2011-2012 NCAA Football Uniform Thread

Lights Out

I can't imagine ASU removing Sparky from the helmet. It's a big part of their football identity. That said, I hope they do. I feel the opposite of OldSchoolVikings...I hate cartoon characters on helmets. No sparky, no bucky, no goldy (gopher), no KU Jayhawk. Team most in need of helmet change: Fresno State.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't imagine ASU removing Sparky from the helmet. It's a big part of their football identity. That said, I hope they do. I feel the opposite of OldSchoolVikings...I hate cartoon characters on helmets. No sparky, no bucky, no goldy (gopher), no KU Jayhawk. Team most in need of helmet change: Fresno State.

Good lord is Fresno's helmet awful.

Though I don't think Sparky is so bad. Certainly a whole hell of a lot better than that Fresno monstrosity. Heck, that interlocking FS logo they use for baseball might look decent.

The guy who runs the Helmet Project must be prophetic. This is his hypothetical ASU design:

d32f4c99.gif

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Though I don't think Sparky is so bad. Certainly a whole hell of a lot better than that Fresno monstrosity. Heck, that interlocking FS logo they use for baseball might look decent.

It might be dated, but I always liked the cursive Bulldogs that Fresno used to wear, back in the 80s and 90s. Does Fresno still use like 23 different colored pride stickers that were around just a few years ago?

Also - over on Operation Sports and on UniWatch, it's been reported that the Miami Hurricanes will be making a change back to their late 80s era template, which will be awesome.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

It might be dated, but I always liked the cursive Bulldogs that Fresno used to wear, back in the 80s and 90s. Does Fresno still use like 23 different colored pride stickers that were around just a few years ago?

Also - over on Operation Sports and on UniWatch, it's been reported that the Miami Hurricanes will be making a change back to their late 80s era template, which will be awesome.

I hope that's true. That would be great.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Ugh, I hope the ASU news isn't true. I don't know what it is, but Sparky is one of my favorite logos. And he's been on the helmet for how long? Like 30-something years? Why change now?

If they do change, I'll reserve full judgement until I see the new product, but I'm not too excited about it.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I love Sparky. But then, Im a sucker for all cartoony mascots for college teams. I'd put Bucky Badger on the side of a bright red helmet at wisconsin. Hell, I'd probably slap that goofy little buck-toothed creature Minnesota uses on their helmet.

Yep. Guilty pleasure for me, too. I got a Nike hat a while back that has Goldy's goofy mug on the front, and it's still my favorite U of Minnesota hat (I think the Gopher's "M" logo looks a little unbalanced on a hat).

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I'd hate to see Sparky leave the ASU helmet as well; he's probably one of the best cartoon-y logos you can have...not intimidating/aggressive, just menacing. However, if ASU must take Sparky off their helmets, this would be a good idea for the helmet, as posted above:

d32f4c99.gif

As for Oklahoma State's update...all I can say for them is that it's about time we see charcoal/slate gray paired up with orange:

166612_1264429146368_1698954282_475492_6150303_n.jpg

And yes, I know that I'm probably in the minority here.

But my nagging question here is: Are the Cowboys going to have any white or orange uniforms? It'd be hard to see them not wearing a whole ton of orange and white.

Highly doubt Sparky will be replaced on the helmet...maybe for a one time uni, but not fully replaced.

Regardless if you like/dislike cartoon-style logos, Sparky is unique and has history...two things college football teams should keep.

No pitchfork-helmet would look good on the field.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

But my nagging question here is: Are the Cowboys going to have any white or orange uniforms? It'd be hard to see them not wearing a whole ton of orange and white.

I get the feeling that's just one page of it and their orange and white jerseys are elsewhere.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I'd hate to see Sparky leave the ASU helmet as well; he's probably one of the best cartoon-y logos you can have...not intimidating/aggressive, just menacing. However, if ASU must take Sparky off their helmets, this would be a good idea for the helmet, as posted above:

d32f4c99.gif

As for Oklahoma State's update...all I can say for them is that it's about time we see charcoal/slate gray paired up with orange:

166612_1264429146368_1698954282_475492_6150303_n.jpg

And yes, I know that I'm probably in the minority here.

I imagine they still have a white and orange that were on a second page (perhaps with a white helmet).

I heard several months ago OSU wanted to have multiple uniform options when they got their new ones so that would make sense.

edit: just saw Kevin W's post. Agreed.

Kansas is getting TechFit jerseys. Nice clean uncluttered look.

1045464.jpg

Ick...shrinwrap makes it to Kansas.

If they're going to do that...then they have GOT to do something about those numbers. Either go back to the thicker version (I can tell those have been thinned out from recent years), or go back to a plain block. That type of jersey is horrible for sytlized numbers. (Hell, it even makes regular blocks look nasty.)

Holee sheeit...if this proves to be true, then the ghosts of The "U" are about to be resurrected!

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• 2 weeks later...

They've been selling black jerseys in the bookstore for a lonnnnnggggg time.

Disappointed that they'll finally be on the field.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Yawn... yet another example of the "we have no creativity, so let's bring back an old uniform" trend.

Yeah. Nothing to do with it actually looking better, being more recognizable or being part of a winning tradition.

Just saw pics of Arkansas State's new uniforms for this next year. It's not pretty. Looks like they'll be keeping the black helmets with stAte logo, though there are rumblings of putting the wolf head on them. The jerseys are red with black piping on the shoulders (similar to Cincinnati). No names on back (wolf head logo there instead, similar to Kansas), stAte logo on the front. Numbers on front and back are black with white numbers (yuck) while the shoulder numbers are white with black outline. And they're also paired up with red pants. It looks nasty.

Yawn... yet another example of the "we have no creativity, so let's bring back an old uniform" trend.

Yeah. Nothing to do with it actually looking better, being more recognizable or being part of a winning tradition.

Except for their most recent winning was done in these:

Miami-Hurricanes.jpg

And recruits couldn't care less about what your program did 30 years ago, they want to go to a program that's winning now. Switching back to ancient, tired uniforms will not only not bring back the old tradition, it might even slightly hurt Miami in recruiting, judging from the reaction programs like Oregon get for their modern uniforms.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Really? C'mon dude. Miami? No creativity? You realize they're one of the schools that started the "Millenium modern movement", right? For ten years they've had crazy ridiculous designs and change their uniform seemingly every two years. God forbid them trying to go back to thier roots for a little while. If Miami stays true to thier pattern, they'll just change again in two or three years, so you won't have to endure an "OMGZ TRADITIONAL!! MYEYEZ!" meltdown for too long :P

And really, recruits aren't going to turn Miami down for thier uniforms. For the last time, uniforms have very minimal impact on a recruit. Sure they may think they look cool, but any recruit who turns down or attends a school because of the uniform is a complete idiot.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Archived