Next Move Or Expansion

ltjets21

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a fan of the "the Bills aren't Toronto's team, but give us our own team and we'll support it" argument. Not saying Toronto wouldn't, but you've got one game a year to show up for. Why not sell it out and give the NFL no choice but to put a team there?

To me, these "temporary" teams are tryouts, not excuses. Show them they'd have it better in their new home, if not for that team, but maybe another. Oklahoma City fans played it perfectly with the Hornets, regardless of how they eventually got a team.

To be fair, the Bills and Rogers charged astronomical prices for the Toronto Bills games...

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

To be fair, the Bills and Rogers charged astronomical prices for the Toronto Bills games...

Astronomical compared to what? Just curious. NFL games are expensive in the States, and I would imagine they would be in Toronto as well. If CFL games are $40 and NFL are $70, or whatever, that seems about right to me.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Astronomical compared to what? Just curious. NFL games are expensive in the States, and I would imagine they would be in Toronto as well. If CFL games are $40 and NFL are $70, or whatever, that seems about right to me.

Remember even in the NHL, a Canadian team has their revenues (ticket prices) may come in Canadian funds, but the main expense (player salaries) is out in US dollars. The NFL is based in US $.

The Molson family now denies it, but Forbes talks about how they overpaid to get the team back.

The cheapest tickets for the Seahawks are $47 USD. That is not comparable to what Rogers was riping off the fans for especially with the present exchange rate.

The cheapest tickets at the Skydome where about $70-80. I went to a real Bills game in Buffalo two seasons ago and we paid $98 USD for second tier tickets 8 rows from

the edge. The experience was great at Wilson Stadium. Toronto does not deserve a team because the fans will not support it in the long run. The fans in Buffalo are

loyal. There is no tailgating here and they will not change under the new mayor Tommy boy.

Not to defend any price-gouging, but NFL season tickets will be a lot more than $70, so the league is likely still justified in using it as an indicator.

Toronto probably went from being a slam dunk in owners' minds to questionable at best. Why give them a reasonable doubt? If so many football fans scoffed at the overpriced single ticket, what are they going to do when they see the season-ticket prices?

I'd say that the NHL will expand to 36 and bring back the Winnipeg Jets, Hartford Whalers, Quebec Nordiques, Kansas City Scouts, Cleveland Barons, and the Hamilton Tigers

Signature.png

TrophyCase-1.png

I'd say that the NHL will expand to 36 and bring back the Winnipeg Jets, Hartford Whalers, Quebec Nordiques, Kansas City Scouts, Cleveland Barons, and the Hamilton Tigers

36? You're insane. The NHL can barely handle 30 teams.

And you'd be wrong.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

In what universe does this seem like a good idea?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well lets hold on a second. The idea is so bad and so obviously a terrible idea that the NHL is bound to do it, now that it's been released into the collective consciousness.

I mean "Only in the G-dd@mn NHL" right?

Let me see... ah, are you an addict to the NHL 11 for PS3?

I understand, I understand... :hockeysmiley:

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Actually, no, I only have NHL 10

Signature.png

TrophyCase-1.png

Well lets hold on a second. The idea is so bad and so obviously a terrible idea that the NHL is bound to do it, now that it's been released into the collective consciousness.

No, you're wrong, Ice. Gary Bettman would prefer moving the Montreal Canadiens to Cancun to "expand the NHL's footprint, in a more global sports market." Only to see them file for bankruptcy a few years later, and shoot down Basille again.

Actually, no, I only have NHL 10

LOL!!!

Then let's expand NHL 10 to 11. :P

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

CBS has an update on the Hornets situation:

http://nba-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/27164610?ttag=gen10_on_all_fb_na_txt_0001

Guess it isn't over yet.

From the story, which said local businesses helped push the numbers past 15K for games against the Grizzlies and Raptors:

"The team needs to average 14,891 fans against San Antonio on Saturday and Oklahoma City on Monday, which should happen."

It says the deadline is Jan. 31.

The Hornets followed up a crowd of 18,023 against the Spurs with 17,233 against the Thunder. According the Associated Press, "the Hornets needed a crowd of 11,758 to void a provision in the lease that would have allowed the team to leave after this season."

So I guess that's that. Good for New Orleans. We'll see if it's just delaying the inevitable, but it's good the fans didn't give them the easy road out.

No, you're wrong, Ice. Gary Bettman would prefer moving the Montreal Canadiens to Cancun to "expand the NHL's footprint, in a more global sports market." Only to see them file for bankruptcy a few years later, and shoot down Basille again.

:D

Archived