2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not unless we're going to start handing out POTD's for Tank's equally-dumb puns.

Hey my puns are fun :P

Dude, you put the p-u in pun. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Can someone explain to me why Sizemore was given his lead off position and CF back over Brantley?

Fielding: Sizemore has average range after the injuries and 3 hops a throw from Center Field to Second Base. Brantley can throw a rope from deep in alleys into Second Base and he can cover just as much, if not more, ground as Sizemore. Advantage: Brantley

Running: Brantley lead the team to a 10-4 record. He actually USES his speed to steal bases, advance on throws in the dirt, and is smart on the bases. Sizemore rarely steals for being considered a speedster on the bases, does NOT advance on bad pitches, and plays it safe on the bases. Advantage: Brantley

Batting: Brantley has a .300+ BA with a sliver under .400 OBP. He does NOT hit for power, but goes deep into counts, and is HUGE in the clutch. Sizemore is about consistent at .260+/- BA with about a .350 OBP. He hits for power, but also hits a lot of air... pencil him in for 145+ Ks. He does NOT produce with runners runners on base, any less with them in scoring position. Advantage: wash

Here is my contention: Keep Brantley batting 1 in Center Field and move Sizemore to Left batting 6 or 7. As a CF, you want a high OBP, fast, smart base runner. That's Brantley. His arm can make the necessary throws from deep in the alley and can cover a lot of ground. Sizemore has a terrible arm and lost some speed after the surgeries. Not only that, LF is considered a power position, so his 25+ HRs and 140+ Ks would fit in perfectly. Not only that, batting behind Hafner would give better protection and Orlando Cabrera. Sure is lefty then lefty but force teams to beat you at your own game. Even if Hafner, Santana, and Choo clear the bases ahead of Grady, it will be like turning the lineup over with Cabrera and LaPorta to follow. And since Santana and Hafner are supposed to be high BA hitters, Sizemore can also clean up with men LOB. Something he can't do hitting lead off.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Can someone explain to me why Sizemore was given his lead off position and CF back over Brantley?

Fielding: Sizemore has average range after the injuries and 3 hops a throw from Center Field to Second Base. Brantley can throw a rope from deep in alleys into Second Base and he can cover just as much, if not more, ground as Sizemore. Advantage: Brantley

Running: Brantley lead the team to a 10-4 record. He actually USES his speed to steal bases, advance on throws in the dirt, and is smart on the bases. Sizemore rarely steals for being considered a speedster on the bases, does NOT advance on bad pitches, and plays it safe on the bases. Advantage: Brantley

Batting: Brantley has a .300+ BA with a sliver under .400 OBP. He does NOT hit for power, but goes deep into counts, and is HUGE in the clutch. Sizemore is about consistent at .260+/- BA with about a .350 OBP. He hits for power, but also hits a lot of air... pencil him in for 145+ Ks. He does NOT produce with runners runners on base, any less with them in scoring position. Advantage: wash

Here is my contention: Keep Brantley batting 1 in Center Field and move Sizemore to Left batting 6 or 7. As a CF, you want a high OBP, fast, smart base runner. That's Brantley. His arm can make the necessary throws from deep in the alley and can cover a lot of ground. Sizemore has a terrible arm and lost some speed after the surgeries. Not only that, LF is considered a power position, so his 25+ HRs and 140+ Ks would fit in perfectly. Not only that, batting behind Hafner would give better protection and Orlando Cabrera. Sure is lefty then lefty but force teams to beat you at your own game. Even if Hafner, Santana, and Choo clear the bases ahead of Grady, it will be like turning the lineup over with Cabrera and LaPorta to follow. And since Santana and Hafner are supposed to be high BA hitters, Sizemore can also clean up with men LOB. Something he can't do hitting lead off.

I'm sorry, I fell asleep at about paragraph three. What was the question again?

The Indians are playing far better than even the most optimistic Tribe fan could have hoped for coming into the season and you're whining about the batting order? Grady's been back for what, about three games now? How about you give it two weeks before you go all "Cleveland fan" on us?

BB52Big.jpg

I'm sorry, I fell asleep at about paragraph three. What was the question again?

The Indians are playing far better than even the most optimistic Tribe fan could have hoped for coming into the season and you're whining about the batting order? Grady's been back for what, about three games now? How about you give it two weeks before you go all "Cleveland fan" on us?

Giving two weeks to go all "Cleveland fan" would defeat the purpose of going all "Cleveland fan".

I'm trying to come up with a good line about the Cubs not picking him up due to errant confusion between Brandon and Kerry Wood, but I just can't do it. Maybe after lunch.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Maybe the Mets should take a flier on Brandon Wood he cant be any worse than who they already have.

No, I can almost assure you he is.

Have fun kicking rocks down the highway, Brandon.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Cubs should take him. Why not. All they can do at this point is scavenge the waiver wire and hope to get lucky.

The Cubs getting lucky? Lee had a better chance of getting lucky on his prom night. :P

Small-town Canadian high school. No prom.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Jered Weaver = Pitching-5-0-early-Cy-Young-candidate MAN

Peter Bourjos = Hitting-fielding-running-Gold-Glove-potential boyMAN

Angels take 2 of 3 in Arlington.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived