Your "Second Team"

gingerbreadmann

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have family in Columbus & Miami... so I tend to cheer for the teams that they cheer for as well.

NFL Favourite: Dolphins

Also cheers for: Bills & Bengals

Mom's a big Bills fan... I feel for her.

MLB Favourite: Blue Jays

Also cheers for: Reds & Yankees

Liking the Yankees is more based off of my hatred of the Red Sox than anything.

NHL Favourite: Maple Leafs

Also cheers for: Blue Jackets & Canadian teams not named Senators

NCAA Favourite: The Ohio State Buckeyes

Also cheers for: Miami FL & any rival of Alabama

Because Nick Saban is a schmuck.

CFL Favourite: Argonauts

Also cheers for: Alouettes

Dad's a big Als fan.

NBA Favourite: Raptors

Also cheers for: Suns

In Canada, not cheering for Steve Nash is against the law. Look it up.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

MLB-It should be patently obvious from my signature who my favorite team is.

My second team is the Angels. I always felt bad for them as a kid in the '80's and '90's when they were a less-than-competent team, and was very happy to see them finally win a championship (unfortunately, too late for Mr. Autry to see it). I've always wondered why so many other Dodger fans have something against them; they don't even play in the same league, so it's not like they're divisional rivals or anything. This might just be one of those Yankees vs. Mets/White Sox vs. Cubs things, where territory within a metro area becomes an issue.

NFL-Chargers all the way. I wasn't a football fan as a kid, but by the time I really got into it, the Chargers were the closest team to LA geographically, so I picked them. It helped that they were getting better around that time ^_^ . The fact that they spent their first season in LA is a nice little bonus, too.

Can't say I really have a second team in football. The closest thing to one might be the Niners. I developed a lot of respect for them after an old roommate of mine, who was a fan of theirs, told me all about their history and legacy (this was before I became a full-fledged football fan).

NBA-Again, signature says it all.

My second team, at this point, is the Clippers, although I'm not sure I could necessarily say that a few years ago. Although I've always liked them and felt extremely sorry for them, I have never been super-attached to them, even given the fact that they play in my town. I would say that over my time watching basketball, I had developed an attachment to the Sonics. They were the coolest team playing in a generally cool city, and had had some interesting players and moments over the course of their history. I was devastated when they left, and really don't consider the Thunder to be the same franchise (as I'm sure most of you don't either), a la the Browns/Ravens scenario.

NHL-Not really a big hockey fan, but if I were, I'm sure I'd support the hometown team. Hard not to feel for the Kings, given their rough history.

Second team would be either the Ducks or Sharks, more than likely. Ducks are the other team in my metro area, so why not? There's something I've always liked about the Sharks, and I can't put my finger on it. I think a big part of it is probably their visual identity; their old logo and uniform set were cool, and the new stuff is even cooler. Plus, I was kind of impressed by how competitive they became just three seasons into their history, and how they've remained pretty competitive since.

Fun thread.

My favourite MLB team: Toronto Blue Jays

Second team: Colorado Rockies. It took me a long time to decide this. I'm from New Jersey, being a Jays fan doesn't really make sense. But I was 12 when I chose the Jays and those two World Series titles were fun before they decided to not be very good since then. Anyway, it boiled down to the Rockies or Cardinals as my 2nd team, since I've lived in both cities as an adult and attended a lot of their games. The Rockies ended up winning out because 1) they're a younger team and it doesn't feel as odd rooting for them, 2) That '07 pennant race was something I felt actively part of. I went to the last game they lost before never losing until the World Series that year, went to the NLDS clincher against Philly back when you could still buy playoff tickets off the actual web site after a regular season game and 3) I have more favorite Rockies than I do favorite Blue Jays and it's not even close.

NFL Favourite: New York Jets

Second team: I guess the Giants. I don't give this a lot of thought, but...since my dad and brother root for Big Blue and we share a stadium with them and the Parcells connection it's sort of logical to me. But I'm not a fervent Giants fan at all and if I could find a reliable second team, I'd jettison them.

NHL Favourite: New Jersey Devils

Second team: Good question. I think when your team has success long enough it gets harder and harder to even consider rooting for anyone else. If the Whalers still existed in Hartford, that'd be my no-brainer 2nd team right now. If the Islanders move to Brooklyn with the new arena, I'd probably go with a reincarnated Brooklyn Americans squad as my second team. Save for that, I dunno. Calgary would probably get the nod right now because of Iginla. But that's digging deep. I hate the Avs, Rangers, Red Wings, Hurricanes and Stars. I don't hate the Ducks, but the name change and the fact we played them in the Cup Finals make unable to wish anything good for them.

NBA Favourite: New Jersey Nets

Second team: Golden State Warriors. I literally decided that for this post, because I wasn't sure. Vancouver was when the Grizzlies were there.

NCAA Favourite: Wyoming Cowboys

Second team: Rutgers Scarlet Knights in football, Seton Hall in basketball, North Dakota in hockey

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

NBA Favourite: New Orleans Hornets. Been following them since 1991.

Second favourite: Milwaukee Bucks/Boston Celtics. The first game I ever saw was Hornets-Celtics, and I was always a fan of Larry Bird. With the Bucks, I loved their uniforms and always enjoyed watching guys like Moncrief & Sikma. I wouldn't say I "follow" these teams, but I certainly hate them less than every other team.

EPL Favourite: Manchester City.

Second Favourite: Aston Villa. They're the "local" team, and when I was at school we'd have players coming down to do workshops & training sessions. There were always plenty of free match tickets, too.

NFL Favorite: Patriots

Also roots for: Falcons & Chiefs

-Mike Vick, BC Alum Matt Ryan, Uniforms

-Former Pats players and staff galore and I like Todd Haley too

MLB Favorite: Red Sox

Also roots for: Marlins

I love the uniforms, Hanley, what the Sox got in return for Hanley, and the way the operate sort of

NHL Favorite: Bruins

Also roots for: Sabres and anyone who beats the Devils, Rangers, and Canadiens

Because I'm rooting for what happened in Bruce Almighty to actually happen? Don't really have a second NHL team

NBA Favorite: Celtics

Also roots for: Suns

I like the uniforms, their style of play, BC alum Jared Dudley, and watching them beat the Lakers

Soccer Favorite: Fulham FC

Also Roots For: Chelsea

First team I started following and they're more visible than Fulham

NCAA Basketball: UConn and BC

NCAA Football: UConn and BC

Also roots for: USC and Notre Dame

Pete Carroll, Charlie Weis, Touchdown Jesus, USC's color scheme

CFL. Favorite

Hamilton Tiger-Cats

Second - None

NFL. Favorite

Green Bay Packers

Second - 49ers I was a huge fan of Montana,Rice back in the day

NCAA.Favorite

Michigan Wolveriens

Second - None

NBA.Favorite

Los Angeles Lakers

Second - Suns & Spurs I am a huge Steve Nash & Tim Duncun fan

NHL. Favorite

Montreal Canadians*

Second - Philadelphia Flyers*

* Right now I am boycotting all things NHL. do to the treatment of the city of Hamilton & Jim Balsille at the hands of the NHL.

Soccer Favorite

Glasgow Rangers FC.

Second - None

NCAA Basketball: UConn and BC

NCAA Football: UConn and BC

Also roots for: USC and Notre Dame

I'm sorry man, but I think there is some law of physics or something that prevents this. I mean, if you asked me to think of schools that you are required to hate as a BC fan, Yukon and ND would probably be 1-2, and USC (albeit for no specific reason; just because it feels right) might be not too far after Holy Cross and BU hockey. Rooting for UConn and BC simultaneously is some kind of oxymoron in itself, but Notre Dame and USC? That's hardcore treason. :P

NHL

Favorite: Anaheim Ducks

Second: Pittsburgh Penguins

Why Pittsburgh?: Well, I was a fan of the Pens during the days of the Lemieux-Jagr connection and loved the "robo-penguin". For years, I was a die-hard Ducks fan and still am. However, with Kunitz and Bylsma, especially Crosby and Malkin in the mix, I've had a renewed interest in them for a year or so.

MLB

Favorite: Chicago White Sox

Second: Toronto Blue Jays, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Why Toronto?: I don't know, I just like Canada. :flagcanada:

Why L.A./Anaheim?: I love California teams.

NFL

Favorite: Baltimore Ravens

Second: Houston Texans

Why Houston?: Well, before there were the Texans and Titans, there were the Oilers. I LOVED the Oilers dearly and still miss them to this day. When Houston got an expansion club I was extremely excited and have supported them since. However, before the Texans I used to like the Titans.

MLS

Favorite: Red Bull New York

Second: L.A. Galaxy

Why L.A.?: Donovan is a stand out guy and I love that in a footballer. Plus, as I said before I like California teams.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

MLB: Padres

Second team: Blue Jays

NFL: Chargers

Second team: Saints

Drew Brees is a great player and person and I followed him to NO.

NHL: Bruins

Second team: Sharks

Bruins were the team I grew up watching when I started liking hockey. Sharks are second favorite because of the gf. Randy and Drew are always on in this house.

MLS: Whitecaps

Second team: Sounders

NCAA: Washington State

Second team: Texas

Never have been a Huskies fan, always rooted for Wazzu. My dad is from Texas and he raised me to root for the Longhorns.

As for the rest: Was born in San Diego so that explains the Chargers and Padres. Canada has always felt like home more than the US, so most of the time, I will be rooting for at least one Canadian team (although never the Leafs or Canadiens.)

I get asked a lot that if Seattle got an NHL team, would my allegiance switch? After being a Bruins fan for over 22 years, I can't say that it would.

MLB Favorite team: New York Yankees

Second team: Philadelphia Phillies (1)

NFL Favorite: New England Patriots

Second team: Philadelphia Eagles(1), Pittsburgh Steelers(2), New Orleans Saints(3)

NHL Favorite: New Jersey Devils

Second team: Vancouver Canucks, Philadelphia Flyers

NBA Favorite: New Jersey Nets

Second team: Portland Trail-Blazers, New Orleans

MLS Favorite: Philadelphia Union

Second team: Seattle Sounders/Vancouver Whitecaps

NCAA Favorite: Villanova Wildcats (I'm a student a 'Nova)

Second team: Rutgers Scarlet Knights (I'm from Jersey)

Tampa Bay Everybody Loves Rays

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

MLB favorite: Boston Red Sox & San Francisco Giants. I give 50% of love to each one of them. :D

Second team: None.

NFL favorite: Miami Dolphins.

Second team: Cleveland Browns.

Why? That all the folklore about the Dawgpoud finished to seduce me.

NHL favorite: Montréal Canadiens.

NBA favorite: Boston Celtics.

Int'l Soccer favorite: Independiente Argentina

Second team: Olimpia Paraguay & Internazionale Milano Italy

Why? I lived in Paraguay so I root for Olimpia. I root for Inter Milano because some of its founders were Swiss ones.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

• 1 month later...

Nice thread idea.

But anyway I'd say:

NFL: Minnesota Vikings

NFL #2: Baltimore Ravens

NHL: Minnesota Wild

NHL #2: Any team playing the Ducks. Stupid Ducks.

MLB: Chicago White Sox (Heresy for a Minnesotan but I can't stand Joe Mauer and the Twins)

MLB #2: Hm... Also don't know. Maybe none. I like the St. Paul Saints more than the White Sox (who WERE an incarnation of the Saints before moving to Chicago) but they aren't an MLB team obviously.

International Soccer: Eintracht Frankfurt

International Soccer #2: Arsenal F.C.

Favorite teams: Buccaneers, Rays, Lightning, USF

Being that I had my early years in the Metro Detroit area, my second teams are the Lions, Tigers, and U. of Mich. Don't really have a 2nd hockey team, can't stand the Red Wings.

Figure i'd jump in on this as well:

MLB:

Favorite: Boston Red Sox

2nd: Atlanta Braves

Grew up, like many, watching them local and on TBS.

NFL:

Favorite: Carolina Panthers

2nd: Washington Redskins

My Dad growing up was a deadskins fan, so I naturally followed...

NBA:

Favorite: Boston Celtics

2nd: Charlotte Bobcats

Gotta have the hometown backup, lol!

NCAA:

Favorite: North Carolina Tar Heels

2nd: Anyone playing Duke.

Nothing but cold blooded hatred for Duke, it's fans, it's students, and anything remotely close to Durham. :lol:

Some are debating whether it's even proper to have a "second team." My thought is, if my team is out of it, I want to root for somebody, just to make the game and/or the rest of the season interesting.

MLB:

Favorite team: Yankees

Second team: Phillies (merely because of geography)

NFL:

(Well, I don't even have a first team here, so let's just skip it.)

NBA:

Favorite team: Celtics

Second team: Nets (I'm originally from N.J.)

NHL:

Favorite team: Maple Leafs

Second team: Red Wings

(both are simply because I like the uniforms)

NCAA:

Favorite team: Pennsylvania Quakers

Second team (football): Penn State

Second team (basketball): If Penn doesn't make the tournament, I root for the Ivy League winner and/or other teams from the Big Five. Also Bucknell, since they are nearby.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Archived