Pack to ride the white jersey in Dallas?

lahaye7

Packers won't be wearing any jersey in Dallas on Super Bowl Sunday.

Yes, I'm a whiny Arlington resident. I voted against the stadium but have to help pay for it tax. The Super Bowl is in Arlington.

Yeah, good luck with that. Oh, and get a mass transit system and I'll take your town a little more seriously.

Believe you me, I voted for a Mass Transit System. It shames me that we are the largest city in the US that doesn't have mass transit. It's absolutely ridiculous.

uta-big-sam-little-uta.png

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get some snow plows too, because from everything I've seen it looks like Dallas is completely ill-equipped to deal with cold-weather. Plus, it's North Texas, I have family there, and I've been there when there's been ice storms before.

Snow isn't our problem. We can deal with snow. It's ice that sends everyone into a tizzy.

But hey, if we learned how to deal with ice, that would just eliminate an excuse to give out "everyone stay home from work" passes.

uta-big-sam-little-uta.png

Yes, I'm a whiny Arlington resident. I voted against the stadium but have to help pay for it tax. The Super Bowl is in Arlington.

When the Cowboys change thier name to the Arlington Cowboys, then Ill acknowledge that their games are played in Arlington. So as far as I know, The Dallas Cowboys play their home games in Dallas, Tx. So there.

That's fu*king stupid.

They're the Dallas Cowboys, but they DO play in Arlington, and before that they played in Irving. They haven't played in Dallas since the 60's.

The Washington Redskins play in Landover

The New York Giants & Jets play in East Rutherford, NJ

The Detroit Lions for years played in Pontiac

The Los Angeles Rams played in Anaheim

The Buffalo Bills play in Orchard Park

Just because a team carries the nearest large city's name doesn't mean you get to ignore where they actually play.

So there.

I know it's not the norm, but Milwaukee's NFL team is named for the town they play in. And yes, that is official according to the NFL. It's why the Packers flagship newspaper, radio and TV stations are all based out of Milwaukee, not Green Bay and we're also subject to the same blackout laws as Green Bay despite being outside the 75-mile radius.

SUBURBAN BUTTHURT

Pretty much nailed it on the head, except for use of the term "suburb". Arlington hasn't been a suburb in years. We are the 50th largest city in the US, a fact which brings me no joy.

Doesn't matter... no mass transit = suburb

When the Cowboys change thier name to the Arlington Cowboys, then Ill acknowledge that their games are played in Arlington. So as far as I know, The Dallas Cowboys play their home games in Dallas, Tx. So there.

That's fu*king stupid.

They're the Dallas Cowboys, but they DO play in Arlington, and before that they played in Irving. They haven't played in Dallas since the 60's.

Just because a team carries the nearest large city's name doesn't mean you get to ignore where they actually play.

So there.

No one cares about the suburbs. When they rename the team the Arlington Cowboys, then Arlington will matter. Until then, they dont. Its the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas is home of the Cowboys. Deal with it.

Get some snow plows too, because from everything I've seen it looks like Dallas is completely ill-equipped to deal with cold-weather. Plus, it's North Texas, I have family there, and I've been there when there's been ice storms before.

Snow isn't our problem. We can deal with snow. It's ice that sends everyone into a tizzy.

But hey, if we learned how to deal with ice, that would just eliminate an excuse to give out "everyone stay home from work" passes.

supposed to be on a plane to Austin right now... GAHH

oh and GO AGGIES!!

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

This reminds me of playing the original John Madden Football for the Super Nintendo and the Jets and Raiders were the "New Jersey Jets" and "Oakland Raiders" respectively... let that sink in for a while.

Actually, IIRC they were just "New Jersey" and "Oakland." They didn't have a NFL or NFLPA license so they could only refer to the teams by city (and players by number). They basically did that to avoid having to call them "New York-A" and "Los Angeles-A". I think some of the early NHL games referred to the Islanders as "Long Island" for the same reason.

Then why could they feature Denver, Pittsburgh, New England, etc? Wouldn't they run into the same problem then? I think the Long Island Islanders was in the NHL '93 version. But I remember thinking they were a secret team, and then laughing when I found out otherwise.

No, because they were not using their nicknames or logos. As long as they only referred to the team by a generic location name there were no licensing issues involved.

Hmmm, I would figure that they could still complain ever without the logos or name, because the jerseys/sprites were identical to their NFL counterparts. I mean if someone used an exact replica of the Broncos uniform now, removed the logo and name, reproduced it in a video game or on the field (even with a different horse-logo or logo period), that the Broncos let's say, could come after them.

You have an interesting concept of the word "identical." If these jerseys are "identical" to NFL ones, then Madden would have to use pink and yellow jerseys, because all the other possibilities would be identical to NFL ones.

barry-sanders-420.jpg

(if anyone's curious, that is supposedly Barry Sanders)

Back then the technology wasn't as advanced, and Tecmo often got in trouble with the NFL for sprites that looked similar to their NFL counterparts. The lawsuit was thrown out, but they forced the original Tecmo Bowl game to make adjustments to their sprites and the helmets too, even though they still had the players official names in the game.

Then again, the videogame industry has had a strange history with it comes to lawsuits. One only has to look at the negative press that Grand Theft Auto: Vice City got, compared to past and future GTA games which had the same kind of material - some would say even more offensive.

The fact is, I'm surprised that John Madden Football didn't suffer from the same thing that Tecmo Bowl did, and it HAD the permission of the NFLPA and the NFL at the time of its development and release.

I know it's more of the ice than snow, but it was more of a sarcastic remark concerning Dallas' and other sunbelt cities who have no infrastructure to deal with an event that has occurred before.

Overall, if there's too many problems, the NFL might have issues with Dallas hosting the event again. Atlanta's last Super Bowl was a disaster after similar ice storm hit the city, and we all know about the problems that Jacksonville had. That's not to say that Dallas won't ever hold another Super Bowl, but issues like this tend to stick with a host city for a while.

I know it's more of the ice than snow, but it was more of a sarcastic remark concerning Dallas' and other sunbelt cities who have no infrastructure to deal with an event that has occurred before.

Overall, if there's too many problems, the NFL might have issues with Dallas hosting the event again. Atlanta's last Super Bowl was a disaster after similar ice storm hit the city, and we all know about the problems that Jacksonville had. That's not to say that Dallas won't ever hold another Super Bowl, but issues like this tend to stick with a host city for a while.

Well...if a storm similar to this happens to blow through Indiana next year, the league may well end up doing this song and dance all over again. (Although the cynic in me kinda wants to see that happen, just to see how the Chicken Littles around here would react.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Well...if a storm similar to this happens to blow through Indiana next year, the league may well end up doing this song and dance all over again. (Although the cynic in me kinda wants to see that happen, just to see how the Chicken Littles around here would react.)

In giving NY/NJ a SB, didn't the NFL for all intents and purposes p*** on the feet of the weather gods and dare them to bring it on? :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

That's fu*king stupid.

So there.

I know it's not the norm, but Milwaukee's NFL team is named for the town they play in. And yes, that is official according to the NFL. It's why the Packers flagship newspaper, radio and TV stations are all based out of Milwaukee, not Green Bay and we're also subject to the same blackout laws as Green Bay despite being outside the 75-mile radius.

SUBURBAN BUTTHURT

Pretty much nailed it on the head, except for use of the term "suburb". Arlington hasn't been a suburb in years. We are the 50th largest city in the US, a fact which brings me no joy.

Actually, by definition, wouldn't a suburb have mass transit to get people in and out of the urban core?

Either way, from my experience, most of the cities in Texas are "suburban" by east coast standards, due to the relatively low density, lack of mass transit, and sheer sprawl.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

In giving NY/NJ a SB, didn't the NFL for all intents and purposes p*** on the feet of the weather gods and dare them to bring it on? :D

I honestly think I've heard more about the weather in Dallas this week than I have about the game. It's probably one part the media is a bunch of babies who's sour that their yearly vacation is in a place where it's 20 degrees and icy and another part that the two teams gave them nothing to talk about.

Really it's a non issue as the game is going to be played inside, but the media LOVES to cover the media and all their plans have them sitting on 20 degree outdoor sets. I think it's hilarious.

I really do hope there's similar weather in Indianapolis next season.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I honestly think I've heard more about the weather in Dallas this week than I have about the game. It's probably one part the media is a bunch of babies who's sour that their yearly vacation is in a place where it's 20 degrees and icy and another part that the two teams gave them nothing to talk about.

Really it's a non issue as the game is going to be played inside, but the media LOVES to cover the media and all their plans have them sitting on 20 degree outdoor sets. I think it's hilarious.

So do I...just to see how the people will react.

On an entirely unrelated note...I think it'll also be interesting to see what, if anything, the city will do to "spruce up" in advance of the game. They've already been working on improving the stretch of 1-70 that passes south of the downtown core (or to some people, through Indianapolis, since its do damn spread out). The big Oil Drum Brick House already has giant "HOME OF SUPER BOWL 2012" signs plastered all around it. But um...for those of you who've been to the intersection of Illinois @ South Street, look to the south of it. What's there? Exactly. But, then again, the NFL holds the daggone combine in Lucas Oil every spring, so they should by now already have an idea of what the area looks like. Guess we'll wait and see 'til then.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Had to use Google Maps Street View because I don't have enough gas to drive to Indy and back to see for myself.

A White Castle and a strip club. Hm. Lovely little downtown there in Conventionland, USA.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That's fu*king stupid.

So there.

SUBURBAN BUTTHURT

Actually, by definition, wouldn't a suburb have mass transit to get people in and out of the urban core?

Not necessarily. None of the suburban counties that surround Milwaukee have mass transit (except Racine and Kenosha, which have entirely separate systems) and I'm pretty sure the same holds true for the Chicago burbs that aren't on the METRA line. Of course, Midwestern suburbanites as a whole tend to be much more aggressively anti-transit than their Eastern counterparts.

On an entirely unrelated note...I think it'll also be interesting to see what, if anything, the city will do to "spruce up" in advance of the game. They've already been working on improving the stretch of 1-70 that passes south of the downtown core (or to some people, through Indianapolis, since its do damn spread out). The big Oil Drum Brick House already has giant "HOME OF SUPER BOWL 2012" signs plastered all around it. But um...for those of you who've been to the intersection of Illinois @ South Street, look to the south of it. What's there? Exactly. But, then again, the NFL holds the daggone combine in Lucas Oil every spring, so they should by now already have an idea of what the area looks like. Guess we'll wait and see 'til then.

Don't you know, the media will play up the Mayan Calendar angle, just to get more people to tune into the pre-game coverage.

Then watch... it will be Sunny and 60 degrees for the Super Bowl in New York/New Jersey.

None of the suburban counties that surround Milwaukee have mass transit (except Racine and Kenosha, which have entirely separate systems) and I'm pretty sure the same holds true for the Chicago burbs that aren't on the METRA line. Of course, Midwestern suburbanites as a whole tend to be much more aggressively anti-transit than their Eastern counterparts.

Between the Metra lines (there are what, eight? nine?) and the Pace buses, there's pretty good coverage of the area. If you go to Google Maps and click on Transit, it shows all the commuter railroads. Basically, the only parts of the region that aren't served are DeKalb and some of the newer southwest suburban stuff down around Plainfield. Elk Grove doesn't have a Metra stop because Elk Grove is a business park that thinks it's a town. Kankakee's not connected, but who would want it to be?

Midwesterners are probably more skeptical of transit than Easterners because everything's so far apart. Boston to Hartford or Providence is a reasonable distance, and everything's more or less along a straight line. Other than Chicago to Milwaukee, everyone is set apart by alienating emptiness. You could take a train from Indianapolis to Des Moines, but why?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Midwesterners are probably more skeptical of transit than Easterners because everything's so far apart. Boston to Hartford or Providence is a reasonable distance, and everything's more or less along a straight line. Other than Chicago to Milwaukee, everyone is set apart by alienating emptiness. You could take a train from Indianapolis to Des Moines, but why?

I was talking more about commuter rail than inter-city rail (and please don't get me started on our shortsighted dropout of a governor and his idiotic decision to cut Wisconsin out of a national network). Maybe it's the Detroit influence, but for whatever reason, Midwesterners (as well as Southerners, and to some extent, Californians) have insane attachments to their cars to the point that they actually believe tearing up their cities infrastructure every 20 years to add more freeway lanes is somehow more efficient than commuter trains that can use already existing rail lines.

Well, one thing I will point out is that once the Convention Center's expansion is finished, as well as the new hotels, you should be able to go just about anywhere staying inside through all the skywalks that are gonna go through downtown. Maybe you have to walk 10 feet to get into the stadium. LOL.

But that is the nice thing about Indy, unlike DFW/Arlington where everything's spread out, the entertainment is very centralized, as opposed to North Texas. That said, there's not much entertainment, but hey, it's sufficient for the Final Four, right?

6fQjS3M.png

Archived