Oakland Soldiers

davidson

Yo, I have been designing a logo for the Oakland Soldiers basketball team.

The team wanted to stay away from weaponry of any sort as well as the depiction of a mascot of any specific ethnicity.

With that in mind, I eventually decided to use the star symbol that the army uses. It is supposed to have a metalic rendered feel

to look like a medal or crest.

I wondered what people though?

Soldiers3.png

Soldiers almost always means military/army. I think there's still some non-weapon-related imagery you could use.

Right now, because of the color scheme, this looks more like a police badge. Which would probably give you more unintended ethnic connotations than anything.

I think it looks pretty awesome, at its along what the team wanted so not a whole lot you could do there. I didn't research or anything, but is there anything else, like a certain buliding or animal or something, related to oakland you could use? Just spittin' ideas.

Great work as always.

Fraser, I'm one of your biggest fans, but honestly, I would not have made a military connection to this had the wordmark not been there. Partially it feels like it's the color scheme (did the team make that call?), and the other thing is I don't necessarily associate a General's star to Soldiers.

Personally, maybe you could play off a Chevron patch, maybe with a basketball where the specialty is?

72157-big-1.jpg

Fraser, I'm one of your biggest fans, but honestly, I would not have made a military connection to this had the wordmark not been there. Partially it feels like it's the color scheme (did the team make that call?), and the other thing is I don't necessarily associate a General's star to Soldiers.

Personally, maybe you could play off a Chevron patch, maybe with a basketball where the specialty is?

72157-big-1.jpg

I like that idea. What do you reckon?

Soldiers4.png

Love the concept, and great execution on the rendering. The metallic bevel really looks perfect. I do think another visual link to "soldiers"--such as a chevron--would really help make this even better, if you can do it without totally throwing off the scale.

Edit: You beat me to it. While I like the concept of the chevron better, I think the original star logo (especially the wordmark) was much stronger visually. The subtle interactions between the ball and the star were gorgeous.

Why not keep the beveled star, but turn it into a medal?

320.jpg

usamedals.JPG

It would let you give a bit more reference to the military theme, help explain where the star comes from, and keep a better shape than the overly elongated chevron logo.

Also, I'd definitely keep the original wordmark. And I think the bottom right needs a notch removed like the bottom left. (I know it shouldn't actually be there, but it would really help keep things balanced.)

Why not keep the beveled star, but turn it into a medal?

320.jpg

usamedals.JPG

It would let you give a bit more reference to the military theme, help explain where the star comes from, and keep a better shape than the overly elongated chevron logo.

Also, I'd definitely keep the original wordmark. And I think the bottom right needs a notch removed like the bottom left. (I know it shouldn't actually be there, but it would really help keep things balanced.)

yeah, thats a possibility.

Soldiers6.png

here are a few versions.

not too keen on the shield behind it, perhaps there is a militaristic feel to the elements behind the second version.

Soldiers5.png

I like the 2nd version here, but maybe the star needs a white outline to make it stand out more.

I think the star logo with the circle and two bars behind it is a great primary, and the chevron could make a great secondary sans wordmark. The medal idea is interesting, but the design pinches where the ribbon meets the star.

Archived