New Marlins Uniforms?

xTr1pleXx

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, it's fair enough. The logo is theirs, let them have the unveiling.

When the Winnipeg Jets saw their logo leaked, they said said "screw it", called a late-afternoon presser, and moved on with running the team. Kudos to Winnipeg for being REAL about the situation.

For Miami to go to these lengths is a bit much. Way too much, in fact. However, I suppose this goes along with the Marlins' rich tradition of being a joke of a franchise.

6uXNWAo.png

There's a huge difference between the two situations, because there's a huge difference between the two fanbases.

The Jets have a huge and rabid fanbase (already!) hungry for Jets information. I have no doubt that a great majority of the fanbase knew about the leak almost as soon as it happened.

The Marlins are trying to build excitement in a city that doesn't care all that much. The existing fanbase probably saw the leak, but the Marlins aren't trying to attract them. They need casual fans, or people who don't follow them at all yet, and so they want to build up excitement for an unveiling of the entire package.

There's a narrow window following the unveiling of a logo in which people go crazy and buy merchandise just because it has the new logo. The Jets don't have these concerns, but the Marlins desperately need to maximize that window.

Frankly, I think either response is appropriate. You have to take context into account.

When the Winnipeg Jets saw their logo leaked, they said said "screw it", called a late-afternoon presser, and moved on with running the team. Kudos to Winnipeg for being REAL about the situation.

For Miami to go to these lengths is a bit much. Way too much, in fact. However, I suppose this goes along with the Marlins' rich tradition of being a joke of a franchise.

Joke or not, I'm sure most other franchises would have killed for two world championships in less than 15 years of existence.

If by joke of a franchise you mean 2 championships in less than 20 years of existence. The sole reason they haven't been able to raise payroll will be in the past with the new stadium built.

Why should the franchise scurry to release the the logo to the public because some overzealous logo enthusiasts got images and are posting it on ahead of time. Its also their right to protect the images until they want to officially release it to the public.

If by joke of a franchise you mean 2 championships in less than 20 years of existence. The sole reason they haven't been able to raise payroll will be in the past with the new stadium built.

But the 2 Championships are always followed by "...but then they dismantled the team". Loria gave it 2 more seasons to avoid a total $###storm, after Huizenga blew the '97 team up within a few weeks, but he still downsized to the lowest payroll in baseball in 2006 and then got called out last year for not properly spending revenue sharing money. Yes the stadium lease sucked, but it's still fair IMO to call the franchise a joke. It's been poorly run by 3 different ownership groups. Had 2 great runs and in baseball 2 titles in 20 years is pretty damn good. But overall there's plenty of bad to go with those 2 flashes of glory.

I also noticed the one concept featuring the new logo, that those in the know commented was pretty close to the real unis, got taken down as well. I can see MLB/Marlins wanting to tighten up as much as possible, and it's certainly something they can do, but it seems very silly at this point. The logo leak image and photos of the logo in the ballpark have been in both local papers down here already. If their goal is to try and win over the unaware casual public with something that is ugly as sin, then I guess pulling the logo down before hand makes sense.

No, don't rewrite the story to fit your narrative about ruining tradition and removing color and ending my childhood and firing me for posting on message boards and blah blah blah.

After 2003, the franchise extended Lowell, Castillo and made an offer to Pudge Rodriguez. Throughout 2004 and 2005 the team negotiated two stadium deals with the county and city. They kept most of the championship team together in order to drum up public support. In 2004, the deal for a ballpark south of the Orange Bowl fell through because Tallahassee did not want to give the Marlins a $60 million rebate (among other reasons). Soon a plan emerged for an Orange Bowl Sports Complex, that would feature a ballpark east of a newly renovated Orange Bowl. This was circa offseason 2004-2005. The team decided to show fans and politicos they were serious about putting together a winner in South Florida and signed Carlos Delgado. The Florida Senate ignored the $60 million rebate bill as it was rushed into the chamber with minutes to spare in the legislative session just a few months after. With that, another stadium deal collapsed as neither party wanted to budge on their contributions. That offseason, the team decided they had too much debt and too little revenue coming in at present and going forward so they had a firesale. Soon after that, Samson started touring the team to Portland and San Antonio.

The conspiracy theories in Marlinland have Selig and Union ignoring the ridiculously low payroll figures for 3 years because they wanted ownership to pay-off the debt incurred between 1998-2004. This would allow the team to take on the roughly $160 million in loans that had to be paid upfront for the new stadium. But those are just conspiracy theories. :)

But to say he waited 2 years to avoid a :censored:storm (but by the way he signed Delgado) and then blew up the team because he's an idiot doesn't make sense and ignores a lot of the facts.

1997 | 2003

There's a huge difference between the two situations, because there's a huge difference between the two fanbases.

The Jets have a huge and rabid fanbase (already!) hungry for Jets information. I have no doubt that a great majority of the fanbase knew about the leak almost as soon as it happened.

The Marlins are trying to build excitement in a city that doesn't care all that much. The existing fanbase probably saw the leak, but the Marlins aren't trying to attract them. They need casual fans, or people who don't follow them at all yet, and so they want to build up excitement for an unveiling of the entire package.

There's a narrow window following the unveiling of a logo in which people go crazy and buy merchandise just because it has the new logo. The Jets don't have these concerns, but the Marlins desperately need to maximize that window.

Frankly, I think either response is appropriate. You have to take context into account.

I think another difference in this one was that the baseball playoffs (they're playoffs MLB, you're talking about playoffs...calling it the postseason is kind of lame) are still going on and they dont want to take away from that with a logo reveal. The Jets logo was leaked in the summer.

MLB does so many dumb things (like being roof czar doing the playoffs...teams should be able to start the game with the roof open or closed at their discretion, following the rules of the regular season...I say this as a Cardinal fan), It feels a bit dirty defending MLB and the Marlins, yuck.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

MLB had Photobucket delete my image of the new Marlins logo. Really? The cover has been blown on this for a loooong time. Thanks, a**holes.

Well look at it this way, they saved your page by taking that ugly logo off of it. That is unless you really like the logo. Then it sucks.

spacer.png

So people aren't allowed to like the new Marlins logo?

i heard its going through the legislature to be a law ^

I'm going to jail then. :censored: it, man. :lol:

Anyways, considering the fact that the Jets logo was basically apart of one big rush job (they had barely moved up north before stuff started getting leaked) & this has been meticulously planned for a long time now (hell, the logo is already on the seats, so you know they've had this in the works for a while now), I can understand MLB & the Marlins trying to keep this under wraps even after we've all seen it. Not mad at MLB at all for this one.

Archived