MLB suggestion: Return of the pillbox hat

Tygers09

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't understand why the Pirates continued to wear them for years after the 1976 Bicentennial and still don't. It made no sense, at all. Then Stargell's stars made them look even sillier. If the Pirates want to wear them for a TBTC night, that would be understandable and maybe a bit cool. Otherwise, they are better left in the 70s.

Pillbox caps = unspeakably cool.

"Patriotic" caps = awful.

Ummm yeah... I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there. You see pillbox caps went out of style with disco, high collars, and velour track suits.

It would be really cool for MLB to have all teams wear patriotic pillbox hats during both Memorial Day weekend and on the 4th Of July. And have the teams decide on wearing white or red/blue base color hats. I looked on the MLB.com website for a suggestion, but does anyone else know how I could contact the league?

... no.

Oh I forgot, everything has to be dark and gothic today...

Not one person said that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It would be really cool for MLB to have all teams wear patriotic pillbox hats during both Memorial Day weekend and on the 4th Of July. And have the teams decide on wearing white or red/blue base color hats. I looked on the MLB.com website for a suggestion, but does anyone else know how I could contact the league?

1) There's a frozen custard stand in Milwaukee that Bud Selig likes to frequent. Reportedly, he will talk baseball with anyone who approaches him politely.

2) Write a letter longhand, and place it in a SASE addressed to

BASEBALL

NEW YORK, NEW YORK

and the postal service will know what to do from there.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1) There's a frozen custard stand in Milwaukee that Bud Selig likes to frequent. Reportedly, he will talk baseball with anyone who approaches him politely.

BASEBALL

NEW YORK, NEW YORK

Though the thought was funny, you might want to look up what "SASE" stands for.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

How do you equate not liking fugly pillbox caps with being dark and gothic?

OK, maybe I was off topic about dark and gothic, but how many teams have black and or navy as a base color or as a trim color? I wasn't comparing them, but some of the designs of the current team logos and uniforms designs are fugly(i.e. Texas, San Diego, Philadelphia, to name a few..)! And you call pillbox hats fugly? I just get the idea that no body knows how baseball got started. Go back in history and look at how baseball uniforms and hats looked like back in the 1800's. Oh, we can have hideous throwback/current uniforms but not pillbox hats? Let's not have a double standard here, one standard will do just fine!

A Google search turned up this gem:

newera-pillbox-cooperstown-fitted-3.jpg

That's just wrong.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

OK, maybe I was off topic about dark and gothic, but how many teams have black and or navy as a base color or as a trim color? I wasn't comparing them, but some of the designs of the current team logos and uniforms designs are fugly(i.e. Texas, San Diego, Philadelphia, to name a few..)! And you call pillbox hats fugly? I just get the idea that no body knows how baseball got started. Go back in history and look at how baseball uniforms and hats looked like back in the 1800's. Oh, we can have hideous throwback/current uniforms but not pillbox hats? Let's not have a double standard here, one standard will do just fine!

They are still ugly, and we know where they started. Just realize that you seem to be the only one on this quest.

BASEBALL

NEW YORK, NEW YORK

Though the thought was funny, you might want to look up what "SASE" stands for.

I'm aware, I just liked the idea of infinitely sending something to nowhere.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Guess it's also a matter of taste, but frankly I think San Diego's and Philly's current uniform line up is quite attractive.

Archived