The most improbable final

Swiss

NHL: Blue Jackets vs. Thrashers

MLB: Pirates vs. Royals

NBA: Grizzlies vs. Bobcats

NFL: Lions vs. Texans

MLS, if the crazy playoff format is still around: Toronto FC vs. Philadelphia Union

MLS, if a saner playoff format becomes available: Chivas USA vs. New England Revolution

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLB

-----

Nationals vs. Royals

Pirates vs. Royals

Pirates vs. Mariners

NFL

-----

Cardinals vs. Bills

Lions vs. Bills

Lions vs. Browns

NBA

-----

Clippers vs. (anyone)

NHL

-----

Kings vs. Panthers

Blue Jackets vs. Panthers

Sharks vs. Capitals

NFL

Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Buffalo Bills

NBA

Minnesota Timberwolves vs. Los Angeles Clippers

These would be quite improbable, seeing as how one team would have to switch conferences in order for it to happen.

Yeah, I was constantly editing that post because I just plugged in the 2 worst teams. I immediately realized this mistake and edited it. I was hoping no one would notice and quote it...

25yzwqg.png

From a Tampa perspective, seeing any two Florida teams matched up would be odd. Additionall in hockey, 2 souther based teams would be improbable.

MLB: Rays v. Marlins

NFL: Bucs v. Jaguars/Dolphins

NHL: Lightning v. Dallas/Los Angeles/Anaheim

If I may add one more, Grizzlies/Raptors for the NBA. Not only it'd be improbable, but it'd be former fellow Canadian team vs. Canada's one and only. How interesting would that be?

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Nordiques vs Jets

Seriously, though.... DG's right. It's all cyclical. From 1990 to 1993, neither the Patriots nor the Rams ever had more than 6 wins in a season. But then they met in the Super Bowl in 2002 and between 2000 and 2008 enjoyed 6 appearances and 4 championships between them.

The Bills and Cowboys met twice in the 90s. This year they have 3 wins total. Bengals and 49ers met twice in the 80s. They're not doing much better than the Bills & Cowboys today.

How cyclical is it? The following teams haven't been to a conference championship game in 12 years or more: 49ers, Cowboys, Bills, Chiefs, Dolphins, Redskins and Bengals. Yet, that same group represents 31 Super Bowl appearances and 16 Lombardi trophies, and combine to form 9 Super Bowl match-ups and 12 Conference Championship match-ups.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

coyotes vs thrashers. even then there still won't be more then 10'000 in the building

Loser goes to Winnipeg.

Better yet, the winner goes to Winnipeg. The losing team gets stuck with Jim Balsillie trying to buy them, which of course the league will never allow, so they're stuck in their bad market for the rest of Balsillie's life.

CCSLC signature.png

I'll play this game, even though as stated before things can always change

NFL:

Browns-Cardinals/Eagles (historically speaking)

Bills-Lions

NHL:

Coyotes-Panthers

MLB:

Cubs-Indians (once again historically speaking)

Pirates-Royals

NBA:

Anybody besides the Celtics or Lakers? I keed

Grizzlies-Bobcats

Clippers-Nets

Timberwolves-76ers

Hell, any combo of a lot of these teams I'd say are quite improbable

And for a college twist

BCS National Title Game:

Akron-Florida Atlantic

Any non-AQ team outside of a TCU or Boise being involved I'd say

NCAA Basketball:

NJIT-Whatever 16 seed

NCAA Lacrosse:

Any matchup not involving the ACC, Big East, Ivy League, or Johns Hopkins (trust me on this one being the most improbable)

NCAA College World Series:

Any matchup involving two cold weather climate schools

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Archived