EBA - Elite Basketball Alliance

jaha32

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if this will help or not, but Des Moines does have an NBA-ready arena in Wells Fargo Arena. It has about 16,000 capicty or so. I know it might be a tad small compared to NBA arenas, but I know one thing for sure, Iowa has a strong following for basketball. So whatever team you placed in the state, it'll have a strong following. But if you can't do so for reasons you stated earlier, I completely understand.

And as for the other things...i really like the name Rhythm for Nashville. I would love to see a team in Alaska. The same idea can apply for Iowa. The team becomes the "state's team."

IowaOaks.png

Not a fan of the name options. Sorry.

Yeah, I know these are not your conventional team names but I am in the mood for something unique-sounding or even strange for Nashville. Whenever I think a certain team name idea is too "out-there", I tell myself, the NBA has a team called the Magic and after 20+ years of familiarity, no one thinks twice about that name.

I don't know if this will help or not, but Des Moines does have an NBA-ready arena in Wells Fargo Arena. It has about 16,000 capicty or so. I know it might be a tad small compared to NBA arenas, but I know one thing for sure, Iowa has a strong following for basketball. So whatever team you placed in the state, it'll have a strong following. But if you can't do so for reasons you stated earlier, I completely understand.

And as for the other things...i really like the name Rhythm for Nashville. I would love to see a team in Alaska. The same idea can apply for Iowa. The team becomes the "state's team."

I know about Wells-Fargo Arena and it could make for a nice home arena here like you said. I would choose the name Iowa over Des Moines, not because the fan base would become larger, I would choose Iowa because it sounds more marketable than Des Moines, which sounds strange to my non-French ear.

Rather than just talk about divisional alignment, I figured I'd show you a map of where the division stands and which divisions need teams. There are still a few possibilities for teams to switch divisions depending on where I put the last 4 teams.

-Providence and Nashville are certain. The other two are where my mind is still uncertain.

-If I put any other team out west, it means Las Vegas would move over a division and Omaha would be moved to the division with St Paul and all the Ohio teams, thus eliminating Iowa as a possibility.

-Empire State is now in Buffalo on this map, and they could join the division with the Ohio/St.Paul/Louisville teams if I put a team in Greensboro. However, I think they fit better with DC/Balt/etc.

-Greensboro could join the southeast although its geographical location is about the same as Raleigh (Carolina Flight).

-Suddenly a team in Vancouver called the Kodiaks appeals to me, kind of like the old Grizzlies.

So this is where the league stands and some possible locations.

EBA_MAP.jpg

Looking at things here...you could have a good set of 6 divisions of 6 here, as long as one more Northeast Team was added and Iowa moved to the conference with Omaha and Tulsa.

Pacific Conference

Anaheim Diablos

California Condors

Las Vegas Aces

San Diego Admirals

San Jose Conquistadors

Vancouver Kodiaks (definitely a good name there)

Great Plains Conference

Alberquerque Fire

Austin Outlaws

Iowa

Omaha Stampede

Salt Lake Owls

Tulsa Cyclones

Midwest Conference

Cincinnati Royals

Columbus Federals

Indianapolis (Suggestion: Checkers, as in the Checkered Flag, or Speed)

Lake Erie (Suggestion: Champs or Champions?)

Louisville Racers

St. Paul Stags

Southeast Conference

Arkansas (Suggestion: Miners or Diamonds?)

Birmingham Bees

Georgia (Suggestion: Augusta Deltas?)

Jacksonville Hammerheads

Nashville Rhythm (on assumption as its winning the poll)

Tampa Tropics

Atlantic Conference

Baltimore Barons

Carolina Flight

D.C. Generals

Empire State Monarchs

Greensboro (No suggestion here, sorry)

Virginia Marauders

Metro Conference

Brooklyn Skyhawks

Connecticut Spirit

Long Island Claws

Manhattan Mobsters

Portland Railriders (Personal Suggestion. Railriders as Portland, Maine used to be a Railway hub)

Providence (Suggestion: Diamonds, in honor of their jewelry industry?)

8VvwoNps.png

I'm not sold on the "Champions" moniker. It just strikes me as a silly thing for anyone to name any sort of team. "We may have lost, but we're still the Champions."

Looking at things here...you could have a good set of 6 divisions of 6 here, as long as one more Northeast Team was added and Iowa moved to the conference with Omaha and Tulsa.

Pacific Conference

Anaheim Diablos

California Condors

Las Vegas Aces

San Diego Admirals

San Jose Conquistadors

Vancouver Kodiaks (definitely a good name there)

Great Plains Conference

Alberquerque Fire

Austin Outlaws

Iowa

Omaha Stampede

Salt Lake Owls

Tulsa Cyclones

Midwest Conference

Cincinnati Royals

Columbus Federals

Indianapolis (Suggestion: Checkers, as in the Checkered Flag, or Speed)

Lake Erie (Suggestion: Champs or Champions?)

Louisville Racers

St. Paul Stags

Southeast Conference

Arkansas (Suggestion: Miners or Diamonds?)

Birmingham Bees

Georgia (Suggestion: Augusta Deltas?)

Jacksonville Hammerheads

Nashville Rhythm (on assumption as its winning the poll)

Tampa Tropics

Atlantic Conference

Baltimore Barons

Carolina Flight

D.C. Generals

Empire State Monarchs

Greensboro (No suggestion here, sorry)

Virginia Marauders

Metro Conference

Brooklyn Skyhawks

Connecticut Spirit

Long Island Claws

Manhattan Mobsters

Portland Railriders (Personal Suggestion. Railriders as Portland, Maine used to be a Railway hub)

Providence (Suggestion: Diamonds, in honor of their jewelry industry?)

Something like this with 6 teams in each division could be possible if I am feeling really ambitious here. It would also give me more options as far as making the divisions fit better geographiically, similar to what you have here, but that would mean I need to make 10 more teams, and I am not sure I have that in me. We'll see. Portland, Maine and Augusta, Georgia are too small. There are definitely other mid-sized cities out there to use if I expanded to 30+ teams. Still 30+ is not likely, right away.

It looks like Rhythm is going to win the poll for Nashville. Hopefully I can come up with some logo design for such an abstract name.

Suggestions for unnamed teams:

Vancouver Kodiaks (perfect)

Iowa Reapers (tie-in to agriculture, but with the awesome Grim Reaper imagery)

Indianapolis Torque (Charlotte's NALL runner-up, about time it got used somewhere)

Lake Erie Watersnakes (nonvenomous, but is a predator for most other creatures in the lake)

Arkansas Miners (Diamonds just doesn't sound good for a men's team)

Gwinnett Giants (alliterative, Atlanta suburb county that's growing heavily, plus Arena at Gwinnett Center is ready)

Nashville Beat (write-in suggestion-fits the music theme, but easier to adapt and cheer on "LET'S GO BEAT!")

Greensboro Groove (alliterative, easy to remember)

Portland Phoenix (on the city seal, motto is "Resurgam (I Will Rise Again)," identity writes itself)

Providence Gems (now THAT actually sounds like something that could work for a team, tying in to jewelry theme)

bYhYmxh.png

Rather than just talk about divisional alignment, I figured I'd show you a map of where the division stands and which divisions need teams. There are still a few possibilities for teams to switch divisions depending on where I put the last 4 teams.

-Providence and Nashville are certain. The other two are where my mind is still uncertain.

-If I put any other team out west, it means Las Vegas would move over a division and Omaha would be moved to the division with St Paul and all the Ohio teams, thus eliminating Iowa as a possibility.

-Empire State is now in Buffalo on this map, and they could join the division with the Ohio/St.Paul/Louisville teams if I put a team in Greensboro. However, I think they fit better with DC/Balt/etc.

-Greensboro could join the southeast although its geographical location is about the same as Raleigh (Carolina Flight).

-Suddenly a team in Vancouver called the Kodiaks appeals to me, kind of like the old Grizzlies.

EBA_MAP.jpg

You can put Iowa in the "Great Lakes" division with St. Paul and Cincnanti. Arkansas/Nashville in the southeast. Providence in the "Metro" divison. I think that'll work out great.

IowaOaks.png

EBA_MAP.jpg

you need some north west teams. Seattle? Maybe you could call them the rainmen or something like that.

Jersey strong, Brooklyn ready.

EBA_MAP.jpg

is "great lakes" based in toledo? if so, i like the one post of naming them the watersnakes. you can't go in the lake without those things swarming you.

btw, i've been enjoying this thread, you do some great work.

Pittsburgh should get a team you could move Indianapolis there ^_^ , can wait to see Nashville logo

Sorry, Pittsburgh wont get a team. Somewhere in the middle of this thread I stated the criteria for cities Im choosing, (in no way would I expect anyone to read this whole thing though) and Pittsburgh is already well-represented among the 4 majors sports leagues.

The Nasvhille logo hasnt even been started so it might be a while before I get it posted.

you need some north west teams. Seattle? Maybe you could call them the rainmen or something like that.

Im totally okay if there northwest is left out of this thing. Seattle and Portland are the only two major US cities between the Dakotas and the Pacific. Boise is the next closest thing. It's just the reality of the distribution of the US population. Vancouver, although Canadian, could fill some of the void in this area.

Suggestions for unnamed teams:

Vancouver Kodiaks (perfect)

Iowa Reapers (tie-in to agriculture, but with the awesome Grim Reaper imagery)

Indianapolis Torque (Charlotte's NALL runner-up, about time it got used somewhere)

Lake Erie Watersnakes (nonvenomous, but is a predator for most other creatures in the lake)

Arkansas Miners (Diamonds just doesn't sound good for a men's team)

Gwinnett Giants (alliterative, Atlanta suburb county that's growing heavily, plus Arena at Gwinnett Center is ready)

Nashville Beat (write-in suggestion-fits the music theme, but easier to adapt and cheer on "LET'S GO BEAT!")

Greensboro Groove (alliterative, easy to remember)

Portland Phoenix (on the city seal, motto is "Resurgam (I Will Rise Again)," identity writes itself)

Providence Gems (now THAT actually sounds like something that could work for a team, tying in to jewelry theme)

If I were to put a team in Gwinnet, they would be called "Georgia". Providence Gems does have a nice ring to it. I will consider that name.

You can put Iowa in the "Great Lakes" division with St. Paul and Cincnanti. Arkansas/Nashville in the southeast. Providence in the "Metro" divison. I think that'll work out great.

That's the plan (if those cities get teams).

is "great lakes" based in toledo? if so, i like the one post of naming them the watersnakes. you can't go in the lake without those things swarming you.

btw, i've been enjoying this thread, you do some great work.

Lake Erie would have to be in Cleveland. Toledo doesnt have an arena suitable. It's too small. But Im thinking this Lake Erie team probably wont happen after all since other locations make more sense after looking at the map.

^^^^Agree Tacoma Olympic. Puget Sound Orcas (Seattle)

I like the name Seattle Sounders, but unfortunately its taken. Damn MLS.

---------

Thanks for all the comments and ideas! Right now the only logo idea in my head is for that Kodiaks team, so we'll see which team is the next posted. It's just much easier to think of ideas for animal logos, but the challenge of making logos for teams such as "Spirit" or "Rhythm" can be fun/frustrating. ha.

For now, rather than rush into the next logo and team, I am going to just design the next few logos as the ideas come to me. I don't want force an idea when I dont have one, and end up producing some low quality logo. I'd rather take my time and get the last few teams right. Then in a month or so, once I have a few more teams completed, I can post them here and finish out this league right. So I'll be back in a month or so...

"Gunners" could certainly work for Greensboro, as could anything Revolutionary War-related. ("Generals" would have been great, but alas...) Another potential direction to consider is the whole "Gate City" angle. Something involving railroads/trains.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Archived