2010-11 NHL Season Thread

Still MIGHTY

I had to invoke three Red Wings in this post, and two of them in a positive manner. Thanks a lot. Die in a fire.

Happy New Year. Enjoy your Silkwood shower.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Pierre Lebrun on HNIC, the leading candidates to host the next Winter Classic are Philadelphia and Denver. He also said that the NHL prefers football stadiums to baseball stadiums.

Go West, NHL! There's no reason to have a Classic in Western PA one season and Eastern PA the following season.

Exactly. The game should really alternate conferences each year anyways. Plus we don't want to be repeating teams again two years in a row with Philly.

Who would the Avs opponent be? Despite my opposition to it, the NHL doesn't seem to mind a repeat so we could see the Red Wings or Blackhawks in it. Red Wings if they want to play up the rivalry and get the TV viewers. They'd get the viewers with Chicago as well. Divisionally, they'd have to go with the Wild for an American team. An Avalanche choice opens up a wide number of teams for the opposition. And of course I'd love it to be my Ducks (especially seeing as the only way they'd be in one is on the road, although the conditions in Pittsburgh today weren't all that different than what we've had the past week), but NBC would have a difficult time hyping up Avalanche/Ducks to the national casual sports fan.

If they do go to Philly, I think it'd be pretty obvious that the Rangers would be the front runners to be their opponent.

Interesting, but seeing that the NHL probably wants to keep doing this beyond next year I just compiled a list of the potential teams and their host venues. It seems that NBC is trying to avoid Canadian cities and it's too risky to hold it in traditionally warm weather cities so that leaves us with:

"cold" weather cities

Detroit Red Wings - Comerica Park or Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor Minnesota Wild - TCF or Target Field

Colorado Avalanche - Invesco or Coors Field

Boston Bruins - fenway or gillette

Buffalo Sabres - Ralph Wilson

Chicago Blackhawks- wrigley or soldier field

Columbus Blue Jackets - Ohio Stadium

New Jersey Devils - meadowlands stadium

New York Islanders - ?

New York Rangers - yankee stadium (I think this is ruled out thanks to pinstripe bowl) or they could play at meadowlands stadium

Philadelphia Flyers - lincoln financial or citizens bank park

Pittsburgh Penguins - heinze, pnc

not sure about their january 1st weather

Washington Capitals - Fed ex or nationals park

St. Louis Blues - busch stadium

Just as the host city we can eliminate any of the warm weather cities. We can probably eliminate Columbus, New York Islanders, and New Jersey because they wouldn't be large enough national draws, though I still think they could sell Blue Jackets at Ohio Stadium. We can eliminate Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston, and Buffalo because they just hosted. That leaves us with Detroit, Philadelphia, Minnesota, Colorado, and New York

We know that the Rangers are going to host this thing sooner or later, but for next year out of that group I'd love to see the Avalanche host the game and it would be cool if they played one of the southern teams, though I don't know who.

A Detroit Winter Classic needs to be in... Detroit so I think Comerica is the place to have it.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Ottawa is playing in Columbus tonight with the Blue Jackets in their third. Hooray for another Senators win. biggrin.gif

Try again. CBJ wins in OT.

Corrected yet again. Anyone have Columbus' record while wearing their third?

2-5

I still think they're cursed though. Against Minnesota they never had a power play while Minnesota had 7, the faced 1-0 and 2-1 deficits, gave up a goal with 1.5 seconds left, and up 3-2 gave up the tying goal after missing a breakaway of their own. A lot of crazy occurrences there even though they won in a shootout. Last night they had a 3-0 lead before allowing Ottawa a late second period goal and two third period goals. Thank god they won in OT.

It was a fun game though. I was sitting in 206 with some buddies and the place was packed. It reminded me of the games from the first couple years. Rowdy and loud. Also, Mr. Healthy Scratch, Jake Voracek had an assist and scored the game winner. Good for him and the Jackets are on a 3 game winning streak albeit with wins over Minnesota, Toronto, and Ottawa.

Oh the atmosphere last night was great in the arena. Very good game, and all things considered, I think blowing the lead could actually be good for this team. The extra point being given up doesn't hurt the CBJ, and it's really nice to see them fight back from adversity, and for Voracek to get a good confidence boost. You could tell he was the Jacket with the fresh legs last night after being scratched the night before. Fun night, and I think the thirds look pretty good in person. Not as good as the primaries, but I like 'em.

They look way better in person than they do on TV, but the primaries are so much better it's ridiculous. I hate how the team store is pushing all this cannon stuff. It's okay, but it doesn't need to take over your regular identity.

It's working though. I'd say a plurality of CBJ stuff I saw was cannon-driven (maybe like 40% cannon, 35% current, and then 25% old stuff?). Big game tonight to start out a roadtrip though.

6fQjS3M.png

I'm gonna let you guys know, I consider myself kind of a backseat NHL fan. I follow the playoffs and thats about it.

but the Winter Classic has really gotten me interested in hockey. This is the first time its happened so I don't really get it. I even said that if the winter classic came to NY I would no doubt go.

What a Classic. Rough and tumble, you can tell these teams HATE each other, and thats good, cause the fans reciprocate that hatred. Caps fans were loud and proud and I couldnt be happier.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

What a Classic. Rough and tumble, you can tell these teams HATE each other, and thats good, cause the fans reciprocate that hatred. Caps fans were loud and proud and I couldnt be happier.

It was intense, and that made it fun. If only the weather cooperated :D

It was intense, and that made it fun. If only the weather cooperated :D

In my opinion the weather was normally an advantage for the Pens, its well known that the Caps like to get fancy and the Pens are the keep it simple team, but the Caps adjusted their game plan, and stuck to it. It was refreshing to see. The Caps have been playing a new defensive structure for a couple weeks now and it will serve them well. Its good to see the Caps evolving and even more so Bruce Boudreau evolving as a coach. Thats been his main weakness since he's been here, his unwillingness to change the gameplan. Good to see hes learning from his mistakes.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

The Pens' Guardian Project superhero has been unveiled. Looks like the X-men traded Cyclops to Pittsburgh for future considerations.

:lol:

Here I was hoping for the Penguin :lol:

batmanpenguinsd5.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Lets say the NHL puts the Winter Classic in Denver for the 2011-2012 Season. In order of importance, here are a few potential match-ups that I would like to see happen:

1) Avalanche vs. Kings

2) Avalanche vs. Canucks

3) Avalanche vs. Sharks

4) Avalanche vs. Red Wings

5) Avalanche vs. Stars

6) Avalanche vs. Wild

As much as I'd like to see Red Wings-Avs @ Invesco or Stars-Minnesota @ TCF Bank Stadium, this attached story seems to point towards the NY metropolitan area to get the 2012 Classic.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/558851-nhl-winter-classic-new-york-tri-state-area-doubleheader-for-2012

For the 2012 Winter Classic, it is widely suspected that the New York Rangers are due to make an appearance. With Yankee Stadium off-limits due to college football bowl game obligations, it appears that the prime venues to host the event in the New York metro-area would be CitiField in Queens or the New Meadowlands Stadium in New Jersey.

An intriguing idea that has been tossed around by fans is a doubleheader to take place on Saturday, December 31, 2011. A likely scenario would be an afternoon New Jersey Devils vs Philadelphia Flyers game followed by a New York Rangers vs New York Islanders battle. Other teams that could be in the mix could include the Buffalo Sabres or Detroit Red Wings.

Lets say the NHL puts the Winter Classic in Denver for the 2011-2012 Season. In order of importance, here are a few potential match-ups that I would like to see happen:

1) Avalanche vs. Kings

2) Avalanche vs. Canucks

3) Avalanche vs. Sharks

4) Avalanche vs. Red Wings

5) Avalanche vs. Stars

6) Avalanche vs. Wild

Out of these, Avalanche vs. Canucks is the most interesting of the two. But, you could also do the Avs and Stars. That would be an interesting combination. However, I'd rather see the Winter Classic in Minnesota and have the Minnesota Wild vs. Dallas Stars.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

The NHL isn't gonna put any of the first three teams in a national game, so it'll be the Red Wings. They wouldn't put the next two in, either. I just worry that the rivalry will have really died down. I mean, you really have to rack your brain to remember when Kris Draper played for the Red Wings.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

In my opinion the weather was normally an advantage for the Pens, its well known that the Caps like to get fancy and the Pens are the keep it simple team...

[theregoesmazwhiningagain]

That's one of the pens' problems - they don't keep it simple. Especially on the power play.

They made plays last night that might have worked, barely, inside. But last night all that blew up in their face. Granted, it was outside, and throwing staal in the lineup probably messed up their chemistry since it messed up the lines, including the recently-productive third line, but hopefully they learn from this and stop trying to make the perfect highlight reel play every time.

People other than Sid need to score. The powerplay is terrible.

[/theregoesmazwhiningagain]

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - 2006  |  New Orleans JazzCats - Major League Hockey (AHL) - 2023

As much as I'd like to see Red Wings-Avs @ Invesco or Stars-Minnesota @ TCF Bank Stadium, this attached story seems to point towards the NY metropolitan area to get the 2012 Classic.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/558851-nhl-winter-classic-new-york-tri-state-area-doubleheader-for-2012

For the 2012 Winter Classic, it is widely suspected that the New York Rangers are due to make an appearance. With Yankee Stadium off-limits due to college football bowl game obligations, it appears that the prime venues to host the event in the New York metro-area would be CitiField in Queens or the New Meadowlands Stadium in New Jersey.

An intriguing idea that has been tossed around by fans is a doubleheader to take place on Saturday, December 31, 2011. A likely scenario would be an afternoon New Jersey Devils vs Philadelphia Flyers game followed by a New York Rangers vs New York Islanders battle. Other teams that could be in the mix could include the Buffalo Sabres or Detroit Red Wings.

Until you realize its Bleacher Report and move along.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

In my opinion the weather was normally an advantage for the Pens, its well known that the Caps like to get fancy and the Pens are the keep it simple team...

[theregoesmazwhiningagain]

That's one of the pens' problems - they don't keep it simple. Especially on the power play.

They made plays last night that might have worked, barely, inside. But last night all that blew up in their face. Granted, it was outside, and throwing staal in the lineup probably messed up their chemistry since it messed up the lines, including the recently-productive third line, but hopefully they learn from this and stop trying to make the perfect highlight reel play every time.

People other than Sid need to score. The powerplay is terrible.

[/theregoesmazwhiningagain]

Didn't they win a Cup and Crosby becoming master of all things hockey by keeping it simple? What happened? The way HBO portrays Bylsma is him being a great tactical genius. I'm honestly intrigued as to what made them switch from what made them successful in the playoffs. Maybe they dont feel the need to play that way till the playoffs?

It was really refreshing to see Pittsburgh's stadium get invaded for once, since you know, they invade everyone else's home stadiums.

Hell yeah. There were large swaths of red in the crowd. I was proud to be a Caps fan seeing us invade someone elses stadium.

Archived