Next Move Or Expansion

ltjets21

Those fans in the stands during the Playoffs were coyotes fans, rams80.

God, it's in the percieved owners hands, not the Phoneix fans. I can tell you, we will start showing up once there's a resolution!

No they weren't. Anyone who watched that series heard how many cheers the Wings got when they scored.

You're a bad liar! Those were Coyotes fans!

Go to about 1:00 on the video. I rest my case.

But...but...they were wearing the free T-shirts that they drape on the seats for these bloody color-out games. They have to be Phoenix fans.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But doesn't that stuff happen in every sport, especially playoff games?

Go to any Lakers road game, and there will be plenty of people rooting for the Lakers.

Go to any Yankees road game, and there will be plenty of people rooting for the Yankees.

I always thought of the Red Wings as sort of "the" bandwagon NHL team (certainly moreso than a team like the Coyotes). The fact that there were so many people cheering after a RedWings goal says more about the abundance of RedWings fans out there than the lack of Coyotes fans. The fact that there were people cheering after a RedWings goal isn't very shocking, and doesn't say anything about whether the Coyotes have a strong fanbase. (Bankruptcy might, though).

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

But doesn't that stuff happen in every sport, especially playoff games?

Go to any Lakers road game, and there will be plenty of people rooting for the Lakers.

Go to any Yankees road game, and there will be plenty of people rooting for the Yankees.

I always thought of the Red Wings as sort of "the" bandwagon NHL team (certainly moreso than a team like the Coyotes). The fact that there were so many people cheering after a RedWings goal says more about the abundance of RedWings fans out there than the lack of Coyotes fans. The fact that there were people cheering after a RedWings goal isn't very shocking, and doesn't say anything about whether the Coyotes have a strong fanbase. (Bankruptcy might, though).

Some fans from the visiting team is normal. A majority is a sign of trouble.

The attendance averages both last year and this year are clear indications of the lack of a strong Coyotes fanbase in Phoenix.

Wow. The last few pages were some of the most entertaining and most mind-boggling reading I've come across here in a long time. I've tried thinking of a response to BigMac12 to make him understand, but EVERYBODY here as repeatedly said the same damn thing in the most simpliest of terms and it still hasn't gotten through to him, so I'm taking it down to the very basics:

STEP 1

Phoenix Fans: Buy ticket for next game ONLY - Go see game - If you like, buy ticket for next game ONLY - repeat process for as long as desired

STEP 2

Potential Owners: See fans showing up to games - Buy team and keep in Phoenix (Glendale) if desired - Offer season tickets/PSLs for fans who want to go to EVERY game

And that is a step-by-step basis on how to keep your team in your town.

Stop looking to next season to decide if you should go to ONE SINGLE GAME this week. Go on a game-to-game basis. If you enjoy yourself at said game, then go to another. The team is still there right now, so going to one game or multiple games this season are possible and guaranteed to be there. Not knowing if you'll have an owner NEXT SEASON should really have no effect on going to a game THIS SEASON.

I read somewhere that the league tailored the Coyotes' schedule to minimize games played on work/school nights. I don't think I'm willing to do the legwork and compare their schedule to other teams', but anecdotally it seems like they get a lot of Saturday night home games.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I read somewhere that the league tailored the Coyotes' schedule to minimize games played on work/school nights. I don't think I'm willing to do the legwork and compare their schedule to other teams', but anecdotally it seems like they get a lot of Saturday night home games.

Looking at the magnet schedule on my fridge, that is entirely plausible. The most popular weekday is Wednesday, but the large majority is Friday and Saturday.

But on the same token, the Ducks have always had more Friday night and Sunday 5 pm games than the rest of their games (although there is a semi-large amount of Wednesday night games as well).

If someone wants to take their time and look at the whole league, I'm sure most teams are going to be skewed one way or the other. And with teams in the same market, they usually operate on different nights (i.e. in SoCal, the Kings get Tues/Thurs/Sat, and the Ducks get Wed/Fri/Sun. Every now and then one or the other will have Monday games.)

Also to continue with the Coyotes attendance watch, they actually drew 12,700 for the game against the Ducks on Saturday. And it was a large majority of Coyote fans, and they were actually quite into it. I was impressed. The only weird thing was it was Star Wars: Clone Wars night. I wasn't there, so I'm not sure what went into it (There wasn't anything I saw on their site prior to that day with any notice of it or what it was, they had a welcome splash page that was advertising for it, but it didn't say anything about deals or what the hell was going on. The first I heard of it was Saturday afternoon.) It might have helped that ASU and UA played on Friday, rather than Saturday, it was Thanksgiving weekend, so families were in town, and the Suns were off

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Is this a big deal?

http://arenadigest.com/201011293135/hockey/nhl-hockey/coyotes-sale-yet-another-missed-deadline

$25 mil a year from Glendale? If I were a taxpayer in that city, I'd be out for blood from any councelperson or whatever who spports a deal like that...

They'll miss the deadline then extend the deadline. Again. Oh, and then fork over municipal funds to keep the team in town, letting vital municipal services go underfunded.

The Coyotes will move to Quebec next and become the Nordiques.

No.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I hadn't realized the "Here we go again" Coyotes thread had moved here. Too bad, but I see the delusions that had left that thread returned here.

I'll say this: Most fanbases boycott games once an owner decides to move a team and that team becomes a lame duck. In the Coyotes situation, they've been given every opportunity to save their team by showing up - and they aren't because they don't know who the owner is? Hopefully our resident Coyotes expert does not speak for all their fans or they really are doomed. Go to the games and tell all your friends to go also, or you aren't really a fan.

And the next team to move? Looks like the Hornets. I think the labor situation will delay and Jaguars plans.

I hadn't realized the "Here we go again" Coyotes thread had moved here. Too bad, but I see the delusions that had left that thread returned here.

I'll say this: Most fanbases boycott games once an owner decides to move a team and that team becomes a lame duck. In the Coyotes situation, they've been given every opportunity to save their team by showing up - and they aren't because they don't know who the owner is? Hopefully our resident Coyotes expert does not speak for all their fans or they really are doomed. Go to the games and tell all your friends to go also, or you aren't really a fan.

And the next team to move? Looks like the Hornets. I think the labor situation will delay and Jaguars plans.

I don't think the Hornets are in the same situation as the Expos when MLB took them over with every intention of moving them. I think they'll look at every opurtunity to keep in NOLA. There's no arena issue, so that's not a problem. It's just getting more people to show up. Because of the situation, yes, relocate is very much a possibility, but I believe the NBA will do whatever it can to keep then down in the bayou.

Honestly, I hope they do, but if New Orleans gets to keep the Saints for good as it looks like they will now - even if it becomes a Green Bay-style market - I think fans can live with that. The NBA likes being the only game in town or as close to it as possible, so I'm not sure they are in a rush to get back to Seattle or Kansas City with all of their pro teams. Vegas is the type of emerging market they'd likely have liked to test, but the economy might have derailed that option (although I've always pegged the Kings for Vegas).

I haven't read all 13 pages of posts yet, but I saw a couple posts mentioning the Bills going to Toronto or elsewhere...

It won't happen...at least not anytime in the near future. If Ralph Wilson passes on, or actually sells the team before that, the number one potential buyer is Bills HOF QB Jim Kelly and a group of investors. Jim has been trying to get Ralph to sell him the team for the last 5-6 years now. If (when) Kelly gets the team, the Bills are guaranteed to stay put for the foreseeable future.

The next team to move? My vote goes to either Phoenix Coyotes or Atlanta Thrashers. Now that the Canadian dollar is competitive with the US dollar, expect to see both Winnipeg and Quebec get an NHL team within the next 5 years...I'd bet a paycheck on it.

• 2 weeks later...

For everyone's consideration, may I present the following image.

Inexcusable.png

So...I hear Los Angeles is nice, correct?

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived