Pack to ride the white jersey in Dallas?

lahaye7

You know we in the Dallas area are the only ones that are so concerned with our municipal boundaries that we nitpick where everything is.

It's all Dallas to the rest of the world, yeah. Lots of relatively modern metros do the same nitpicking over their jigsaw puzzles of jurisdictions. The midwest and northeast are pretty much the only regions that know where their bread is buttered.

I'd say the Rust Belt cities do our own share of bickering, albeit for different reasons... especially Detroit.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to all for adding to the hype.

FWIW, the Packers are 2?0 in green-clad Super Bowls, and the Steelers are 3?0 in white-clad Super Bowls. Something's got to give.

The good bad and ugly from that game

good- pack wins the division that game

bad- steelers fails to go 12-4 in back to back seasons (although they advanced to Super Bowl XXX)

ugly- Yancey Thigpen's drop in the endzone gives the pack the division and forces the Lions to go on the road to Philadelphia the next week ( we all know what happened after that)

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

You know we in the Dallas area are the only ones that are so concerned with our municipal boundaries that we nitpick where everything is.

It's all Dallas to the rest of the world, yeah. Lots of relatively modern metros do the same nitpicking over their jigsaw puzzles of jurisdictions. The midwest and northeast are pretty much the only regions that know where their bread is buttered.

OMG THE GIANTS DON'T PLAY IN NEW YORK THEY SHOULD BE THE NJ GIANTz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

07Giants.pngnyy.png

OMG THE GIANTS DON'T PLAY IN NEW YORK THEY SHOULD BE THE NJ GIANTz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, but aside from a few insecure Jersey morons, all the people complaining about the Jets, Giants and Meadowlands are people well outside the northeast. People in the NE understand the concept of metropolitan areas being more important than state lines.

Yeah, but aside from a few insecure Jersey morons, all the people complaining about the Jets, Giants and Meadowlands are people well outside the northeast. People in the NE understand the concept of metropolitan areas being more important than state lines.

I always thought the sticking point for the "New Jersey Giants" crowd was that all of the teams' offices were in Jersey as well... opposed to the Jets who were based on Long Island and just happened to share Giants Stadium.

Not sure how accurate any of this still is... especially with the opening of the new stadium... but assuming it was all true, I wouldn't be so quick to write it off as insecurity and pedantry.

Looks like ESPN Milwaukee reported correctly ... The PACK in green with the Super Bowl XLV logo

SuperBowl_XLV_RodgersReplicaJersey.jpg

My theory is that one reason the NFL went with a grayscale SB logo in order to look less intrusive color-wise on the uniforms.

That logo goes with every teams' uniform equally well.

I highly doubt that's the actual patch. Suspect "NORTH TEXAS 2011" will not be embroidered on the jerseys, as seems to be indicated on that bad Photoshop job.

Well, I just ordered a SB-patched Rodgers replica jersey from NFLShop, and the picture above is pretty much the same one they had on the Web site. I guess I'll find out what the patch looks like when the jersey arrives... unless, of course, the replica-jersey patch is different from the game-jersey patch.

CCSLC signature.png

This reminds me of playing the original John Madden Football for the Super Nintendo and the Jets and Raiders were the "New Jersey Jets" and "Oakland Raiders" respectively... let that sink in for a while.

Actually, IIRC they were just "New Jersey" and "Oakland." They didn't have a NFL or NFLPA license so they could only refer to the teams by city (and players by number). They basically did that to avoid having to call them "New York-A" and "Los Angeles-A". I think some of the early NHL games referred to the Islanders as "Long Island" for the same reason.

This reminds me of playing the original John Madden Football for the Super Nintendo and the Jets and Raiders were the "New Jersey Jets" and "Oakland Raiders" respectively... let that sink in for a while.

Actually, IIRC they were just "New Jersey" and "Oakland." They didn't have a NFL or NFLPA license so they could only refer to the teams by city (and players by number). They basically did that to avoid having to call them "New York-A" and "Los Angeles-A". I think some of the early NHL games referred to the Islanders as "Long Island" for the same reason.

Then why could they feature Denver, Pittsburgh, New England, etc? Wouldn't they run into the same problem then? I think the Long Island Islanders was in the NHL '93 version. But I remember thinking they were a secret team, and then laughing when I found out otherwise.

Then why could they feature Denver, Pittsburgh, New England, etc? Wouldn't they run into the same problem then? I think the Long Island Islanders was in the NHL '93 version. But I remember thinking they were a secret team, and then laughing when I found out otherwise.

No, because they were not using their nicknames or logos. As long as they only referred to the team by a generic location name there were no licensing issues involved.

CCSLC signature.png

I always thought the sticking point for the "New Jersey Giants" crowd was that all of the teams' offices were in Jersey as well... opposed to the Jets who were based on Long Island and just happened to share Giants Stadium.

Not sure how accurate any of this still is... especially with the opening of the new stadium... but assuming it was all true, I wouldn't be so quick to write it off as insecurity and pedantry.

No, I don't think it had anything to do with that, since the Jets faced the same bizarre criticism, and as you say they were headquartered in NY state until recently.

It's always been about where the stadium is, and the only people in the Northeast who made such a silly argument are the same people trying to claim the Statue of Liberty is also somehow in New Jersey.

Looks like ESPN Milwaukee reported correctly ... The PACK in green with the Super Bowl XLV logo

SuperBowl_XLV_RodgersReplicaJersey.jpg

My theory is that one reason the NFL went with a grayscale SB logo in order to look less intrusive color-wise on the uniforms.

That logo goes with every teams' uniform equally well.

Or it goes with every teams' uniform just as bad as well.

You don't understand Cleveland, man... it's just different there.

No, you don't! You just can't understand it - we're so different. It's not understandable for someone from somewhere else. :P

6fQjS3M.png

No, because they were not using their nicknames or logos. As long as they only referred to the team by a generic location name there were no licensing issues involved.

Hmmm, I would figure that they could still complain ever without the logos or name, because the jerseys/sprites were identical to their NFL counterparts. I mean if someone used an exact replica of the Broncos uniform now, removed the logo and name, reproduced it in a video game or on the field (even with a different horse-logo or logo period), that the Broncos let's say, could come after them.

Part of me really likes the standardization of the logo / patch. It gives a consistent look for the championship game, and IMO that makes it more special. Every year players will dream of having that same patch sewn on their jerseys, as opposed to something different and sometimes crappy. The more I think about it, the more I like it (from a conceptual standpoint.)

I'm not sure how I feel about the actual trophy being used though. It's kind of like a championship belt - you shouldn't wear it until you win it. It's not that big of a deal though, and the benefits of the standardization outweigh anything else.

Maybe something like this might work?

jennings_sbjersey.png

Part of me really likes the standardization of the logo / patch. It gives a consistent look for the championship game, and IMO that makes it more special. Every year players will dream of having that same patch sewn on their jerseys, as opposed to something different and sometimes crappy. The more I think about it, the more I like it (from a conceptual standpoint.)

I'm not sure how I feel about the actual trophy being used though. It's kind of like a championship belt - you shouldn't wear it until you win it. It's not that big of a deal though, and the benefits of the standardization outweigh anything else.

jennings_sbjersey.png

That's a.... fantastic idea. I love it. Represents what they've won and why they're there, and doesn't suffer from the verticality of the new Lombardi patch.

Nice work.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

jennings_sbjersey.png

That's a.... fantastic idea. I love it. Represents what they've won and why they're there, and doesn't suffer from the verticality of the new Lombardi patch.

Nice work.

Agreed. Simple, elegant, meaningful. Good job.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

... are the same people trying to claim the Statue of Liberty is also somehow in New Jersey.

The Statue of Liberty is in Jersey.

Not according to the Supreme Court, the United States Congress, the National Park Service, the Post Office, the United States National Register of Historic Places, the United States Geological Survey, the compact of 1664 which established the Province of New Jersey as a colony, the compromise of 1834 and, you know, the whole of reality. ;)

Really, New Jersey is a fine state with a rich history and worthwhile landmarks. You really don't have to try and pinch anybody else's.

I think the Long Island Islanders was in the NHL '93 version. But I remember thinking they were a secret team, and then laughing when I found out otherwise.

I've seen a lot of places use "Long Island" as the official location name for the Isles, and I tend to do it myself, too. I think the NHL even designated its expansion team as being awarded not to New York but to Long Island. Neat little quirk.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived