New Marlins Uniforms?

xTr1pleXx

I think it looks pretty cool, but then again I like Miller Park. That roof will help when it rains down there.

Is that the scoreboard angled down in that 2nd pic? Don't know if I like that. Maybe it's not in place yet.

That is the main scoreboard & that's it's final position. Do you mean the angle on the left side of it? I think that's kinda cool actually. The design of the ballpark itself if excellent IMO. The problem lies with the aesthetic details that totally disconnect it from the first 19 years of Marlins history. Even the first seat they installed, somewhere above the 3rd base home dugout, is red for some reason. Not one of the new colors, not teal to honor the Florida Marlins legacy, it's just odd.

My only real gripe with the park's design is that they did not bring over the field dimensions from Joe Robbie, complete with the Teal Tower scoreboard in left and 434 foot Bermuda Triangle in left center. That was one of the few things that made games at JRS feel like a baseball game and gave Marlins home games a unique feel.

That monstrosity being erected in center field is another gem from Loria:

Marlins-Grooms-1.jpg

Complete with flapping seagulls and carnival lights. Hit a home run, give the outfielders a seizure.

marlins.gif

LOL

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apparently any attempt to give your franchise a unique look (instead of trying to make yourself look as generic and "classic" as possible) is "gay" around here.

Problem is they already had a look that was both classic AND unique. Needlessly changing from a universally accepted good look to something that looks like a clown college exploded won't win many positive reviews.

There's the rub.

As I said before, the Marlins are the perfect team for a boundary-pushing, attention-grabbing overhaul. They don't have a large fanbase to alienate.

Perhaps you have a point, but they aren't going to win any new fans either with the new identity, because hardly anyone likes it. They are grabbing attention, sure, and the overwhelming response has been negative. They are not just pushing the boundaries, they've blown them up.

A lot of people think it's some kind of joke or PR stunt to improve the reaction to the real unveiling, but we all know what has been seen is legit. I hope they plan on allowing the public to attend the official unveiling, because it will be a joy to see them try to explain things as they are showered with boos.

Regardless, I still doubt it will be changed anytime soon. Maybe it will last a couple of years at the most, but the Marlins are a corporation. It doesn't make any sense to waste all that time and money only to scrap all your work before it's even shown off to the public.

I say let's wait to see the entire package, not just one logo. I think there's a good chance the leaked logo may look a lot better when it's applied to the rest of the template. There are many logos I initially disliked until I saw how they all formed part of the bigger picture, and then I ended up liking them.

Exactly

While i dont like the new M logo, I am anxious to see the whole package as well. hopefully it'll make sense then but I'm not worried that if it does suck it'll stay forever.

look at the nationals, their identity now is different than when they first hit the scene. the curly W is the same, so are the colors but just about everything else has changed little by little and for the better.

What I see happening is come 11-11-11, we find out everything, it may suck, but odds are it'll change, it'll get tweaked slowly but surely it'll work and make sense. be it 1 year, 3 years or 5!

True2OB.png

There's the rub.

As I said before, the Marlins are the perfect team for a boundary-pushing, attention-grabbing overhaul. They don't have a large fanbase to alienate.

Personally, I'd like it if they moved to a stylized M like the toronto t cap they use currently. You can use all those wacky colors in the right font. Drop the fish from the logo, or make t like the current one.

Anyone want to mock a black cap up like that?

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

They had the teal market cornered, that's for sure.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Problem is they already had a look that was both classic AND unique.

No. They really, really did not have any kind of look that was "classic AND unique"... unless the Rockies and White Sox stopped existing.

I'm guessing that any time someone has referred to the Marlins as having had "a unique identity" in this thread, they're talking about the 90's. That WAS classic and unique.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

What's gay about it?

Apparently any attempt to give your franchise a unique look (instead of trying to make yourself look as generic and "classic" as possible) is "gay" around here.

Or "hideous" or "a clownsuit" or any number of other condescending phrases.

"Gay" isn't a great term to use, but sometimes "hideous" and "clownsuit" really fit the bill. I'm just saying.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

No. They really, really did not have any kind of look that was "classic AND unique"... unless the Rockies and White Sox stopped existing.

I'm guessing that any time someone has referred to the Marlins as having had "a unique identity" in this thread, they're talking about the 90's. That WAS classic and unique.

It was, but the teal-based identity hasn't been worn since 2002. Sure, the teal trim's stuck around since then, but it's always been sandwiched between layers of silver and black trim. The Marlins haven't had a unique, classic identity in eight years. So I don't see any legitimacy to the claim that the new Marlins identity is supplanting a much beloved, embraced identity. The identity Marlins Nation (Marlins Livingroom?) fawns over hasn't been seen in nearly a decade. The Marlins aren't abandoning teal for the new identity, they're abandoning black and silver for the new identity. With that in mind I can only see said new identity as an upgrade.

Also, on the teal in general. Lets stop pretending it was the Yankees' pinstripes. It wasn't untouchable.

There's the rub.

Perhaps you have a point, but they aren't going to win any new fans either with the new identity, because hardly anyone likes it. They are grabbing attention, sure, and the overwhelming response has been negative. They are not just pushing the boundaries, they've blown them up.

Overwhelming negative response from who? The "dedicated" Marlins fanbase? Again, that's a small number, all things considered.

I'm not saying the new identity will turn people into Marlins fans overnight. I'm just saying that the number of people who won't give it a chance because it's not teal are small in number. Sorry. I know you're one of the few, but that's the truth.

What the new identity will do, however, is give a team that's had a pretty stagnant identity for the past seven years a shot in the arm in terms of merchandise sales. It's unique, it's flashy, it'll stand out on the racks at any store that sells MLB caps. If the rumours are true the uniforms will be unique enough to give the Marlins a look they can own again, rather then wearing wanna-be White Sox uniforms. All in all this new look will get the majority of casual fans interested in Marlins baseball again. You combine that with a team committed to building a contender, and suddenly the new look is widely beloved.

A lot of people think it's some kind of joke or PR stunt to improve the reaction to the real unveiling, but we all know what has been seen is legit. I hope they plan on allowing the public to attend the official unveiling, because it will be a joy to see them try to explain things as they are showered with boos.

I know getting fired sucks.

Still, though, I think it's time you let go of the anger you direct at the Loria-owned Marlins.

It was, but the teal-based identity hasn't been worn since 2002. Sure, the teal trim's stuck around since then, but it's always been sandwiched between layers of silver and black trim. The Marlins haven't had a unique, classic identity in eight years. So I don't see any legitimacy to the claim that the new Marlins identity is supplanting a much beloved, embraced identity. The identity Marlins Nation (Marlins Livingroom?) fawns over hasn't been seen in nearly a decade. The Marlins aren't abandoning teal for the new identity, they're abandoning black and silver for the new identity. With that in mind I can only see said new identity as an upgrade.

Um...

Um...

Yes, I know the new identity will have silver and black, but it also has blue, athletic gold, and orange in there, and all the rumours seem to indicate that they'll have a primarily orange alternate set. The new look will, in all likelihood, be more then just black and silver. More so then the current look is anyway.

Archived