Portland Timbers Jersey Leaked

dabest13

As a lifelong American sports fan, the way soccer teams have seemingly randomly colored road jerseys has bothered me since I started following the sport several years ago. I've gotten used to it, but I still don't like it. I know it's the way it is, but I still don't care for it. I especially don't like the way teams have started recoloring their logos for these jerseys either (the Sounders' electric yellow, Liverpool's white and black jerseys this season, etc.). However, if you're going to go with a color that doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the team's identity, this is definitely the way to do it.

You don't like it and you don't have to, but you understand it.

That's what it's all about man.

Look, (getting back to the point of the thread) I don't really like these Portland kits. I think they've tried to do the two tone jersey but the thing is that the 2 tones are too similar, going yellow/green and red/maroonish-red would have been awesome. But I get what they are going for. I get why they have a red clash, and I accept that in 2 more years this look will be gone. It's how things go in the soccer world.

Personally, I love having the primary kit that tends to only have minor changes in it and then a clash that lets teams try different things out. I don't like 3rd kits. It's just unnecessary. When you are going to wear 1 of the kits for all home and the majority of road games.

I also agree with you on the re-colouring of logos. I say "just leave it" it might clash a little with the clash kit (yeah, I know how weird that sounds) but who cares? The primary logo/badge is so important in soccer, you wear it over your heart and you sing, scream and, chant for the boys with that logo on.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gothamite:

I was trying to point out that while the very corrupt Mr. Blatter is whining that the MLS should do things like a balanced schedule, winter schedule and relegation will ultimately kill the sport here. Further, I was pointing out that the NFL was innovative the way they packaged the pure brutality of the game via Properties and Films. They created the framework for arguably one of the most valuable entertainment properties in the world. Further, owners like Jerry Jones have been both innovative and aggressive in pushing for changes that makes the league more valuable than any other in the world. The MLS "innovation" - doing things to fall into place with the rest of the world isn't innovate at all. Its kissing the king's ring.

Granted, hokey tricks like a shot clock don't work. Granted it turns off traditional fans. If you are an owner of a business with an established clientele and want to expand the reach of your business, who do you reach out to though - your regular customers or new customers? The NFL was incredibly successful in taking football and making it mainstream. Can the MLS do the same? In my opinion, there isn't a chance if they stay on this path.

Yes, the MLS was successful in certain ways - getting stadia built for example. It was a good investment for the community and the team in every city. And yes, as in every sport, certain franchise values are rising and some are falling. Some of their marketing tactics have worked, some have not.

In my opinion, the MLS has failed to grasp certain cultural things. We all know this but New York, Philadelphia, Boston and Baltimore all grew up together. So did Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis and Detroit. Talk rivalries in any sport and most are geographically based. The Yankees-Red Sox. Bears-Packers. Celtics-Sixers, Rangers-Flyers, Black Hawks-Red Wings, Cubs-Cardinals, Dodgers-Giants, Raiders-Chargers - all geographically based. Redskins-Cowboys - because of the same division. There are few coast to coast rivalries I can think of - Celtics-Lakers and perhaps Steelers-Raiders. The point is, I want to see a rivalry between Red Bull(s) and Union. I think playing Real Salt Lake the same amount of times as the Union is just plain wrong.

Soccer evolved in this country as a summer activity. Moving "traditional" seasons just doesn't work. Football in the spring doesn't work. Football in the dead of winter doesn't work. Ask the USFL, XFL and WLAF. The MLS season is way too long. Playing a championship game outdoor at night in Toronto in late November and going up against a key NFL game is sheer folly. Have you read what the ratings were? Microscopic.

So tell me how to grow the sport.

I LOVE the clash kit, and I like the idea of the primary kit, but I think the colors are just too similar... Perhaps a white/forest or yellow/forest would have really made the two tone pop. The Clash is just well executed down to the minute details.

MLS continues to add new franchises. Seems like they're doing just fine.

And so did the NASL and so did the NHL . . . .

The NHL moved teams to cities where hockey has no business. I love the Coyotes but hockey belongs to Northern cities and Canada. I would trade them for a MLS team in a heartbeat.

The MLS has been adding franchises in cities with soccer history and strong support from fans groups and communities (i.e. Seattle, Philadelphia, Portland, Vancouver).

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Exactly.

MLS has never been stronger. The addition of Seatlle, Portland and Vancouver is inspired, and would never have happened in any other league. The league is on the way up, and started the moment they decided to stop ignoring the rest of the globe.

What's the point of whinging about Sepp? He doesn't run the league. You're moving the goalposts - when we catch you in dodgy logic you introduce another tangent.

Perfect? Far from it. But much, much better at this moment than the sport has ever been in the U.S. And I was a huge NASL fan.

So tell me how to grow the sport.

You know, in all of your rants, you've never said what you would actually do with MLS. You've only complained that you don't like anything about MLS.

Answer it yourself, then, before you challenge everyone else.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

In my opinion, the MLS has failed to grasp certain cultural things. We all know this but New York, Philadelphia, Boston and Baltimore all grew up together. So did Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis and Detroit. Talk rivalries in any sport and most are geographically based. The Yankees-Red Sox. Bears-Packers. Celtics-Sixers, Rangers-Flyers, Black Hawks-Red Wings, Cubs-Cardinals, Dodgers-Giants, Raiders-Chargers - all geographically based. Redskins-Cowboys - because of the same division. There are few coast to coast rivalries I can think of - Celtics-Lakers and perhaps Steelers-Raiders. The point is, I want to see a rivalry between Red Bull(s) and Union. I think playing Real Salt Lake the same amount of times as the Union is just plain wrong.

Montreal and Toronto, a rivalry that has lost all meaning in hockey has become insane in soccer, after 2009's huge win for TFC to capture the Canadian Championship.

Seattle-Portland-Vancouver. These 3 teams all have histories dating back to the NASL, they all have extremely passionate supporters. These teams have one of the most unique and intense rivalries.

NYRB and Galaxy, granted it's a little less of an intense rivalry and more of a fabricated one due to the DPs. But it's an emerging rivalry none the less.

Galaxy and Chivas, same stadium, same city, one club represents the Mexican Guadalajara side, one side represents the Americans.

Don't forget DC United and Fire, the 2 teams that were strong for most of the first 10 years.

Colorado and Real Salt Lake. FC Dallas and Dynamo.....there are tons of rivalries in MLS.

They play a balanced schedule and that's to keep the opportunity to make the post season equal. Plain and simple. I like it. I'm so sick of seeing Boston and Buffalo here in the NHL, they are killing rivalries this way. As far as I'm concerned the whole Leafs -vs- Sens thing isn't even a rivalry anymore.

I know you've mention the whole "winter schedule" thing too. Don't be fooled, Don Garber only said that to help out the USA's bid for the world cup. MLS won't be able to play in the winter. I wish they would so that the international dates would line up properly and we wouldn't see half of TFC leave to play a friendly game, but that's how it has to go.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

MLS continues to add new franchises. Seems like they're doing just fine.

And so did the NASL and so did the NHL . . . .

The NHL moved teams to cities where hockey has no business. I love the Coyotes but hockey belongs to Northern cities and Canada. I would trade them for a MLS team in a heartbeat.

The MLS has been adding franchises in cities with soccer history and strong support from fans groups and communities (i.e. Seattle, Philadelphia, Portland, Vancouver).

Yeah, these are not exactly bringing a sport to areas with little professional history or support for the teams. The MLS is sort of doing expansion by promotion with Seattle, Portland, Van, and Montreal.

The Whitecaps have sold almost 16000 seasons tickets already. They were planning on capping them at 16500.

Can we get off the topic of bbqing me?

I'm done with this topic.

I'd tell you what I would do as an owner, but I'd just get smacked around for it.

I'm glad you think that the MLS has never been stronger. Good. I see some franchises, namely Dallas and Colorado, are hurting.

You'll watch the MLS, I won't.

Enjoy.

Back to the jerseys - can any Oregonians help us out with the reaction?

From what I've heard, it's largely positive, at least when compared to the logo unveiling. I know adidas and the front office made a point to take input from portions of the fanbase, the Timbers Army in particular, when designing it. Those that saw early designs several months ago said the final product didn't change much.

But damn, do I hate putting the American flag on there. Crass, inappropriate and classless.

How is it inappropriate?

I'm not sure I would have used Gothamite's words, but I do think it's completely unnecessary. It's not a national team; it's a club.

It's a direct violation of the US Flag Code.

§176(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform.

I know that the Flag Code is not law, but still. Making a flag a permanent part of a uniform is simply inappropriate. There are other ways of getting the point across that are appropriate for a sports uniform:

4416550237_a11e61cc3a_o.jpg

I'm not opposed to the use of patriotic imagery, only the use of a flag.

But damn, do I hate putting the American flag on there. Crass, inappropriate and classless.

How is it inappropriate?

I've always disliked it.

It violates the flag code.

While the flag code is only advisory, it does establish a standard of respect that should be followed.

Section 8(j) states "No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart."

National teams can use the flag on an athletic uniform because they represent the nation. It should never be used on any other uniform.

Based on what you posted, I'm not sure if you can say it is violation. The first part about it not being used as an athletic uniform I interpret as meaning one shouldn't cut up the flag to make the uniform itself. Well in this case it isn't that, it is a patch that is allowed in certain situations.

Now for the second part what exactly encompasses a "patriotic organization." That is a vague and broad term. I would say that would include any group representing the USA. A soccer team that takes part in international competitions falls into that category in my view. Obviously this part to me is a tougher argument.

I don't like to see the US flag on sports uniforms. Sport uniforms are intended to get soiled and worn in conditions that a flag shouldn't be treated. I don't even like to see a flag on the back of a football helmet. The US flag and any flag/banner is intended to wave freely in the wind, not attached for decorative purposes.

I understand the desire to show patriotic respect, but I think there are better ways. As far as I know there aren't the same restrictions for the US seal, so part or all of it could be used. I would rather see (if it is absolutely necessary) a made up design using random symbols important to the US, or any other nations for their teams, that could be used for the respected sports teams. Also, I do not feel that just because it is a national team that it justifies disgracing(IMO) the US of any other national flag in a manner of improper use.

As far as a patriotic organization, my understanding is the BSA, VFW, or other similar types of groups that embrace and encourage national pride is what would be considered.

This is just how I feel and since I saw that this was brought up I wanted to express my views. I have felt really strong about this for a long time and would love to see what others think about what I feel, and what has been already posted. I feel very strongly about the US flag, but also feel that the same respect should be given to any other national flag.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Archived