Oakland Soldiers

Davidson

Yo, I have been designing a logo for the Oakland Soldiers basketball team.

The team wanted to stay away from weaponry of any sort as well as the depiction of a mascot of any specific ethnicity.

With that in mind, I eventually decided to use the star symbol that the army uses. It is supposed to have a metalic rendered feel

to look like a medal or crest.

I wondered what people though?

Soldiers3.png

Soldiers almost always means military/army. I think there's still some non-weapon-related imagery you could use.

Right now, because of the color scheme, this looks more like a police badge. Which would probably give you more unintended ethnic connotations than anything.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Fraser, I'm one of your biggest fans, but honestly, I would not have made a military connection to this had the wordmark not been there. Partially it feels like it's the color scheme (did the team make that call?), and the other thing is I don't necessarily associate a General's star to Soldiers.

Personally, maybe you could play off a Chevron patch, maybe with a basketball where the specialty is?

72157-big-1.jpg

i love the idea. i think that having something simple to add to the star could make it look complete. maybe a shield. i drew this up in 5 mins just to show you what i mean....

foj8vfqi.pngfoj8vfqi2.png

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Fraser, I'm one of your biggest fans, but honestly, I would not have made a military connection to this had the wordmark not been there. Partially it feels like it's the color scheme (did the team make that call?), and the other thing is I don't necessarily associate a General's star to Soldiers.

Personally, maybe you could play off a Chevron patch, maybe with a basketball where the specialty is?

72157-big-1.jpg

I like that idea. What do you reckon?

Soldiers4.png

I think you're fine. A logo is nothing more than an identifier, so I'm really not worried about the first thing I think of when I see the logo. I would look at using the chevrons, but I think your star is good to go if it doesn't work out with the chevrons.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Love the concept, and great execution on the rendering. The metallic bevel really looks perfect. I do think another visual link to "soldiers"--such as a chevron--would really help make this even better, if you can do it without totally throwing off the scale.

Edit: You beat me to it. While I like the concept of the chevron better, I think the original star logo (especially the wordmark) was much stronger visually. The subtle interactions between the ball and the star were gorgeous.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Why not keep the beveled star, but turn it into a medal?

320.jpg

usamedals.JPG

It would let you give a bit more reference to the military theme, help explain where the star comes from, and keep a better shape than the overly elongated chevron logo.

Also, I'd definitely keep the original wordmark. And I think the bottom right needs a notch removed like the bottom left. (I know it shouldn't actually be there, but it would really help keep things balanced.)

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Why not keep the beveled star, but turn it into a medal?

320.jpg

usamedals.JPG

It would let you give a bit more reference to the military theme, help explain where the star comes from, and keep a better shape than the overly elongated chevron logo.

Also, I'd definitely keep the original wordmark. And I think the bottom right needs a notch removed like the bottom left. (I know it shouldn't actually be there, but it would really help keep things balanced.)

yeah, thats a possibility.

Soldiers6.png

here are a few versions.

not too keen on the shield behind it, perhaps there is a militaristic feel to the elements behind the second version.

Soldiers5.png

I like the 2nd version here, but maybe the star needs a white outline to make it stand out more.

Archived