Bills confirm new uniform for 2011

Nick in England

Oh, just do what the Clippers do - have Navy listed as an official color just for merchandise sales. It doesn't exist in their uniforms at all...

(The Hornets and Warriors do this with Black as well.)

As do the Rangers.

pMLB2-1683382dt.jpg

The Rangers actually DO include Black on their uniforms. The examples I gave - the Warriors and Hornets with Black, and the Clippers with Navy - do not.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, just do what the Clippers do - have Navy listed as an official color just for merchandise sales. It doesn't exist in their uniforms at all...

(The Hornets and Warriors do this with Black as well.)

As do the Rangers.

pMLB2-1683382dt.jpg

The Rangers actually DO include Black on their uniforms. The examples I gave - the Warriors and Hornets with Black, and the Clippers with Navy - do not.

That's navy. Nike has a weird obsession with making navy gear for royal blue MLB teams.

I love those wordmarks though! I really don't like the Bills and Colts current, but they do fit with the identity somewhat. The Bengals wordmark is absolutely beautiful!

They may be nice, but six, seven teams using the same format for their wordmark seems a bit like overkill.

That's what happens when the league controls the design. From what I understand, in the past, teams would have their look designed by local designers who had the flavor of the region. When everything is handled through New York at the top, corporate level, everything starts to look the same.

I remember applauding Starbucks back in the 90s for hiring local designers to come up with the look/feel of individual stores in foreign countries. Sure they had an overall Starbucks brand but the interiors, artwork, etc. were specific to a region and created by designers from that region.

Not sure if Starbucks still does this but I would love for major league sports to adopt this concept and allow teams to look as individual/different as possible.

It really is nice from the perspective of licensed merchandise, though. Picture having to create a design, knowing that the design you create has to work for all 32 teams. It's tough when a team like the Colts has this tall, super-condensed wordmark while the falcons have this short, super-extended one. Or you have teams like the steelers and Packers with generally round, symmetrical logos, while the Patriots and Bills have these crazy asymmetrical logos that can totally ruin the look of a design. Makes it much easier when multiple teams have a wordmark or logo in the same general format or shape.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I see where you're coming from on that. It's also been a bugbear of mine that the Patriots' and Chargers' primaries look so slight and inconsequential next to primaries that fill a square more substantially (I'd say Buffalo's looks fine amidst the league's logos, though). So there's merit to getting some centralized guidance for new intellectual property, but that doesn't excuse the Falcons/Bengals/Seahawks/Texans/Cardinals crop of virtually identical stretchy, notchy wordmarks. There's still plenty you can do with lettering without compromising the preferred dimensions for everything. And on that note, if they want to standardize their wordmarks, what on earth are the Jaguars doing with a vertically arched wordmark, anyway?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Wouldn't it be great if the new wordmark were this?

bills_ss_script_top.jpg

Not enough script logos in sports outside of baseball, sadly.

I love these caps. Still have a Bulls one in great shape. I know they've brought back variations using this script in recent years, but I wish someone would offer the originals again.

One a side note, I can't believe a Bills helmet leak got lost between two Chargers discussions in this thread, but I'm caught up now. So was the helmet shown the mini helmet for those standings boards or something?

I remember applauding Starbucks back in the 90s for hiring local designers to come up with the look/feel of individual stores in foreign countries. Sure they had an overall Starbucks brand but the interiors, artwork, etc. were specific to a region and created by designers from that region.

Not sure if Starbucks still does this but I would love for major league sports to adopt this concept and allow teams to look as individual/different as possible.

They don't. The Starbucks in Buenos Aires look just like any Starbucks in the US.

I see where you're coming from on that. It's also been a bugbear of mine that the Patriots' and Chargers' primaries look so slight and inconsequential next to primaries that fill a square more substantially (I'd say Buffalo's looks fine amidst the league's logos, though). So there's merit to getting some centralized guidance for new intellectual property, but that doesn't excuse the Falcons/Bengals/Seahawks/Texans/Cardinals crop of virtually identical stretchy, notchy wordmarks. There's still plenty you can do with lettering without compromising the preferred dimensions for everything. And on that note, if they want to standardize their wordmarks, what on earth are the Jaguars doing with a vertically arched wordmark, anyway?

The Seahawks, Bengals, Texans, Falcons and Cardinals identities were all done by Verlander, which is why the wordmarks all have a similar format and also why the marks themselves all have a similar visual language, with the big, bold shapes and aggressive style.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

339.gif

This looks just fine on their 2011 uni's. Teams don't need to be "artistic" when it comes to a simple hardly noticed wordmark.

AGREED. scripts are beautiful but the Bills don't need to mess with the wordmark.

Afterall, this Photolettering font's called Buffalo. buffalo_7.jpg

That font's not the same as the one used in the Bills' wordmark. Similar, but not the same.

339.gif

This looks just fine on their 2011 uni's. Teams don't need to be "artistic" when it comes to a simple hardly noticed wordmark.

AGREED. scripts are beautiful but the Bills don't need to mess with the wordmark.

That font's not the same as the one used in the Bills' wordmark. Similar, but not the same.

Agree Ice ... the ends of the letter-tips on that chart are too rounded rather than squared off at the ends.

The word-mark Johnny posted isn't 'quite' the one on the 2011 uni's ...

The one he posted is the BILLS 1974 - present version of their word-mark ..

Anyone know if it's possible for an NFL team to have 'alternate' word-marks? Some seem to have that belief on the 'Cowboys' word-mark thread.

Anyone know if it's possible for an NFL team to have 'alternate' word-marks? Some seem to have that belief on the 'Cowboys' word-mark thread.

From '96 - '02, the Eagles had an alt. wordmark that only appeared on their jerseys under the collar. Sort of an asymmetrical "baseball style" version of the one they use now. In '03 they standardized and ditched it when they updated to what they wear currently.

7297_01_lg.jpgPhiladelphia-Eagles-Brian-dawkins-20-white-NFL-jersey-iQFv.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Was the Lions' Copperplate wordmark (2003-2008) ever official? It seems like it'd have to be if it was in the endzone...but that means the old Bills endzone (red endzones, white letters) font would have been official as well.

I think the Jaguars used to have two wordmarks as well (similar type, but different arcs) from 95-08.

And don't forget Art, the Giants currently have two GIANTS wordmarks as well, and let's not get started on the wordmarks the Rams and Saints use on the bumpers of the helmets.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Wow ... they sure changed the dark green/teal on them jersey numbers.

BTW, any word if the EAGLES will be breaking out the 1960 Kelly Green's again this season, or was that just a one-time thing for the 50-year anniversary from their last NFL Championship??

They seemed very popular in apparel sales judging by how many Philly fans were wearing them all season.

The green hasn't changed all that much (if at all). Just bad lighting in the photo that makes it look like the midnight green has changed.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Wow ... they sure changed the dark green/teal on them jersey numbers.

BTW, any word if the EAGLES will be breaking out the 1960 Kelly Green's again this season, or was that just a one-time thing for the 50-year anniversary from their last NFL Championship??

They seemed very popular in apparel sales judging by how many Philly fans were wearing them all season.

The green hasn't changed all that much (if at all). Just bad lighting in the photo that makes it look like the midnight green has changed.

It hasn't changed at all since the introduction of Midnight Green back in '96.

339.gif

Agree Ice ... the ends of the letter-tips on that chart are too rounded rather than squared off at the ends.

The word-mark Johnny posted isn't 'quite' the one on the 2011 uni's ...

The one he posted is the BILLS 1974 - present version of their word-mark ..

I don't think it was suggested that this particular font was the same as the Bills' font, but rather there are examples of similar western style letters out there and it's funny that the designer called this particular font Buffalo, given its formal similarity with the Bills' wordmark.

Also, teams are free to do whatever they want in their endzones. That's not controlled by NFL legal. Examples I can think of off the top of my head: Obviously the Lions' previous endzone with Copperplate lettering. The Packers' one endzone features a version of their wordmark with a white outline, but no such wordmark is included in their style guide. Second, the other endzone features a Green Bay wordmark in the same font, which is also no where to be seen in their style guide. Remember a year or two ago when the Browns revived their classic Brush Script endzones? Those wordmarks are not in their style guide. The Colts endzones are both lettered in a generic playbill-type font as opposed to having the one endzone display the official Colts wordmark and the other endzone display an Indianapolis wordmark in the same style.

i believe its to reflect a bridge in Jacksonville. their newest uniforms were done by a local agency

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Then there's the Raiders:

OaklandRaiders_EndZone_1995-9999_SCC_SRGB.png

This isn't part of their official graphics package, but they paint this in the end zones....

Wow, it's nice to finally see that wordmark online. I always thought it was weird how the Raiders had a digital looking font for the endzone. I loved the 1960s AFL years font.

bSLCtu2.png

Archived