Qatar 2022: Too bold?

CS85

I'm not an architect at all, but seeing some of these designs, would anyone think that these stadiums hold any practical use, much less be built at all?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'll be 2022. I'm scared what Architecture will look like.

I have a feeling we won't be living in pods and travel to our jobs in a complex tube system.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

That last one is awesome, especially if they actually broadcast the games on the screen. The first two are sorta neat, but somewhat impractical, the third is gaudy, and the fourth is just ridiculous.

If they broadcast the games on the screen, what's the point of going into the stadium? :rolleyes:

I don't know how practical the designs are, but they're certainly interesting. Where's Mings, our resident architect, to chime in on this?

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

That last one is awesome, especially if they actually broadcast the games on the screen. The first two are sorta neat, but somewhat impractical, the third is gaudy, and the fourth is just ridiculous.

If they broadcast the games on the screen, what's the point of going into the stadium? :rolleyes:

I don't know how practical the designs are, but they're certainly interesting. Where's Mings, our resident architect, to chime in on this?

The point of going into the stadium would be to get outta the 120 degree heat. :P

Still though, I'm still shaking my head as to why anyone thinks a World Cup in a violence-prone area that's not even 4x the size of Rhode island with only 1.5 million people living there, with 120 degree heat is a good idea.

6fQjS3M.png

They've got the money, so they will build the stadiums. The question is, who wants to go to Qatar for this World Cup given the heat and location.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

:censored: FIFA. They stole what belonged to us thanks to oil money bribes.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

It's really not much different than going to any other televised sporting event.

spacer.png

The point of going into the stadium would be to get outta the 120 degree heat. :P

Still though, I'm still shaking my head as to why anyone thinks a World Cup in a violence-prone area that's not even 4x the size of Rhode island with only 1.5 million people living there, with 120 degree heat is a good idea.

It's an open-air stadium. Will it make THAT much of a difference? Drop money on a ticket and sit inside or watch for free outside. Hmm...tough choice. :rolleyes:

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

I have been to Qatar and that is one beautiful place. It doesn't surprise me with the stadium proposals. Places like Qatar and Dubai have boatloads of money to spend and they love trying outside-the-box designs like this.

Yeah it will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I don't think people in any country are all that happy becuase no one wants to travel there. I'm not worried about them building the staduims. ANyone who watches f1 knows that the middle east can build awesome sporting venues.but whats the political turmoil going to be like in 12 years?

t.jpg

Part owner in the Green Bay Packers

I have been to Qatar and that is one beautiful place. It doesn't surprise me with the stadium proposals. Places like Qatar and Dubai have boatloads of money to spend and they love trying outside-the-box designs like this.

This.

I got to see a lot of the island during my tour of duty there. That said, yeah the heat can definitely be a b***h, but early May, mid-June, it's really no different than a summertime out in Arizona--it's a dry heat. It's the tail end of June into July and August when the heat really begins to cook you. And you won't have to worry about rain--from about mid-May until roughly mid-October, not a single drop falls on that place. Aside from that, I don't for one second question the Qatari people's ability to build such facilities. Google some images of Doha and you'll see what I mean.

And for those of you questioning its worth as a "tourist destination"...bear in mind that's a designated R&R locale for deployed troops, so there you go. Also doesn't hurt that the place happens to have one of, if not currently the highest GDPs in the world. All that for a little place roughly the size of Connecticut--not bad huh? ^_^

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

It's an open-air stadium. Will it make THAT much of a difference? Drop money on a ticket and sit inside or watch for free outside. Hmm...tough choice. :rolleyes:

But.. but.. they're air conditioned stadiums! :P

6fQjS3M.png

Really? The murder rate is far higher in America than it is in Qatar, not to mention how much higher it is in South Africa... where it was just held.

Not sure how the size or population of the country matters, either. Otherwise the World Cup would always take place in China or Russia.

And they play soccer in hot countries, too. I'm sure that there were players in South Africa who were complaining that it was too cold there.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Archived