MLB suggestion: Return of the pillbox hat

Tygers09

It would be really cool for MLB to have all teams wear patriotic pillbox hats during both Memorial Day weekend and on the 4th Of July. And have the teams decide on wearing white or red/blue base color hats. I looked on the MLB.com website for a suggestion, but does anyone else know how I could contact the league?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pillbox caps = unspeakably cool.

"Patriotic" caps = awful.

Special caps that get worn on the field that don't go with a team's identity and are there solely for merchandising purposes = awful.

Pillbox caps = goofy looking but OK once in a while as a throwback for teams that actually wore them.

You guys want pillbox caps, but I guarantee you that as soon as a team would switch, you'd ridicule them for their contrived nostalgia and for looking so goofy.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Pillbox caps = unspeakably cool.

"Patriotic" caps = awful.

Special caps that get worn on the field that don't go with a team's identity and are there solely for merchandising purposes = awful.

Pillbox caps = goofy looking but OK once in a while as a throwback for teams that actually wore them.

You guys want pillbox caps, but I guarantee you that as soon as a team would switch, you'd ridicule them for their contrived nostalgia and for looking so goofy.

+1

sig2024.png

Were the pillbox caps worn in the 70s for any significant reason? Aside from the '76 Bicentennial ones, were teams trying to "throwback" to the late 1800s by putting them into their uniforms, or was it just one of those "because we can" things?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Gotta agree with BBTV... I never liked the pillbox look in the first place, and pairing them with a modern-style jersey would just look... goofy. No matter the team.

2011 Colorado Rockies | Season from Hell

sig_11.png

Why exactly would this be cool?

Because it would be like a hertitage at the same time, patriotic.... bringing baseball back to what it was like in the 1800's

Not sure what playing a sport has to do with patriotism. Also I'm not sure how merchandising is patriotism.

Didn't we already go through this phase in the '70s?

Oh that's right...only a select few of us were even alive back then...

Well I was alive for 3 years, though not for the '76 ASG. I was alive and coherent during the last couple of years of the Pirates pill-box phase.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

What are these "Pillbox" hats that we speak of.

Ever heard of Google?

The only team that could pull off the pillbox look is the last team that pulled off the pillbox look: The Pittsburgh Pirates. If they went to it tomorrow, I'd be happy.

Other than that, leave it in the past.

Archived