2011-2012 NCAA Football Uniform Thread

Lights Out

Of course winning and tradition comes before the uniforms, but if it comes down to two schools with very similar pedigrees, the details start to matter a lot more, and I would guess that most recruits would like to be a part of a team that looks like they play in this millennium instead of being stuck in the past.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, because Alabama and Penn State have such difficulty getting good recruits.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Yeah, because Alabama and Penn State have such difficulty getting good recruits.

Alabama is also in the SEC, which not only has a high level of competition and benefits from being located in a high-school football hotbed, but also has a reputation for paying their recruits. It's not surprising that Alabama always gets great classes.

Also, what tvko said.

xLmjWVv.png

Of course winning and tradition comes before the uniforms, but if it comes down to two schools with very similar pedigrees, the details start to matter a lot more, and I would guess that most recruits would like to be a part of a team that looks like they play in this millennium instead of being stuck in the past.

Are you serious? I'm sure some recruits think what Oregon does is cool and all but they aren't going to decide their whole College future on what the team's uniform looks like.

Lets just take a look at ESPN's Top 10 Recruiting classes this year...

1. Florida State - Traditional Uniforms

2. Alabama - Traditional Uniforms

3. Auburn - Traditional Uniforms

4. USC - Traditional Uniforms

5. Texas - Traditional Uniforms

6. Georgia - Traditional Uniforms

7. Ohio State - Traditional Uniforms

8. Clemson - Traditional Uniforms

9. Notre Dame - Traditional Uniforms

10. LSU - Traditional Uniforms

Oregon, Cal, and if you consider Virginia's unis modern are the only 3 in the Top 20 to have modern styled uniforms, I dont think recruits really give a rip, they care about winning and getting a shot at the next level, not what a team's uniforms look like.

Alabama is also in the SEC, which not only has a high level of competition and benefits from being located in a high-school football hotbed, but also has a reputation for paying their recruits. It's not surprising that Alabama always gets great classes.

Also, what tvko said.

Yes, Alabama has to pay their recruits because they all say "Look you guys have uniforms that are stuck in the past, we aren't coming unless you pay us!"

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Are you serious? I'm sure some recruits think what Oregon does is cool and all but they aren't going to decide their whole College future on what the team's uniforms look like.

First of all, I never said anyone would decide their whole college future on uniforms. I did say that details matter, which they do. My argument is if it comes down to Oregon and a similar program, a recruit would be more likely to pick Oregon because of the details: more recent success, better facilities, newer and better everything (yes, including uniforms). That's just the way it is.

Case in point: after Boise State beat VT, I remember reading a list of quotes about the game from BSU recruits, and they all ended with something to the effect of, "and wow, those uniforms looked awesome." Believe it or not, the way your school looks does have a tiny miniscule grain of an impression on recruits.

Yes, Alabama has to pay their recruits because they all say "Look you guys have uniforms that are stuck in the past, we aren't coming unless you pay us!"

Yes, that's exactly what I said. :rolleyes:

xLmjWVv.png

First of all, I never said anyone would decide their whole college future on uniforms. I did say that details matter, which they do. My argument is if it comes down to Oregon and a similar program, a recruit would be more likely to pick Oregon because of the details: more recent success, better facilities, newer and better everything (yes, including uniforms). That's just the way it is.

You kind of did.... just saying recruit's don't really care that much, they will focus on other small "details" before they would on the uniforms.

Yes, that's exactly what I said. :rolleyes:

It wasn't exactly what you said but you were using that as an excuse for why Alabama gets good recruits. Of course you are just convinced that the SEC is evil since they have pretty much made the rest of College Football their :censored: the past 5 or 6 years.

Case in point: after Boise State beat VT, I remember reading a list of quotes about the game from BSU recruits, and they all ended with something to the effect of, "and wow, those uniforms looked awesome." Believe it or not, the way your school looks does have a tiny miniscule grain of an impression on recruits.

Okay so some recruits said the uniforms look good, that doesn't mean its going to effect their decision on whether or not they rather play for someone like Penn State or Boise State, then again Boise State's recruits are probably not getting recruited by the big schools.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Penn State does, have you seen their class? Local coverage is scathing.

I meant it in the sense that they don't have to scrap for recruits by pointing to flashy uniforms. The tradition at Penn State speaks for itself.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

You kind of did.... just saying recruit's don't really care that much, they will focus on other small "details" before they would on the uniforms.

No, I meant that if it came down to small details, many recruits would consider whether a school's image is current or historic and base a small part of their decision on that. And if you look at the talent that schools with a "modern" image like Oregon and VT have been getting lately, it can be argued that many talented recruits prefer a more "modern" school when it comes to facilities and all the extras.

It wasn't exactly what you said but you were using that as an excuse for why Alabama gets good recruits. Of course you are just convinced that the SEC is evil since they have pretty much made the rest of College Football their :censored: the past 5 or 6 years.

I don't think the SEC is evil at all, in fact, I actually watch quite a bit of SEC football because it is fun to watch. What I don't like about college football is the prevalence of pay-for-play, and two of the biggest recent pay-for-play scandals (Albert Means, Cam Newton) have occurred in the SEC. Like it or not, the SEC has a "dirty cheater" image when it comes to recruits, which they have earned through scandals like those two.

xLmjWVv.png

Bam. Discussion over.

My opinion is that uniforms can't hurt a school but they can help a little. Teams with traditional uniforms usually have traditional uniforms because they have been successful in them and continue to be successful in them. Teams that are getting better now can maybe use modern uniforms to get more attention and things like that. For every recruit that wants to be a part of something new and with exciting, flashy uniforms there is a recruit who wants to be part of a tradition that has classic uniforms. The bottom line is that uniforms heve very little to do with recruiting, as much as we obsess over them. Though I have heard of one Oregon player who was deciding between Oregon and another school and he chose Oregon because of the uniforms. But thats just something I've heard, I do not know if it is true or not.

maehl.png

Bam. Discussion over.

I love this list. So much.

Ok. Please. Let this go. No recruit serious about their future playing football is going to base their choice of school on uniforms. A recruit may think Oregon's clown suits were "hot" and "awesome," but they're not going to Oregon if an other school, even one with boring, traditional uniforms, offers them a better ride/better exposure.

Even in cases where everything else is equal and uniforms do factor in, even a little bit, not every one is going to go with the modern look. For every recruit that wants to play for Oregon or TCU because of their "hot" Nike looks there are recruits who want to wear the uniforms of the all-time great programs like Notre Dame or Alabama.

Simply put, modern uniforms do not increase recruitment, and bigmike's list should be all the proof you need.

Count me in for loving that list. Some dang good looking teams on that list.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

and remember Florida State showed an all black and all white uniform during recruiting visits this summer.

and they didnt wear either during the regular season. just saying...

but yeah, if you are serious about playing college football uniforms are an afterthought in the decision. but some schools obviously feel like uniforms are just another thing that can be an edge in the recruiting process,

and that includes Florida State.

Well, it's not like all-black would be something completely out-of-the-blue for FSU. Now, white helmets? That's different.

I've talked to a few people in the athletics department...drawings and uni-mockups are floating around, but apparently no definite plans yet.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Bam. Discussion over.

I love this list. So much.

Ok. Please. Let this go. No recruit serious about their future playing football is going to base their choice of school on uniforms. A recruit may think Oregon's clown suits were "hot" and "awesome," but they're not going to Oregon if an other school, even one with boring, traditional uniforms, offers them a better ride/better exposure.

Even in cases where everything else is equal and uniforms do factor in, even a little bit, not every one is going to go with the modern look. For every recruit that wants to play for Oregon or TCU because of their "hot" Nike looks there are recruits who want to wear the uniforms of the all-time great programs like Notre Dame or Alabama. Simply put, modern uniforms do not increase recruitment, and bigmike's list should be all the proof you need.

As someone who works with recruits for TCU and Texas, I can tell you almost every single one of them prefer the "hot" nike looks, but it's not like any 2 schools are identical besides the uniforms. Way too many variables to pin it on that alone, but the uniforms certainly get recruits to notice a school like Oregon or TCU that they may not have thought about otherwise.

Archived