Best Washington Capitals Logo?

Morgan33

Now that the Capitals rebrand of 2007-08 has had several years to sink in I was wondering what the concensus about their identity was on these boards. Which Logo best represented the team? Which looked the best?

2007-08 to Present?

llrs2zxi127vkqgcsvfb.gif

2002-03 to 2006-07?

paefgo9d0nm54u2nlzts.gif

1995-96 to 2001-02?

215f.gif

or 1974-75 to 1994-95?

284h.gif

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO the best logo the Caps have ever had is in my signature (the W-eagle for those who have signatures disabled). Ive never been a fan of either wordmark logo (or those in general), the Capitol building logo was nice but entirely too busy, and the eagle was just weird looking.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Personally, I gotta go with the Eagle...not only is it the best of the 4 but it's what I identify with them growing up and getting into hockey as having worn (I do remember them in their old logo/jerseys but I was much younger) and they made their only cup finals appearance with that set.

That being said, if they were deadset on going with a modernized "CAPITALS" logo, the current logo/set does a good job at doing that.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

4. Original Logo

3. Capitol Building

2. Current logo

1. Flying Eagle.

The blue jerseys with blue socks and that touch of bronze/copper/gold whatever paired with the black pants/helmets were really nice looking uniforms. I was bummed when they dumped them for the black third jerseys. These uniforms showed that you don't need to be red-white-blue with a patriotic themed nickname.

The capitol building looks like a concept someone would put together here. It's got all the symptoms. Crossed hockey sticks, pucks, text, and a capitol building that could be put together in no time.

I like the current alternate logo, BUT birds have feet and the building notched into his bottom side looks like he's being split apart. It's very clever that the eagle forms a W, but I still can't look at it without thinking of how goofy that part looks.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I grew up with them in their RWB+stars set, so it was always strange to see them in anything else. Hell - it's still strange to see them in navy now.

However, objectively speaking, the flying eagle was IMO far and away their strongest mark. That color scheme was great for them, and it was great that they had an identifying crest as opposed to a wordmark.

They're also the only hockey team I can think of that didn't irk me when they put the team name on the front in addition to a crest (though it was better without.) The black set looked like minor-league trash.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That eagle logo from the 90's is awesome, much better than their current set. I do like their current shoulder patch alot, but not as much as the previous eagle.

2ly2w09.jpg

Wow, Im surprised the Blue and Copper set has such support. Jersey wise, the set introduced in 1995/96 was far and away their best. It was such a fresh and unique look and using the colours of the presidential seal was really clever. Logo wise I gotta go with the Capitol Building. Eagle looks good but something about it seems 2D. Maybe its the tallon.

I wish you hadn't pointed that out, because I was going to comment how the fact that it is 2D is what makes it better than a lot of the 3Dish cartoony logos out there... but then I go and see that the talons don't seem to match the style of the rest of the logo. It's not necessarily bad, but now it's all I'll notice.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

W-eagle by far!!!

My son's hockey club is using a variation of the Flying Eagle logo in red/black/White with a maple leaf in the background, and I've been thinking about suggesting we adapt their logo to be the W-eagle logo (they are the Warren Park Eagles)

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

I wish you hadn't pointed that out, because I was going to comment how the fact that it is 2D is what makes it better than a lot of the 3Dish cartoony logos out there... but then I go and see that the talons don't seem to match the style of the rest of the logo. It's not necessarily bad, but now it's all I'll notice.

Well the face isn't actually 2D either. Look at the mouth.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The current wordmark is the best, and I'll give a nod to the W-eagle. But I have to say that the run-over eagle is completely pathetic and horrible. It looks like road-kill after being run over by a Mack truck. That is one of the worst logos I've seen. One leg? No tail? Wings stacked upon each other? I loved the colors, but hated that horrible logo.

Archived