Next Move Or Expansion

ltjets21

They're doing big renos to the St. Pete Times Forum. Could they be prepping for the NBA?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're doing big renos to the St. Pete Times Forum. Could they be prepping for the NBA?

It is for mechanical items (HVAC), new seats, and a party deck, but they also want $40M in taxpayer funds to do it too. The new ownership group did say that they could fund it themselves, but they do have their hands out. Plus the 2012 Republican National Convention is set to be there next year.

AEG & Farmers Insurance Reach Naming-Rights Deal

AEG and Farmers Insurance will reportedly announce today that they have entered into a 30-year, $70 million naming-rights deal for the football stadium/events center that AEG is proposing to build in downtown Los Angeles. AEG has made it known that they are seeking at least one NFL franchise as a tenant for the facility.

The agreement starts at $20 million for the first year and escalates incrementally each year after that. It would mark the richest stadium naming-rights deal to date, eclipsing the $40 million deals at Citi Field (New York Mets) and the under-construction Barclays Center (New Jersey Nets).

"I'm sure that every owner in the league today looks at this and says, 'This is going to happen.'" - Tim Leiweke, AEG President & CEO

"When you take a naming rights deal like that, and their history of building and running venues, nothing can compete with this." - Jonathan Kraft, New England Patriots President

"Every owner to a man thinks that we've got to have a team in the second-largest market in the country." - Stephen Jones, Dallas Cowboys COO

Chargers, Jaguars, Vikings, Rams, etc. fans... the race to Los Angeles is on!

In a capless NFL, having the resources of Los Angeles is essential for continued success. Time to move to LA-mokyu!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I doubt it. The Magic aren't leaving Orlando, they have a brand new stadium. If the Magic aren't going to Tampa then no team is, as I'm fairly certain Tampa falls within the Magic's territorial rights.

Somehow, I don't see the Vikings staying in Minnesota. They obviously need a new stadium and there's no way the Minnesota taxpayers are gonna build a third major sports venue in 5 years. I would also think the other NFL owners want the Vikings to move to LA more than any of the other candidates since they'd then be able to use Minneapolis as leverage while sticking their current cities up for ransom the same way they've used LA for the past decade and a half. Somehow, threatening to move to Birmingham or San Antonio (or San Diego or St. Louis, as the case may be) doesn't have the same bite to it as LA or the Twin Cities.

Somehow, I don't see the Vikings staying in Minnesota. They obviously need a new stadium and there's no way the Minnesota taxpayers are gonna build a third major sports venue in 5 years. I would also think the other NFL owners want the Vikings to move to LA more than any of the other candidates since they'd then be able to use Minneapolis as leverage while sticking their current cities up for ransom the same way they've used LA for the past decade and a half. Somehow, threatening to move to Birmingham or San Antonio (or San Diego or St. Louis, as the case may be) doesn't have the same bite to it as LA or the Twin Cities.

I'd say the Chargers are the most likely, due to their stadium needs plus the fact that they are already the Southern California market for the NFL. Vikes and Jags would be my next best guesses to fill the spot(s). Bills are a small possibility, but I see them going to Toronto before LA. And I may be a homer, but I honestly see the chances of the Rams heading back west less likely. I know there's still that possibility of a new stadium there luring them, but I believe Kroenke will definately keep them in the midwest.

Well, look at the issues with Target Center and the T-Wolves

From the story:

An array of civic leaders on Tuesday proposed a $150 million renovation they said would keep Target Center in downtown Minneapolis competitive for 20 years.

But they said they still have to work out who would pay for it.

Backers say they'll make a pitch for state assistance, arguing that the state benefits from arena taxes. But the city, the Timberwolves and facility manager AEG also are potential contributors, according to John Stiles, spokesman for Mayor R.T. Rybak.

One source that Rybak ruled out is an additional contribution from city property taxes.

They're gone. I actually don't think the league wants them to go to LA, but since they'll never get the stadium deal, they have no choice (as pro sports are run in this day and age). The Twin Cities is nothing in terms of leverage. Getting a team in LA makes the "leverage" game a lot less successful. The Twins ballpark was a miracle and that deal was struck before bad economic times. Once the Vikes are gone, the NFL is gone for good. And it's time.

Well, look at the issues with Target Center and the T-Wolves

From the story:

An array of civic leaders on Tuesday proposed a $150 million renovation they said would keep Target Center in downtown Minneapolis competitive for 20 years.

But they said they still have to work out who would pay for it.

Backers say they'll make a pitch for state assistance, arguing that the state benefits from arena taxes. But the city, the Timberwolves and facility manager AEG also are potential contributors, according to John Stiles, spokesman for Mayor R.T. Rybak.

One source that Rybak ruled out is an additional contribution from city property taxes.

Unlike the Vikes, there will be almost nobody in the public supporting putting a nickel in to keep the Wolves here. The NBA is based on free agency and nobody wants to sign here because of our miserable weather (and poorly-run team). There really is no reason for the NBA not to contract the T-Wolves.

The Twins and Wild both put people in the seats and the University football and basketball teams suffice for this area. (The football program was great before the vikings and may be able to be good once they leave).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

They're gone. I actually don't think the league wants them to go to LA, but since they'll never get the stadium deal, they have no choice (as pro sports are run in this day and age). The Twin Cities is nothing in terms of leverage. Getting a team in LA makes the "leverage" game a lot less successful. The Twins ballpark was a miracle and that deal was struck before bad economic times. Once the Vikes are gone, the NFL is gone for good. And it's time.

It's still a Top 15 television market. As you mentioned and I alluded to, the NFL owners didn't want a team in LA because of the leverage it gave them, but they knew someone would eventually move there. And of all the potential teams, the Vikings would be abandoning the biggest and most lucrative market thereby giving them the strongest possible leverage for when the next wave of stadiums comes around (assuming the idea of taxpayer-funded palaces hasn't been rightfully and thoroughly rejected by then).

Arden Hills gets Vikings stadium look

There is some slight promise with this. It's located by major highways and is up for government auction this year. The best quote is at the bottom of the article:

"It's a non-election year. This is the year we need to get it done."

Vikings' officials have been meeting more and more about this site, and also have a couple more sites they have been meeting about.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Arden Hills gets Vikings stadium look

There is some slight promise with this. It's located by major highways and is up for government auction this year. The best quote is at the bottom of the article:

"It's a non-election year. This is the year we need to get it done."

Vikings' officials have been meeting more and more about this site, and also have a couple more sites they have been meeting about.

I have a feeling with the latest press conference in Los Angeles, they're probably desperately trying to come up with a plan. For what it's worth, I think that the Chargers are a slam-dunk to go to Los Angeles, and not the Vikings. Plus, while the Twin Cities aren't Southern California, I think the talk of "they have a team in Jacksonville, but not Minneapolis-St. Paul" to surface shortly after a move. Plus, you got an established fan-base in Southern California, and the Vikings has more of a fan-base than either the Chargers or Jaguars.

Personally, I too see the Chargers moving north, joined by the Rams in three years. If St Louis has the money at that point, they can make a play for the Jags, who are having second thoughts about not seizing the LA market when they had the chance.

Somehow, I see the Twin Cities pulling it out. The fanbase is too solid.

The OC Register's story on Farmers Field has the L.A. mayor quoted as saying he "has a preference of teams -- you've seen pictures," apparently referring to mockups like above where Farmers is replaced by Vikings in one and Chargers in the other. Have we seen these?

Not that I'm aware of.

Why wouldn't he prefer those two? They're better than either the Rams or Jaguars, the other two teams on offer.

Archived