Pack to ride the white jersey in Dallas?

lahaye7

I've seen a lot of places use "Long Island" as the official location name for the Isles, and I tend to do it myself, too. I think the NHL even designated its expansion team as being awarded not to New York but to Long Island. Neat little quirk.

At the time of expansion, the team was expected to use the Long Island Ducks name, IIRC.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen a lot of places use "Long Island" as the official location name for the Isles, and I tend to do it myself, too. I think the NHL even designated its expansion team as being awarded not to New York but to Long Island. Neat little quirk.

At the time of expansion, the team was expected to use the Long Island Ducks name, IIRC.

Wikipedia claims that, but the Google News Archives is unable to provide any evidence to support the notion that they were going to take the established minor-league club's name. I've found articles indicating that the team would not hold a contest (as it would take too long), that the name would have some sort of "identification" with Long Island, and then the announcement. I suspect the Duck "rumors" were wishful thinking on the part of a Wikipedia editor.

According to this Times article, there was unspecified "pressure" on the owner to name his Islanders and Nets "Long Island" but he resisted.

L.I. Ducks is a minor league baseball team. Atlantic League (independent).

qj334_611.jpg

87Redskins.png

Yes it is, but it was also the name of a minor league hockey team before the Islanders were established.

There was also some talk that they'd be the "Long Islanders," not prefaced by "New York" or "Uniondale" or what have you, just "Long Islanders." Good thing they didn't.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yes it is, but it was also the name of a minor league hockey team before the Islanders were established.

There was also some talk that they'd be the "Long Islanders," not prefaced by "New York" or "Uniondale" or what have you, just "Long Islanders." Good thing they didn't.

I guess it would be no more embarrassing than the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, of the United States, of the Western Hemisphere.

I know the topic here seems to have strayed from the original topic of Packers jerseys, but as a Packer fan when I think of the Packers wearing white in Dallas, I cant help but think of all those mid '90s playoff games where Favre and company could never get over the hurdle and beat Dallas while wearing white, so Im not liking the choice of white in Dalas, but then again, those werent superbowl games and it's all superstition anyways. wear whatever the f* you want.

Looks like ESPN Milwaukee reported correctly ... The PACK in green with the Super Bowl XLV logo

My theory is that one reason the NFL went with a grayscale SB logo in order to look less intrusive color-wise on the uniforms.

That logo goes with every teams' uniform equally well.

I highly doubt that's the actual patch. Suspect "NORTH TEXAS 2011" will not be embroidered on the jerseys, as seems to be indicated on that bad Photoshop job.

Its Dallas. Stop with the "North Texas" stupidity. Same thing last year with "South Florida" instead of Miami. Just PC crap. This years Super Bowl is in Dallas. If its not in Dallas, than the Cowboys are no longer the Dallas Cowboys.

Are you capable of making an argument about anything that doesn't boil down to something being PC, even when it has nothing to do with PC? Seriously, your schtick is beyond annoying.

Oh be quiet. What schtick? I post here, like, once every 2 or 3 months. Do you even know that "PC" means, little girl? Whats annoying is that people in every little suburb of a big city wants to be recognized and wants publicity for thier little area. They dont want to be associated with the nearest big city, so they push and push til the powers-that-be are afraid to offend them, so they put a blanket on the situation like "South Florida" or "North Texas". Its stupid. When they are called the "North Texas Cowboys" or the "South Florida Dolphins" or the "New Jersey Giants", then Ill go by that. If those little suburbs didnt want the money that comes from the Dallas Cowboys or Miami Dolphins, they shouldnt have allowed them to build a stadium there. Its the money from those teams and stadiums that allow those little towns to exist. Yes, I know the Cowboys dont play in Dallas. But Irving, Tx and Arlington, Tx would have dried up by now if not for the stadiums and teams in those little suburbs.

I'm not sure how I feel about the actual trophy being used though. It's kind of like a championship belt - you shouldn't wear it until you win it.

I disagree. I think it's nice to see what you're playing for. It's worked fine for the NHL (and sometimes NBA) for a long time now.

That said, it doesn't look right in football, if only because nothing about this standardization of Super Bowl stuff the NFL is doing looks right. The colors and uniqueness of every Super Bowl is a terrible thing to lose.

oBIgzrL.png

Part of me really likes the standardization of the logo / patch. It gives a consistent look for the championship game, and IMO that makes it more special. Every year players will dream of having that same patch sewn on their jerseys, as opposed to something different and sometimes crappy. The more I think about it, the more I like it (from a conceptual standpoint.)

I'm not sure how I feel about the actual trophy being used though. It's kind of like a championship belt - you shouldn't wear it until you win it. It's not that big of a deal though, and the benefits of the standardization outweigh anything else.

Maybe something like this might work?

jennings_sbjersey.png

That's a.... fantastic idea. I love it. Represents what they've won and why they're there, and doesn't suffer from the verticality of the new Lombardi patch.

Nice work.

Agreed. Simple, elegant, meaningful. Good job.

'preciate y'all :D

Again, I can't find any paper trail confirming that in the Google News Archives.

No way...they're the GREEN Bay Packers. Whenever they have the choice, they wear GREEN.

Didn't the Steelers choose to wear white in their last superbowl?

As the designated home team in Super Bowl XL, the Steelers chose to wear white since they won 3 road games (all wearing their road white) in the 2005 playoffs (The home team gets uniform choice). In Super Bowl XLIII, the Cardinals were designated the home team, so they wore their red unis, and the Steelers wore their road white.

Other designated home teams that wore white unis:

Dallas in Super Bowls XIII and XXVII

Washington in Super Bowl XVII

... are the same people trying to claim the Statue of Liberty is also somehow in New Jersey.

The Statue of Liberty is in Jersey.

Not according to the Supreme Court, the United States Congress, the National Park Service, the Post Office, the United States National Register of Historic Places, the United States Geological Survey, the compact of 1664 which established the Province of New Jersey as a colony, the compromise of 1834 and, you know, the whole of reality. ;)

Really, New Jersey is a fine state with a rich history and worthwhile landmarks. You really don't have to try and pinch anybody else's.

I've seen maps that divide the water, and the statue is designated on the Jersey side.

I have also seen this factoid mentioned in some "rarely known facts" trivia somewhere too.

From Wikipedia:

Location and visiting

Tourists aboard a Circle Line ferry bound for Liberty Island, June 1973The statue is situated in Upper New York Bay on Liberty Island, south of Ellis Island. Both islands were ceded by New York to the federal government in 1800.[135] As agreed in an 1834 compact between New York and New Jersey that set the state border at the bay's midpoint, the original islands remain New York territory despite their location on the New Jersey side of the state line. Land created by reclamation at Ellis is New Jersey territory.

sig-1.png

Archived