Seattle Mariners at Florida Marlins...

bterreson

The Marlins are moving a 3 game series vs. the Mariners to Seattle because of a U2 concert at Sun Life Stadium...

Article: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/01/27/2037518/florida-marlins-to-be-home-team.html

``Home'' for the Florida Marlins in late June will be Seattle

Major League Baseball announced Thursday that the Marlins will host the Mariners in Seattle's own ballpark -- Safeco Field -- June 24-26.

The reason: A U2 concert at Sun Life Stadium is scheduled for June 29. The popular rock group also requires extra time to set up the show.

The uprooted Marlins will bat last as the home team in all three games of the Seattle series, which will be played under National League rules -- no designated hitter, in other words.

It won't be the first time that the Marlins find themselves serving as the ``home'' team in another team's ballpark. They took on the Montreal Expos at Chicago's U.S. Cellular Field for two games in 2004 because of the threat of Hurricane Ivan to South Florida.

Interesting for a few reasons.

+ The Mariners will be the Road team- so they'll bat first.. etc.

+ They'll probably wear their road Gray's

+ National League team is the Home team... No DH

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting for a few reasons.

+ The Mariners will be the Road team- so they'll bat first.. etc.

+ They'll probably wear their road Gray's

+ National League team is the Home team... No DH

Happened last year in Philly... Jays wore home whites, Phillies wore road gray's, DH was used, etc.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

If it's any saving grace, the Marlins' series before this is in Miami, and the series after this is in Oakland. So they will just head to the West coast a few games earlier, and stay there. At least it's not going to be inconvenient (which could easily happen considering the two teams are among the furthest apart geographically in baseball). But yeah, I think it's sort of unfair. Regardless of making the Marlins the home team using NL rules, etc. it's still going to be in a stadium full of Mariners' fans, pro-Mariner's announcer and music, etc. Personally I would be slightly pissed if I were the Marlins, it's kind of a net loss of 6 home games, which could (maybe) have an effect.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Interesting for a few reasons.+ The Mariners will be the Road team- so they'll bat first.. etc.+ They'll probably wear their road Gray's+ National League team is the Home team... No DH
Happened last year in Philly... Jays wore home whites, Phillies wore road gray's, DH was used, etc.

But that was for the G-20, not a concert.

If it's any saving grace, the Marlins' series before this is in Miami, and the series after this is in Oakland. So they will just head to the West coast a few games earlier, and stay there. At least it's not going to be inconvenient (which could easily happen considering the two teams are among the furthest apart geographically in baseball). But yeah, I think it's sort of unfair. Regardless of making the Marlins the home team using NL rules, etc. it's still going to be in a stadium full of Mariners' fans, pro-Mariner's announcer and music, etc. Personally I would be slightly pissed if I were the Marlins, it's kind of a net loss of 6 home games, which could (maybe) have an effect.

There are no Marlins fans at home games anyway, so fan support won't be a difference.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Interesting for a few reasons.+ The Mariners will be the Road team- so they'll bat first.. etc.+ They'll probably wear their road Gray's+ National League team is the Home team... No DH

There are no Marlins fans at home games anyway, so fan support won't be a difference.

For the game in Philly (when the Jays were the home team)... did they still play cheers and music for the Phillies? or did they treat them like the Road team as well?

For the game in Philly (when the Jays were the home team)... did they still play cheers and music for the Phillies? or did they treat them like the Road team as well?

Jays were treated as the home team.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

The Mariners should wear teal for all 3 games. (Oh, and a U2 concert, really?! Looks like the Dolphins are treating the Marlins as if they'd already moved out as they were supposed to by now.)

They were! 2010 was the year they were supposed to get evicted. Maybe they booked this U2 concert a really long time ago.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I wanted to get to one of the games in Philly last year but it unfortunately never came to. I had opportunites for tickets being a season ticket holder but my family decided to hit the Jersey Shore instead. I'm sure there won't be too many fans at this game, haha.

I think it's funny that the Marlins are going to play home games in the stadium that is (probably) geographically the farthest away from Miami that you can possibly get in the major leagues.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I've always wondered why things like this happen. You'd think the stadium would be aware of issues like this and have MLB create a schedule to work around this.

And miss the opportunity to rake in the home share of 3 games where people actually show up? That's just plain loco man.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Mariners should wear teal for all 3 games. (Oh, and a U2 concert, really?! Looks like the Dolphins are treating the Marlins as if they'd already moved out as they were supposed to by now.)

They were! 2010 was the year they were supposed to get evicted. Maybe they booked this U2 concert a really long time ago.

I know they weren't supposed to be there in 2011. Even this new stadium was supposed to open by then. Are we sure the Marlins are playing any home games at Dolphin Stadium? Or is this just the first announcement of many more to come? :)

I've always wondered why things like this happen. You'd think the stadium would be aware of issues like this and have MLB create a schedule to work around this.

And miss the opportunity to rake in the home share of 3 games where people actually show up? That's just plain loco man.

B... B... But... lofty TV ratings...

Archived