2010-11 NHL Season Thread

Still MIGHTY

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I guess this means the Stars are open for business.

To Pittsburgh

F James Neal

D Matt Niskanen

To Dallas

D Alex Goligoski

Looks like a win for Pittsburgh.

Stars easily lost that deal. Man, lot of head-scratchers going on, lately.

So I guess this means the Stars are open for business.

To Pittsburgh

F James Neal

D Matt Niskanen

To Dallas

D Alex Goligoski

Looks like a win for Pittsburgh.

Stars easily lost that deal. Man, lot of head-scratchers going on, lately.

no the stars didn't lose the deal. they got ass raped in the deal.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

So the Heritage Classic became the most profitable of all the outdoor games, yeah the ice really wasn't the greatest and it just goes to show what warmer weather can do, today for the Hitmen and Pats game weather is a perfect 0 degrees and the ice is awesome.

But all I'm reading is negative press about the game. Scott Burnside (Worst Hockey Writer ever) says the "NHL decided to throw Canadians a bone and give them an outdoor game" This game did better then any past Outdoor game and it didn't rely on a ton of media attention or an HBO special. So for the Americans who follow the NHL what did you guys think of the game though first off I should ask did you even have a chance to watch as it was on Versus.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

So the Heritage Classic became the most profitable of all the outdoor games, yeah the ice really wasn't the greatest and it just goes to show what warmer weather can do, today for the Hitmen and Pats game weather is a perfect 0 degrees and the ice is awesome.

But all I'm reading is negative press about the game. Scott Burnside (Worst Hockey Writer ever) says the "NHL decided to throw Canadians a bone and give them an outdoor game" This game did better then any past Outdoor game and it didn't rely on a ton of media attention or an HBO special. So for the Americans who follow the NHL what did you guys think of the game though first off I should ask did you even have a chance to watch as it was on Versus.

I watched it. It was your typical outdoor game. The game on 1/1 was horrible considering it wasnt cold, it rained which made the ice worse, and it wasnt in one of the nice picturesque Stadiums like the others were (besides Buffalo). The Pens/Caps rivalry draws. I dont know how you can say it did any "better" than any of the other outdoor games without the advantage of Canadian ratings, and even then, we all know Canada is a hockey mad country and will watch any game thats aired on CBC. I'm glad they gave Canada an outdoor game cause thats where the game came to be.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

It was what it was, another generic outdoor game put in a football stadium. There was nothing special at all about it. The outdoor games have become boring. They should do this once every 10 years, and award it to the home or at least have the prior year's Stanley Cup winner in it. There's nothing special about them anymore. I don't care where it's at, it's been overdone.

There seems to be a media bandwagon of "oh too many outdoor games" which I think is just grumpy hockey writers without anything original to say. I hardly think having two games, one for each country in the NHL every year is overdoing it. Yeah, if the rumour about doing four a year is true, that might be going too far. We're certainly going to see games in many other markets because this thing is a huge money maker. Toronto hasn't even gotten in on one yet. I'm wondering also about an game in the newly renovated BC Place in Vancouver sometime.

I think what would be better if both games were on the same day, or back to back days.

I think they should do 2 each year. Both on New Year's Day. One in the States and one in Canada. One at 1 pm and 1 at 6 pm. Call it Hockey Day in North America, or something.

Boom. Done.

Yeah but that is a lot of competition against the College Bowls.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I think they should do 2 each year. Both on New Year's Day. One in the States and one in Canada. One at 1 pm and 1 at 6 pm. Call it Hockey Day in North America, or something.

Boom. Done.

I like it.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I'm sure our Penguins fans here know, but Brian Strait is making his NHL debut tonight for Pittsburgh. He happens to be my cousin's brother-in-law. I've met him a couple times, and he's a really nice guy. (if only he chose BC over BU!) Anyway, he hasn't played much so far, but hopefully he does well.

Boom. Done.

Yeah but that is a lot of competition against the College Bowls.

They got really lucky this past year with the weather forcing it to move to primetime, and them only having to go up against a UConn/Oklahoma snoozefest. If they had gone on at their scheduled time, they would've went up against some real heavyweight bowls (with college powerhouses peppered all over). Personally I think what they have right now is perfect. Move the Winter Classic to primetime, & keep the Heritage Classic in its date & timeslot. That way, the Winter Classic will only have to deal with minimal competition, & the Heritage Classic won't have to deal with the NFL (or NBA. They got real lucky here, too. Heritage Classic ended right as the NBA All-Star Game began) stealing eyeballs from fans in the states. They had a real sweet deal going on this year, & unless there's a real good reason, I don't see any reason to change it. That's just me, though.

Pretty annoying that the Blackhawks are a +23 in goal differential and stuck in 11th. Kings are at +21. I'd expect both teams to rise up to the top and squeeze out two of the negative-differential teams (Minnesota, Nashville, Anaheim) by the end of the year, as that's how things usually even themselves out. That or the Hawks are going to start losing games by eight goals.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived