image any time prior to the deadline.

Members may enter as many events as they like.

I will serve as referee, and will answer any questions about rules and event criteria. I will have the final decision in any disputes, but will not have a vote in the judging of entries.

Participants are responsible for ensuring that their images and links are in working order.

Designs that do not meet the posted criteria for a given event will be disqualified.

Judging/Awards

Voting threads will be open for 3 days.

Judging is open to all board members, but participants may not vote for their own entries.

Members may vote once per event.

Voting will be via the points method. Judges will be asked to post their choices for a gold, silver and bronze winner. Ties will be allowed, but you may not vote for more than 4 total entries.

Gold votes are worth 3 points, Silver worth 2, Bronze worth 1.

Medal icons will be awarded at the conclusion of voting threads to the top points-earners, based on the above scoring system.

Gold, Silver and Bronze icons will be awarded in events with 4 or more entries. In events with 3 or fewer entries, only a Gold will be awarded.

In the event of a tie, multiple medals will be awarded, at the expense of lesser-value medals. If there are two gold winners, no silver will be awarded; if there are two silvers, there will be no bronze, etc.

Champion trophy icons will be presented to the top overall winners at the end of the LOGOLYMPIAD. Rankings will be determined by total points from weighted medal values - 3 points for each gold, 2 for each silver, 1 for each bronze.

Winners will be allowed to download the posted medal icons for use in their signatures and on their own websites. Use of an award icon by a non-winner will result in disqualification from the entire competition, including events that have already been completed.

A complete list of medal winners, event criteria, overall standings and a copy of these rules will be posted at www.geocities.com/jfmecca/logolympiad.html

Excellent, WiB

I look forward to coming in 4th in several events!

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Can the Anniversary/Commeatrive patch be from any team in any year. I have a good idea for a team that celebrated there 30th anniversary 2 years ago, and just wanted to know if I could do it here???

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

One question: What are the Logolympiad's Drug Testing policies? 

Pretty lenient.. but to keep things fair, whatever you're on, you have to share with the other contestants. The same rule applies for chewing gum and cupcakes.

Can the Anniversary/Commeatrive patch be from any team in any year. I have a good idea for a team that celebrated there 30th anniversary 2 years ago, and just wanted to know if I could do it here???

Unfortunately, I won't answer any specific event criteria questions until after they're posted at the start of every event. I will say that some events will have fairly specific sets of criteria, and others will be rather loose.

One question: What are the Logolympiad's Drug Testing policies? :hockeysmiley:

One drug testing rule.. if your head grows 2 hat sizes after age 25, you are ON DRUGS!

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Does each entrant get a three-letter abbreviation like all the nations in the real Olympics do?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

Actually, I was considering that. We can either give each person a 3-letter abbrevaition based on thier username, or list their state/province abbreviations (which I personally prefer).

Also, if participants want to make an animated flag with your logo on it, I'll fly them in the margin of my LOGOLYMPIAD pages. For uniformity, please make the final image 65x65 pixels. Or, better yet, post your flags as a single 64x40 image, and I'll take care of the animation.

Does each entrant get a three-letter abbreviation like all the nations in the real Olympics do?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

Actually, I was considering that. We can either give each person a 3-letter abbrevaition based on thier username, or list their state/province abbreviations (which I personally prefer).

Also, if participants want to make an animated flag with your logo on it, I'll fly them in the margin of my LOGOLYMPIAD pages. For uniformity, please make the final image 65x65 pixels. Or, better yet, post your flags as a single 64x40 image, and I'll take care of the animation.

Hmmmmmmm, maybe there is some continued utility for Canmerica.

Archived