New Marlins Uniforms?

xTr1pleXx

You have no idea what kind of market research they did, and it's already been discussed why relying on season-ticket holders wouldn't have been the right way to go here.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fishheatcats, you make it sound like its a chore to be a Marlins fan. I dont agree with everything that happens but dang. I'm mighty damn proud to be a Marlins fan with our brand new stadium and home run display thats ours and not shared with a football team. Never mind the fact that we don't have to root on a relocated marlins team, even if that meant bringing the team into my home state of NC.

To each their own, you have the right to feel the way you do, but as a fan as well, I'm on the otherwise of the spectrum.

Hey, as a fan since day one, and a kid who saw his first ballgame in 1993 at Joe Robbie Stadium, I'm also damn proud to be a FLORIDA Marlins fan. And as such I have the right to bitch and be pissed off when my team is mangled beyond recognition with a TERRIBLE logo and TERRIBLE color scheme. They might as well have moved to Portland or San Antonio or North Carolina because I don't recognize my beloved team anymore. I would not have continued rooting for them if they moved to another market, and I'm not supporting them now either. It literally made me sick to my stomach to think about the team moving away when team officials were talking with other cities about relocation. Now they've pretty much done a relocation without relocating, so rather than try to forget about how some jackass from NYC came in and ruined my team, I have to see and hear about it every summer. I feel disrespected and betrayed.

They may go on to win more championships, they may have great crowds at every game, and may even eventually convince those crowds to wear that stupid logo, but they're gonna do it without me. I have my principles as a fan, consumer, and artist, and I don't care if they sign Pujols, Fielder, Halladay, bring back Babe Ruth from the dead, and win every World Series, they are not getting my support or my money. They are making a mockery of the game and South Florida and don't deserve anyone's support. Before, I was proud to call myself a Marlins fan. I'd have to explain low attendance and live with firesales and all that crap, but I could wear my Marlins cap with pride. Now, there is no dignity at all left in being a Marlins fan. So I'm not. Much in the same way my only joy from the Dolphins comes from seeing undefeated teams lose, relegating me to being a fan of the 1972 Dolphins which I only know from news clippings and NFL Films, I'm forever a FLORIDA Marlins fan. Left with nothing but memories of better times and hoping no expansion team comes in and wins 2 Series in less than 11 years.

We waited all those years for a true baseball park and we get stuck with this crap. Sorry, but I'm a strong believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I wrote letters to Samson years ago complaining about all the giveaways at the games being orange, begging them not to add it to the teal/black scheme. I've been up and down the east coast to see this team play, from Tropicana Field to the last game ever played at Shea Stadium. I've come home from the stadium soaking wet at 1:30 AM more nights that I can count, after losing most of the time. I'm done. I'm tired of having my heart ripped out. We win it all in 97. The team is dismantled. Win it again in 2003, dismantled again. And the last straw, we finally get the new ballpark but we get one of the most unnecessary and terrible rebrands of all time.

And the horrid new logo and colors are not the whole story, a big part of my anger is that the change was made because of the personal tastes of one man. No market research, no fan surveys, no asking season ticket holders. Nope, one man with no taste whatsoever decides he can do whatever he wants. The team is not a painting(surely an ugly one) hanging in his house. No, it's something everyone in South Florida takes ownership of, it's something we all enjoy. They belong to everyone who's ever put on a Marlins cap and that was not given any thought whatsoever. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should nor does it make it right, no matter if you're pissing off hundreds of thousands of fans or just a handful.

Need a tissue dude? We all hate the new design. However, don't you think it's about time that this lookalike game in baseball ended? Teams like the Marlins, White Sox, Rockies, etc. have started looking way too much like each other. Aesthetically speaking, this is a move for the better. It's time to inject some uniqueness and variety back into the national pastime!

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

I'm with admiral - the pastels look a lot better than the primary red, yellow, blue, orange. It's easier on the eyes. The outfield wall probably should have remained royal, but the seats are better.

The old light blue on the walls is the original color. the royal was only up for a short amount of time. the pastel blue IS Dodger Stadium.

I was at Dodger Stadium for the first time in July. Sitting directly behind the plate in the upper deck, I dare you to find me a better view in sports. Absolutely perfect.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

How exactly are the Marlins changing their uniforms making a "mockery" of the game?

Greatly depends on the style and colors.

The way I see it, franchises just can't win.

They go for a unique look, people moan and complain that "it's not traditional, it looks horrible."

So they adopt a look that is similar to many other teams, all your hear is "they're trying to be something they're not, why don't they go for something unique?"

Yes, that's an over exaggeration, but at the same time, I'm glad the Marlins are (at least) going to attempt something different. I'm tired of 90% of MLB franchises looking almost exactly the same. It's astounding to think that virtually every team outside of Oregon could be labeled as a "blue team" or "red team." When the Marlins had teal, they later traded it for black. When the Rockies had purple, they began to wear it less and less. The Blue Jays traded their powder blue roads for more generic looking roads.

I'm not saying the Marlins are going to look great, they may not, but hey, at least this rebranding will try to make them look distinctive.

And the horrid new logo and colors are not the whole story, a big part of my anger is that the change was made because of the personal tastes of one man. No market research, no fan surveys, no asking season ticket holders. Nope, one man with no taste whatsoever decides he can do whatever he wants.

He can do whatever he wants. It's his team, he bought it. He gets to decide what they wear.

Well fish you got another team across the state you can support. Im pretty sure Samson will appreciate not having a bunch of spam mail in his mail box with complaints. I genuinely hate that your so easily swayed on giving up a lifetime passion for a team over uniforms and a homerun feature. That stadium is beautiful and going to be a top fnotch facility for years to come.

When the Rockies had purple, they began to wear it less and less.

I've seen this come up so many times on the boards, besides the purple hat and the black Alt, how could the Rockies add more purple to there set. Also when have the Rockies ever utilized purple any more than they do now. (besides the all purple hat) I realize that the only purple in the black Alt is in the sleeve piping. On the other 4 jerseys they use purple pin stripes on 3 and an all purple jersey. So if you have just seen Rockies highlights of them wearing the black then that's ok but if you (or anyone) has watched rox games and can explain what more purple they could add I'd be happy to hear it. Maybe ditch the black Alt or turn the silver lettering on it purple?

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

I think it's silly to assume the Marlins did absolutely no market research on the uniforms and based all their decisions on the whims of one man. I mean, come de :censored: on.

If there were a significant demand for teal they would have offered the merchandise. This is a business looking to turn a profit after all. Back when the Marlins wore teal full-time, I don't recall everyone wearing teal and seeing a sea of teal at JRS when the place had a decent crowd. It was a lot of white and some teal.

The new color palette is going to make Marlins merchandise easier to wear to other things beside a Marlins game.

I also think fishheatcats posts should come with a disclaimer.

1997 | 2003

So we're approximately two weeks away from the unveiling. We are obviously oblivious to most of the details, but does anybody have any serious predictions as to the general layout/design of the new unis? Allow me to offer mine:

Home: white jersey, "MARLINS" script, solid black cap.

Road: gray jersey, "MIAMI" script, black-crowned cap with orange bill.

Alternate: orange jersey to be worn both at home and on the road, "MIAMI" script, paired with appropriate cap in regards to home/away.

Sure it's a leap of faith that I'm betting against a black alternate jersey. But the whole idea behind this rebranding is to make a big splash, right? To me, a black alternate jersey would be a bit self-contradictory to the plan. It's a bit too conformist IMO, so I'm hoping for orange.

And as for the jersey script, I'm being optimistic that they won't be like the Texases...er, Rangers, and they will actually let the home whites proudly bear the team name. If this part of my prediction ends up being spot on however, having the alternates say MIAMI, together with the fact that they will be worn both home and away, will be the perfect clincher to help hammer down the change from FLORIDA to MIAMI.

Insider info has confirmed that MIAMI will be on both home and the road, and that the alternate set will include an orange jersey and an orange cap.

Wow. Normally I would throw an internet fit upon finding out about the home MIAMI script, but the orange cap as part of the alternate set certainly helps ease that pain for me. Glad to hear that they are not being overly shy, I'm excited for 11/11/11 :) Good to know. Thanks.

No worries. Normally I'd agree with you about the city name on the road, but given that a big part of this re-brand is an emphasis on the Miami name, I can live with it.

In the grand scheme of things it does make sense to really pound the name change into everyone's heads by going with the universal MIAMI script. Similar to what the Rays did (and are still doing, why though is beyond me) when they took the "Devil" out. This is shaping up to be an incredible offseason as far as uniforms/logos go, although I do wish certain other teams would follow suit. *cough*Padres*cough*

P8nzO.jpg

How can you hate those?

I actually love those. It's the 2003-2011 set that I couldn't stand. Way too much black and silver, not enough teal. Sure, maybe teal was "a color of the '90s," but the Marlins are one of two major league teams (the other of course being the Mariners) that can still make teal work. These unis as well as the original home ones were gorgeous, it's a shame that around 2003 they developed White Sox syndrome :(

With the "money grab that the marlins are going for here doesn't it seem odd to only have 3 jerseys rather than 5. I may be totally off base here but blue and black Alts. May be a possibility. White, grey, orange, black and blue.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Archived