2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Billy B

Yes it is. I'm finally getting that Lombardi after this lockout is over with... suck it, Eli! :P

In all seriousness, fans who support and spend money on a team have every right to use the term "we."

If you've ever had McDonald's, will you be excited when their stocks go up?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, for those 11 bids the Big East got, they're down to 2... UConn was expected since they're a top 4 seed in a region. Marquette, on the other hand, was lucky to get in at all and they have used that as the old 'chip on our shoulder' to lead their team past Xavier and Syracuse.

Oh, and VCU has proven that being in the First Four isn't a bad thing (It also helped them that they didn't have the 36 hour turnaround that Clemson had to deal with).

Notre LAME. Big LEAST. Get 'em all out of your system, guys.

FSU hasn't seen a sweet 16 since the 90s, ultimate fail for ND.

And I couldn't be happier for them.

I haven't said much about it this season, but slowly yet surely over the past couple years, and very quietly, Leonard Hamilton has been busy building himself a solid and increasingly stronger program down there in Tallahassee. I'm sure glad they stuck with him all this time; I think all that hard work is beginning to pay off. Now they have a team whose play is as nice to watch as are those sweet uniforms of theirs. ^_^ Now true, they may not make it past VCU (a VERY tough team in its own right--and one I told all the Georgetown fans watching that game Friday night the Hoyas could very easily get steamrolled by), but either way this should be a great sweet sixteen game. VCU's strength is on the boards; the 'Noles, on the perimeter defensively. And both squads are scrappy as hell.

Naturally, Imma be pulling for my 'Noles, but either way, I wouldn't be the least bit disappointed if VCU advances.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

In the last hour, reports have emerged that Bruce Pearl has been fired.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2011/mar/21/bruce-pearl-tennessee-vols-basketball/

I've seen on facebook via WNML The Sports Animal that it was not the decision of much hated AD Mike Hamilton, but of UTK chancellor Jimmy Cheek.

A rally was already planned in support of Pearl for 5:30 here on campus, and this could now easily turn into Kiffin Riot II...

dzh6fs12jk4gddgfd123hlxft.gif

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2011/mar/21/bruce-pearl-tennessee-vols-basketball/

I've seen on facebook via WNML The Sports Animal that it was not the decision of much hated AD Mike Hamilton, but of UTK chancellor Jimmy Cheek.

A rally was already planned in support of Pearl for 5:30 here on campus, and this could now easily turn into Kiffin Riot II...

Really, a rally? Yeah, that's a guy you outta support. Yeesh. I thought that kind of blind allegience was reserved for SEC Footbaw Ol' Bawcoaches.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I shall wear Orange tonight in tribute.

Hopefully the new coach will carry on the tradition

Carry on the tradition of what? Being a sleazeball who plays fast and loose with the rules and lies about it?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Really, a rally? Yeah, that's a guy you outta support. Yeesh. I thought that kind of blind allegience was reserved for SEC Footbaw Ol' Bawcoaches.

If it helps at all, this is mainly only students, and was spread through facebook. This isn't something that's been all over the news and advertised, trying to get the entire Vol Nation to show up.

And when you say "there's a guy you oughta support" keep in mind all of this: (taken from a Knoxville News-Sentinel article the other day)

"It could be because Pearl produced UT's two winningest seasons ever, 31 in 2008 and 28 in 2010.

It could be because of the first outright SEC championship since 1967 and the school's first No. 1 ranking, both in 2008.

It could be the school-record six straight NCAA tournament bids, the longest active streak in the SEC. Eight of UT's 16 all-time NCAA tournament wins came on Pearl's watch.

It could be that Pearl's energy and success got Pratt Pavilion built and Thompson-Boling Arena converted from an aircraft hangar to a terrific environment for basketball.

It could be that UT's home crowds jumped 5,504 per game in Pearl's first year and the Vols have stayed in the top five nationally in attendance ever since.

It could be that the Vols lead the SEC in league wins (65-31) since Pearl arrived, or that his teams are 36-27 in true road games, 31-17 on neutral sites and 26-20 against ranked teams.

It could be the OUTLIVE money he's helped raise to boost cancer screening. Or the Dane Bradshaw Scholarship he endowed.

It could be orange body paint or the orange blazer. Or that he would promise a crowd the Vols were going to whip Memphis' or Florida's (rear end) and then do it."

When the man created the greatest era in a program's history, at a passionate SEC school, (sadly) he'd have to do a lot worse than what he did to not be loved here.

dzh6fs12jk4gddgfd123hlxft.gif

Just a side note that I picked up today. The ACC has more teams in the sweet sixteen (Duke, North Carolina, and Florida State) than the Big East (Connecticut, Marquette).

And the only two teams in there for the Big East is because they'd played Big East teams in the previous round. They were basically set up to have a minimum of 2 teams (unless they had lost the first round) and that's all they got. Only 2 out of 11 teams made it past the real 2nd round.

Just a side note that I picked up today. The ACC has more teams in the sweet sixteen (Duke, North Carolina, and Florida State) than the Big East (Connecticut, Marquette).

And the only two teams in there for the Big East is because they'd played Big East teams in the previous round. They were basically set up to have a minimum of 2 teams (unless they had lost the first round) and that's all they got. Only 2 out of 11 teams made it past the real 2nd round.

And the two teams left finished 9th and 11th respectively.

No, I know. The Big East did not show up this tournament, but during the time of Selection Sunday, all 11 teams in were performing much better than anyone in the bubble (not to mention the Big East was very good in non-conference early in the season). That, and I think we get the point that the Big East has only 2 teams left; it's been stated in about 18 posts since Sunday.

That being said, avatar idea a'hoy!

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Archived