Portland Timbers Jersey Leaked

dabest13

I love the details on the border of the two tone (the chevrons on the green, and the thorn pattern on the red).

I'm not totally sold on the two tone, however.

And of course, the addidas template is horrific.

Speaking of "Addidas"...

ADDIDAS.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, but the "that's the way it is" argument doesn't hold water. That's why businesses fail all the time. That's how baseball eclipsed football in terms of popularity.

Woefully ignorant? Bet I've been to more countries and seen more sporting events in more countries than you have and by a wide margin. I don't suspect that if the NBA or the NHL put teams in Europe that those teams would suddenly look like billboards.

Sorry, totally forgot about the adidas contract. However if say Anschutz wanted another manufacturer in the mix, I'm sure the MLS and adidas would find a way to accommodate him, don't you think?

Speaking of Anschutz, who has more money - Jones or Anschutz? My money is on Anschutz, and by a wide margin. Jones has his money because he took chances and was innovative, not as you suggest.

As for the change up uniform, yes uniform, if you represent a city, then you should wear a patch, a crest, whatever, on all uniforms. Same with anniversary patches, etc. Should the original eight AFL teams worn their 50th anniversary patches only on their legacy uniforms? You have a color (ooppps sorry, colour) scheme, wear it - home and away. Third jerseys are based on a team's colors, no? The Broncos have an orange jersey, right? Carolina has a Carolina blue jersey right? Carolina doesn't have a brown and gold uniform, do they?

I disagree. There's a long standing tradition in soccer when it comes to using a clash kit that's a completely different colour scheme then the primary kit. The Timbers used this tradition to introduce a uniform that plays up the civic identity to go along with the team-centric design of the primary kit. It's brilliantly balanced.

This is a different country in a different time period. Start a new tradition. Have a green jersey. Have a white jersey. Have a gold jersey. Use red/rose as a third color.

Brilliantly balanced? Brilliantly dumb.

As an aside, I think there are way too many white soccer kits in MLS. Off the top of my head, Red Bull NY, LA Galaxy, RSL, Chicago, DC Utd, Houston, New England, and San Jose all have white kits.

Home: colored jersey

Away: white jersey

There. that was simple.

Sorry, but the "that's the way it is" argument doesn't hold water. That's why businesses fail all the time. That's how baseball eclipsed football in terms of popularity.

Woefully ignorant? Bet I've been to more countries and seen more sporting events in more countries than you have and by a wide margin. I don't suspect that if the NBA or the NHL put teams in Europe that those teams would suddenly look like billboards.

So you're exactly proving what everyone else is saying. You're making the point that if the NBA or NHL put teams in Europe, they wouldn't have sponsorship since top-flight basketball and hockey teams don't have it. Which means you're also making the point that American soccer clubs should because top-flight soccer has sponsorship on their kits.

6fQjS3M.png

Sorry, totally forgot about the adidas contract. However if say Anschutz wanted another manufacturer in the mix, I'm sure the MLS and adidas would find a way to accommodate him, don't you think?

Speaking of Anschutz, who has more money - Jones or Anschutz? My money is on Anschutz, and by a wide margin. Jones has his money because he took chances and was innovative, not as you suggest.

As for the change up uniform, yes uniform, if you represent a city, then you should wear a patch, a crest, whatever, on all uniforms. Same with anniversary patches, etc. Should the original eight AFL teams worn their 50th anniversary patches only on their legacy uniforms? You have a color (ooppps sorry, colour) scheme, wear it - home and away. Third jerseys are based on a team's colors, no? The Broncos have an orange jersey, right? Carolina has a Carolina blue jersey right? Carolina doesn't have a brown and gold uniform, do they?

I disagree. There's a long standing tradition in soccer when it comes to using a clash kit that's a completely different colour scheme then the primary kit. The Timbers used this tradition to introduce a uniform that plays up the civic identity to go along with the team-centric design of the primary kit. It's brilliantly balanced.

This is a different country in a different time period. Start a new tradition. Have a green jersey. Have a white jersey. Have a gold jersey. Use red/rose as a third color.

Brilliantly balanced? Brilliantly dumb.

Really? Ripping on the way Canada spell a word? Classy.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

He's not ripping in Canada, he's ripping on England.

Why can't they learn to speak proper English? :wacko:

I just assumed because Icecap is Canadian.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

No, he's (presumably) trying to make the case that people who dont have the same opinions as he does are somehow infected with a European fetish or some such nonsense.

I hope he enjoys his Freedom Fries.

Well, he's right and people who understand soccer culture are wrong of course.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that one of things that MLS did in it's first few years and was changed to to the fact that stupid rules like that and not allowing ties were making MLS the laughing stock of soccer?

White flag.

I surrender.

Enjoy your running billboards, winter season, relegation and all other traditional things. Maybe good ol' Sepp can prevent the NBA and NFL strikes by bullying his way with those leagues as well.

I'll stick to Arena Football.

668048780_69c2bece13.jpg

Any time you want to quit digging, we'll gladly take the shovel out of your hands for you.

NASL Fun Fact: Refs were instructed to call phantom fouls during televised games to allow for commercial breaks. Improving The Game!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

No, he's (presumably) trying to make the case that people who dont have the same opinions as he does are somehow infected with a European fetish or some such nonsense.

We still have the monarchy up here. I bet he hates that. DAMN EUROTRASH GOVERNMENT!

The sleeves are just awful. I'm not crazy on the two-tone thing, but the sleeves just turn it into a hot mess. Also the "No" in the "No Pity PDX" patch is a little hard to see at first, so it looked like they had "Pity PDX" on their shirt.

Enough.

I wasn't ripping Canadians, or the English . . .or whomever.

Again, for the millionth time, I simply don't agree with the way the MLS does things. I don't like it. I don't have to. You want to link the MLS with the "traditional way" of football, fine. You'll watch MLS games, I won't. I grew up watching the NFL innovate - NFL Properties, NFL Films, Merv Corning, Ed Sabol etc. I saw the other sports fall into place behind the NFL. I'm sorry, I don't see the MLS as innovative. I don't see how things like a single table, winter season with a break in the middle of the schedule, a balanced schedule and European names help sell the league. I simply think its wrong. We will find out who is right and who is wrong in the future.

We still have the monarchy up here. I bet he hates that. DAMN EUROTRASH GOVERNMENT!

No. Not at all.

Any time you want to quit digging, we'll gladly take the shovel out of your hands for you.

Appreciate it.

NASL Fun Fact: Refs were instructed to call phantom fouls during televised games to allow for commercial breaks. Improving The Game!

Real Salt Lake - improving the game!

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that one of things that MLS did in it's first few years and was changed to to the fact that stupid rules like that and not allowing ties were making MLS the laughing stock of soccer?

Laughingstock of soccer? If I was the league I wouldn't worry about what others were saying. I'd put my money on improving the players and marketing the game. Maybe its just me, but isn't the MLS a business?

Thanks but I don't eat fried foods any more.

I grew up watching the NFL innovate - NFL Properties, NFL Films, Merv Corning, Ed Sabol etc. I saw the other sports fall into place behind the NFL. I'm sorry, I don't see the MLS as innovative. I don't see how things like a single table, winter season with a break in the middle of the schedule, a balanced schedule and European names help sell the league.

I'm sorry, I'm finding your posts are making less and less sense.

MLS isn't "innovative" because it plays a winter scheudule and lacks relegation? Once again, you're disproving your own point - in soccer terms, MLS is very

innovative, by adopting its own competitive model for the league. It just too them some time to figure out which innovations are good and which were stupid. Innovations like the clock counting down to zero are bad, because fans of the sport couldn't take the league seriously.

Besides, the "innovations" you mention are not about the on-field product. They're about marketing. And the MLS marketing is getting more lucrative every day. Proof is in the pudding - they wouldn't keep doing what they're doing if it wasn't making them more money. It's not about feeding their egos, after all. They're not the NHL. ;)

Laughingstock of soccer? If I was the league I wouldn't worry about what others were saying. I'd put my money on improving the players and marketing the game. Maybe its just me, but isn't the MLS a business?

Yes, it is.

And MLS learned that alienating fans with silly "innovations" like a clock counting down is bad for business.

You know what's good for business? Appealing to people who already like the game. Things you hate - traditional football names in some markets, shirt sponsorship, rules mirroring those in established leagues - that's good or business.

As a lifelong American sports fan, the way soccer teams have seemingly randomly colored road jerseys has bothered me since I started following the sport several years ago. I've gotten used to it, but I still don't like it. I know it's the way it is, but I still don't care for it. I especially don't like the way teams have started recoloring their logos for these jerseys either (the Sounders' electric yellow, Liverpool's white and black jerseys this season, etc.). However, if you're going to go with a color that doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the team's identity, this is definitely the way to do it.

Archived