Saints in WHITE pants?

mightynine

I vaguely remember this look. I never saw the white on white, but I do remember the white on black, and think I saw a game with the black on white. I do know I've got football cards of the look, and have always enjoyed it.

Yep, white pants.

2164845.jpg

Mike Strachan seems to think he's open (#33 in background). :D

I remember those unis well and thought they were a nice look. IMO a great set would be the current helmet and jersey coupled with these pants. As always though, I wish they'd go back to the original '67 shade of gold.

Here's an odd sight that fits the thread...Earl Campbell as a Saint (and in white pants too).

Auto112.jpg

When Hank Stram came in 1976 he had the pants changed to black. Note the horribly mismatched golds (pants vs. socks).

3275346.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

How about gold letters and numbers?

Have the SAINTS ever worn them with their white jersey?

That would look sharp.

RAIDERS throwbacks are silver number & letters on their white road jerseys (throwback version), they look brilliant!

That would look sharp.

RAIDERS throwbacks are silver number & letters on their white road jerseys (throwback version), they look brilliant!

4724962.jpg

It looks better, but it needs a super thick black outline. I assume they ditched it because it was hard to read sometimes on tv, but with HD, they easily could rock it now. However, something tells me after a Super Bowl you're not going to see any major changes too their set.

white on white was a great look. In fact the Saints wore all white in 75 - the year the Superdome opened. If you want to see mismatched, I have one of the game-worn gold jerseys from the Minnesota game.

By the way, does anyone have a definitive list of metallic over white on white? This is what I have (regardless of year)

New Orleans

San Francisco

Seattle (pacific blue is a metallic)

St. Louis Rams

Tampa Bay (pewter)

Carolina

Birmingham (USFL)

4724962.jpg

Wow, they wore gold numbers on the away from 96 to 99?! I don't ever remember this, then again I was about 7 to 9 years old around the time and never really had much exposure to NFL. Only saw them in games, and back then the only game that had full on uniforms was NFL Blitz.

bSLCtu2.png

That would look sharp.

Buc, you know what's coming!

Yes, as a matter of fact they did have gold numbers on white - on their original uniforms in fact, and it looked a lot better with the darker gold they used then. Obviously the helmet stripes hadn't been finalized when this pic was taken:

4331787958_566316587d_o.jpg

UniWatch ran a Super Bowl edition with all you'd ever want to know about the Saints' unis:

UniWatch SB Edition

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

white on white was a great look. In fact the Saints wore all white in 75 - the year the Superdome opened. If you want to see mismatched, I have one of the game-worn gold jerseys from the Minnesota game.

By the way, does anyone have a definitive list of metallic over white on white? This is what I have (regardless of year)

New Orleans

San Francisco

Seattle (pacific blue is a metallic)

St. Louis Rams

Tampa Bay (pewter)

Carolina

Birmingham (USFL)

St. Louis Rams are metallic?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4724962.jpg

Wow, they wore gold numbers on the away from 96 to 99?! I don't ever remember this, then again I was about 7 to 9 years old around the time and never really had much exposure to NFL. Only saw them in games, and back then the only game that had full on uniforms was NFL Blitz.

IIRC, Ditka brought back the black numbers the same year he drafted Ricky...the picture above (Saints-Colts) looks to be the HOF Game in '96. Notice how Champion has its logo on the Saints' jerseys, and Wilson on the Colts' jerseys. If it was '99, Puma would have been the logo worn on both. The Saints changed the font style slightly in '97, and thickened the black outline.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4724962.jpg

IIRC, Ditka brought back the black numbers the same year he drafted Ricky...the picture above (Saints-Colts) looks to be the HOF Game in '96. Notice how Champion has its logo on the Saints' jerseys, and Wilson on the Colts' jerseys. If it was '99, Puma would have been the logo worn on both. The Saints changed the font style slightly in '97, and thickened the black outline.

That WAS the hof game in 96... I was there. The great thing about the HOF game is, since its basically on a high school field, during warm ups you can literally get inches from the players. Great photo ops.

Check out those Colts shoulder stripes... brings tears to my eyes.

Archived