Bills confirm new uniform for 2011

Nick in England

There is no reason a gray facemask can't work with the modern logo.

getty.jpg

Why everybody hates the gray facemasks?, as you can see in the photo, they really works

dragonssignature.gif

Im from Costa Rica...so i dont have a huge english level...understand me

:rolleyes:

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In purely aesthetic terms the Bills going with a grey mask on a retro-inspired uniform would look better then the Cardinals' grey mask paired with their utra-modern uniform.

Just make 'em all grey. Treat the masks as pieces of equipment that aren't supposed to be coloured. Like hockey skates or sticks.

People hate gray masks because they are GFGS. Technology exists to make it a team color, so do so teams.

It's kinda funny though, the same people who hate black being added when it's not a team color love a gray face mask being added even though it's not a team color.

People hate gray masks because they are GFGS. Technology exists to make it a team color, so do so teams.

So do so?

Anyway technology exists to make hockey sticks and skates (and the cages on goalie masks) any colour you want, but they're left mostly neutral. Why? They're pieces of equipment, not part of the uniform. I think the same argument can be made for facemasks in football.

It's kinda funny though, the same people who hate black being added when it's not a team color love a gray face mask being added even though it's not a team color.

First off a grey mask is not as intrusive/jarring as a uniform that is mostly black or a uniform that is devoid of team colours for the sake of having black and three shades of grey.

Secondly, way to to overgeneralize. Stop it.

When grey face masks are used it is bc it is the least distracting color you can make a facemask and/or it goes with an older/retro look. That is not using grey just to use grey.

When teams add black it is to sell merchandise and/or "look cool." That is BFBS.

First off a grey mask is not as intrusive/jarring as a uniform that is mostly black or a uniform that is devoid of team colours for the sake of having black and three shades of grey.

Not as intrusive/jarring, but still quite jarring nonetheless. And honestly, gray facemasks look awful when there's no gray in the color scheme. Unless you'd like to argue that this...

Cleveland_Browns_Helmet.jpg

...looks better than this...

fso5lxry5a1yzqicg6cq.gif

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Not as intrusive/jarring, but still quite jarring nonetheless. And honestly, gray facemasks look awful when there's no gray in the color scheme. Unless you'd like to argue that this...

Cleveland_Browns_Helmet.jpg

...looks better than this...

fso5lxry5a1yzqicg6cq.gif

No, I would not like to argue that. I happen to agree with you. At the end of the day I still argue that a team shouldn't wear grey masks if there isn't any grey/silver anywhere else in the colour scheme.

Thinking about it from a different angle, however, is when it occurred to me that they could all be grey and it wouldn't matter if we just viewed the masks as pieces of equipment and not part of the uniform itself. It's just an idea I toyed around with, because honestly I'm not willing to get dogmatic over facemask colour.

I'll argue that point. The Browns helmet with the gray facemask is lightyears better than the one with the white facemash. Gray facemasks work.

For example, the Bears would look a million times better with a gray facemask.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

everytime I see that Suns uniform I think of this:

2010_Element_A_2304_lightbox.jpg

as for the grey facemask debate, I'm only good when it's part of the color scheme, or used for a throwback or fauxback uniform.

i feel like if a team is updating their look, it's kind of silly to use grey facemasks if it's not a part of their identity. grey facemasks were worn in the past b/c they came that way and were not painted.

now they are all paint ready.

Anyway technology exists to make hockey sticks and skates (and the cages on goalie masks) any colour you want, but they're left mostly neutral. Why? They're pieces of equipment, not part of the uniform. I think the same argument can be made for facemasks in football.

That's the best argument I've ever heard FOR gray masks. It's really convincing actually...almost makes me accept gray facemasks now.

However, the Skins better keep their gold...makes the whole uniform.

87Redskins.png

So do so?

Secondly, way to to overgeneralize. Stop it.

A face mask is hardly neutral. In a game where player's faces aren't emphasized you still can't help but look at a player's face. what's in front of it? A face mask. You got guys getting these outrageous custom face masks to stand out too. It is hardly a piece of equipment like gloves or cleats would be.

I apologize for overgeneralizing again, I forgot how anal you are about that. I'll restate it. "A MAJORITY of people who like GFGS face masks hate BFBS jerseys"

When grey face masks are used it is bc it is the least distracting color you can make a facemask and/or it goes with an older/retro look. That is not using grey just to use grey.

When teams add black it is to sell merchandise and/or "look cool." That is BFBS.

So...this isn't gray face mask for gray face masks sake?

nfl-2008-kurt-warner-arizona-cardinals.jpg

Was it done to boost merchandise sales?

I thought the generally-accepted "____ for ____'s sake" criteria was merely hopping on a short-lived design fad for the sake of it. And the recent resurgence of gray facemasks fits in just fine with the new, boring "retro" fad in sports.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

How am I supposed to know the exact reasoning?

How is ANYONE?

The rationale for so called BFBS teams are to make their players buy into something or to "look tougher"

Maybe that IS the reason. It's like when an english teacher wants me to discuss the meaning of a certain line in a poem as if it means something else. You can't read beyond the lines.

If people like a black jersey, of course merchandise sales are gonna boom.

I thought the generally-accepted "____ for ____'s sake" criteria was merely hopping on a short-lived design fad for the sake of it. And the recent resurgence of gray facemasks fits in just fine with the new, boring "retro" fad in sports.

Yes, but the Cardinals aren't jumping on the gray facemask fad, as they have had a gray facemask for as long as they have had facemasks. The Browns (and Bills if their new redesign has a gray facemask) would be considered to be jumping on that fad though.

gbaCXZn.png

Anyone else notice that we're NVITED?

Cordially NVITED.

Great catch.

Hey lose the ego. There's no "i" in nvited.

Except for that other i...you know, in between the v and the t :)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived