Next Move Or Expansion

ltjets21

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what it's worth, I think that Rider Pride can carry over to an NHL team in the province of Saskatchewan.

In all fairness, the CFL (and I love the CFL, don't get me wrong here) is a different story. A) it doesn't have to worry about the american dollar. B) the players aren't getting paid as much and C) it's much more affordable to attend CFL games.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

not the whole province.

gotta think about the everyday ticket payer.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

For what it's worth, I think that Rider Pride can carry over to an NHL team in the province of Saskatchewan.

In all fairness, the CFL (and I love the CFL, don't get me wrong here) is a different story. A) it doesn't have to worry about the american dollar. B) the players aren't getting paid as much and C) it's much more affordable to attend CFL games.

D) There's a huge difference between selling tickets to 10 games over the course of a 20 week season (plus playoffs) and selling tickets to 40+ games over the length of an NHL season.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Anyways, with that said, I think the next team to move in any sport will be the Atlanta Thrashers. I really don't see the NHL staying in Atlanta for the long run, and I definately see them moving before any other team.

Moving Atlanta would be Bettman tacitly admitting that the coveted southern expansion is failing. The only way the NHL starts to abandon the south is with the replacement of Bettman. Bettman has a formula that so far is holding, just keep finding suckers to dump their money into a failing franchise, then when they wise up, find another sucker.

That very formula of finding new suckers in the short term really belies the so-called long-term planning of the Great Southern Expansion. Any stability these teams have is top-down rather than bottom-up. Repeatedly bleating "this is nawt uh pawtable awganization" doesn't make it a successful one.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

NHL.

Thrashers - Hamilton

Coyotes - Winnipeg

Panthers - Kansas City

Expansion - Portland

Expansion - Quebec City

CFL.

Expansion - Ottawa ont.

Expansion - Halifax ns.

Expansion - Moncton nb.

Expansion - Quebec City que.

Expansion - Victoria bc.

Expansion - Portland org

Expansion - Rochester \ Syracuse ny.

Expansion - Spokane wa.

Expansion - Milwuakee win.

Expansion - Alaska alk.

Expansion - Bosie idh.

NBA.

Clippers - Las Vegas

Expansion - Seattle

NFL.

Jaguars - Los Angeles

Expansion - San Antonio

MLB.

Expansion \ Move - Vancouver

Expansion \ Move - Las Vegas

Expansion \ Move - North Carolina

Expansion \ Move - Tennesse

MLS

Expansion - Hamilton

Expansion - Ottawa

Expansion - Phoenix

Expansion - Atlanta

Expansion - St. Louis

Expansion - Florida

CFL.

Expansion - Ottawa ont.

Expansion - Halifax ns.

Expansion - Moncton nb.

Expansion - Quebec City que.

Expansion - Victoria bc.

Expansion - Portland org

Expansion - Rochester \ Syracuse ny.

Expansion - Spokane wa.

Expansion - Milwuakee win.

Expansion - Alaska alk.

Expansion - Bosie idh.

simpsons_nelson_haha2uwr.jpg

6fQjS3M.png

Just a little update on the Hornets' situation...

Larry Ellison, who lost out in buying the Golden State Warriors, has mentioned buying the New Orleans Hornets and moving them to San Jose. I'm surprised that nobody else noticed this yet.

The Hornets' average attendance (at the time of this posting) is at 14,116, while, according to this article at Bleacher Report, the benchmark seems to have been lowered to 14,213 from 14,735. According to the article, they have until January 17 to reach over 14,213. The home games up to (and including) that date are:

Orlando, Jan. 12 and

Toronto, Jan. 17.

If my math is right, for these next 2 games, the Hornets would need to average 14,262 to hit that lower mark. If it's the older mark, then they need to average 15,045 to hit that mark.

Larry Ellison, who lost out in buying the Golden State Warriors, has mentioned buying the New Orleans Hornets and moving them to San Jose. I'm surprised that nobody else noticed this yet.

The Hornets' average attendance (at the time of this posting) is at 14,116, while, according to this article at Bleacher Report, the benchmark seems to have been lowered to 14,213 from 14,735. According to the article, they have until January 17 to reach over 14,213. The home games up to (and including) that date are:

Orlando, Jan. 12 and

Toronto, Jan. 17.

If my math is right, for these next 2 games, the Hornets would need to average 14,262 to hit that lower mark. If it's the older mark, then they need to average 15,045 to hit that mark.

The Larry Ellison thing was discussed today in one of the NBA threads, although not in this much detail.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Wouldnt Golden State, and potentially Sacramento have to approve of this? I cannot imagine 3 teams in the San Fran metro area.

Well, Sacramento's a little too far inland to really be the SF Bay Area, but either way you slice it, three teams in northern California probably is a little much when you consider the two that they have aren't really running up waiting lists for tickets.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

What does the American dollar have to about this? It's not the mid-90s anymore.

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

Orlando, Jan. 12 and

Toronto, Jan. 17.

Interesting. Thanks for the stats, I'd been meaning to look those up. Seems they're close enough to get it done. If New Orleans can't sellout two games to lock the franchise in...

As for San Jose, that wasn't on anyone's short list that I saw, and understanably so as you'd think the N. Calif. market is already at capacity. Money talks though, and that article makes some sense out of the Warriors' high sale price.

Perhaps the thought is that any Warriors fanbase lost in one direction might be made up for by an eventual Kings exit from another?

EDIT: Found the edit button on mobile and cleaned up this sloppy post.

Archived