Universities Tell High Schools Logos Are Off Limits

roxfan00

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aren't there like 10 other threads about this issue?

Yes, and there's like 10 other threads where at least one complete idiot chimes in with something like "big bullies! They're just kids! Let them use the logo!! So what if it's stealing????"

If I was the principal of one of these high schools, I'd change the logo...but at a price. That price being a student embargo (no graduate of our high school will be allowed to attend the complaining college under penalty of loss of diploma).

So when you get hit by a brain drain and you're on the NCLB "Your school just sucks dude" list, is that still a good idea?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yes, and there's like 10 other threads where at least one complete idiot chimes in with something like "big bullies! They're just kids! Let them use the logo!! So what if it's stealing????"

I'm sure you're on all ten saying something inane as usual.

p4Ut2be.png

I'm sure you're on all ten saying something inane as usual.

And there's our blackface wearing idiot!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Me and my co-workers are in a bit of a quandry. I posted stuff about this before about the HS where we work. Being a loyal employee, it's cool to see these logos (and to respect the place that pays us), but on the other hand, this school uses the Mizzou Tiger, the Cincy Bengal Tiger, the Clemson paw and the Minnesota (Gopher) M and we feel we should do something about it as logo lovers and as people who see someone's work being "borrowed" (AKA stolen). Should we proceed? Is there a way to let the owners know without jeopardizing our jobs? As much as I think the guy who drew the Gopher M needs respect, he's not paying my mortgage if I blow the whistle.

KISSwall09.jpg

I just wonder when talking about the SMU Mustang logo and the Calagary Stampeder logo, it makes me think about the Ford Mustang logo and who trademarked their logo first and has rights to it. If you look at the Ford Mustang logo, you can see similarities between it and the SMU and Calgary logo. I'm just throwing it out there and couldn't find anything on either logo and trademark dates.

If I was the principal of one of these high schools, I'd change the logo...but at a price. That price being a student embargo (no graduate of our high school will be allowed to attend the complaining college under penalty of loss of diploma).

That's one of the dumbest things I've read. The fact that you think a kid (that completely earned his diploma) should lose it because he decides to go to college at a school that had their property stolen is flat out ridiculous.

Looks like there are plenty of schools in this area that could be getting phone calls, in that case. These are all just from my county and the few surrounding it:

willard.pngwesternReserveCollins.pngnewLondon.pngsanduskyPerkins.pnggenoa03.pnggibsonburg.pngbowlingGreen09.png

Which leads me to ask... are designs like the Chargers' lightning bolt and Michigan's winged helmet also copyrighted? I see a ton of schools using them.

teamlogossig.png

There comes a point when you don't stand for the constant heartbreak anymore, and walk away.

To take this in a different path...how many ways can a Gator, Mustang, Bear or Hawk be designed before they are infringing on each other?

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Which leads me to ask... are designs like the Chargers' lightning bolt and Michigan's winged helmet also copyrighted? I see a ton of schools using them.

My instincts would say no on this one since it's based on a generic leather helmet pattern that, in its day, was as common as the Northwestern stripes or the Broncos template is now. Princeton was actually the first school to use it and was imported to Ann Arbor from there by Fielding Yost.

Looks like there are plenty of schools in this area that could be getting phone calls, in that case. These are all just from my county and the few surrounding it:

willard.pngwesternReserveCollins.pngnewLondon.pngsanduskyPerkins.pnggenoa03.pnggibsonburg.pngbowlingGreen09.png

New London Wildcats in Ohio ripping off logo from Florida Panthers logo. I wish they make their own logo not ripping off from NHL team.

94.gif

newLondon.png

A school here in Colorado, who are known as the Gators, I believe were told a few years ago to change their helmet decals because they were the exact same as the University of Florida.

I believe you are talking about Stanley Lake High School in Westminster.

3797_standley%20lake%202.jpg

stanleylake_logo1(green).jpg

And if you look closely at the first logo posted, the SL on the gators sweater is very similar to the St.Louis Cardinals cap logo (minus the t). They still use all the logos on their website.

And I remember someone on the boards saying that the NFL allows high schools to use their logos as long as they don't chang the colors or alter them in any way. Does anyonek now if this is in fact true?

jNTsTyQ.png

And I remember someone on the boards saying that the NFL allows high schools to use their logos as long as they don't chang te colors or alter them in any way. Does anyoneknow if this is in fact true?

No, I think the NFL allows the logos to be recolored. I know a few of my local high schools use recolored logos.

La Costa Canyon's is the Texans' logo recolored: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_p_zvG2VbbT8/SpniKuJ-BVI/AAAAAAAAHGM/-ALU4bQKYvU/s400/LCC+logo+big.jpg

Carlsbad's is the Bears': http://powayusd.sdcoe.k12.ca.us/pusdwvhs/athletics/football/images/Helmet/Carlsbad.png

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The simplest idea might be for a high school to not use any logo at all. Any new logo, after all, can be argued quite effectively and easily to be a ripoff of an established logo.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived