Best Washington Capitals Logo?

Morgan33

The capitol logo bothers me even more. Giant stars with weird shadows and perspective. The entire team name, written on a rectangle, slapped over the Capitol, above a giant puck that has blue shading, between two giant hockey sticks. What a vomit puddle that was. The only thing good about the eagle logo is that it replaced the clunky, long-past-due "capilals" wordmark. Glad they brought that one back.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a purely stand-alone perspective, I'd give the vote to the current weagle logo. On a sweater...the roadkill-esque swooping bird wins for me. But then, that's probably because I really took a following to the '90s-'early '00s Capitals, since those jerseys were some of my favorite sweaters ever worn on ice. Those are probably one reason why even to this day I still have so many fond memories of watching Peter Bondra and Joey Juneau (whose jersey, I might add, might have been the coolest I've ever seen, even to this day, JUNEAU + 90 in the font they used to use) skating around doing their thing along with Sergei Gonchar and of course, Olie the Goalie manning the backstop position. Plus I just loved those colors together...that specific shade of blue, gold and black. Kinda proves that DC's sports teams can make a color scheme other than red+white+blue work just fine. (And once the WIzards retire that scheme, I doubt we'll see it again in pro sports.)

But yeah, all that said, and nostalgia aside, the weagle wins for me.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I never noticed this, but the stripes on the sleeves of the 90's jerseys aren't in the same place on their respective sleeve. It looks like the left sleeve stripes is higher to meet up with the angled torso stripe.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Yup...one of those many little idiosyncracies of mid-'90s uniform design that, once you see it, a/ you can't unsee it and b/ really makes you sit back and go "hmmm"... (although I will admit my favorite quirk of the '90s was the cascading number styles of both the St. Louis Blues and Gorton's Islanders.)

Going back to the Capitals' sweaters...I know we'll never ever see that font in hockey (or pro sports period) again (unless you count the Milwaukee Brewers), but I always found it interesting that they doctored up a font that looked like it belonged on paper currency...one more neat little quirk I loved about those uniforms.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I loved the Islanders seasick name/numbers, but I never got jazzed (get it?) for the Blues' slanting numbers. That whole Blues set was gross. They're a great example of 1990's over-design.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Going back to the Capitals' sweaters...I know we'll never ever see that font in hockey (or pro sports period) again (unless you count the Milwaukee Brewers), but I always found it interesting that they doctored up a font that looked like it belonged on paper currency...one more neat little quirk I loved about those uniforms.

Good point. It does sort of have that look to it.

Not sure what the base of the Caps' font was, but the Brewers use Times New Roman. Apparently someone opened up Microsoft Word and immediately said "okay, we're good to go." If they stop using it, I'll shed no tears, though others will surely lament losing this connection to Milwaukee's status as a leading producer of term papers.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I loved the Islanders seasick name/numbers, but I never got jazzed (get it?) for the Blues' slanting numbers. That whole Blues set was gross. They're a great example of 1990's over-design.

I could not disagree more with this post, even if you ended it with "Also, we should let that Craven guy back in and make him a moderator."

The Islanders set was the '90s overdesign. Those seasick numbers, and the whole wave thing in general was just too gimicky for an NHL team. I loved that Blues set though - especially the slanted numbers. I thought the red really worked, and while the blank replicas looked a little funny, the numbered jerseys were fantastic. Loved when they got Gretzky, as "99" just looked great.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The red blotch was horrible. HORRIBLE. But, yes, the slanted numbers were an interesting touch.

As for the Caps, I'm amazed that I'm not the only one who had a lot of love for the blue "checkmark" jerseys. They weren't perfect: the numbers overlapping the stripes, for example. But I loved that stripe pattern.

Everything about the black jerseys that eventually replaced them was purely awful: The color balance, the weird name font, the capital dome logo, everything.

I don't know why everyone loves the whole capitals wordmark thing. The original jerseys were clown suits. The new ones are Edge-ified, of course, but I suppose they're not terrible. The best logo the Caps have ever had, however, is currently relegated to the shoulders.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I could not disagree more with this post, even if you ended it with "Also, we should let that Craven guy back in and make him a moderator."

The Islanders set was the '90s overdesign. Those seasick numbers, and the whole wave thing in general was just too gimicky for an NHL team. I loved that Blues set though - especially the slanted numbers. I thought the red really worked, and while the blank replicas looked a little funny, the numbered jerseys were fantastic. Loved when they got Gretzky, as "99" just looked great.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense, and the Isles unis were over-designed as well, but they had a goofy charm for me that puts them into my awesomely bad category. I wouldn't want them to return, but I liked them for what they were.

Those Blues uniforms were unbelievably ugly IMO. Royal blue, red, and yellow look like amusement park employees, or hot dog on a stick employees, or fast food employees. I can't look at them without thinking of a warm, moist kids' meal burger with too much ketchup. Then they crammed those staff lines all over it. With the colors all working against each other and the slanted numbers and the absurd number of stripes, they were just too much for me to look at.

What they ultimately changed to was one of the best NHL uniforms ever. Period. What they're currently wearing is a poor edge bastard version and I don't like it.

Also, I think I may have found the most 90's-tastic picture

t_20908_07.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

My list goes like this:

4th and worst- the capitol building logo. the huge stars are bad and the wordmark looks pasted over everything. just not liking it.

3rd- the original logo. not bad, good for its time, but just not my favorite

2nd - the eagle. I liked this logo and remember them in this logo the most in the late '90s. I think the colors even work.

1st and best - the current logo. it's simple, classy, the colors work for DC, and its a great update of the original. I like both simple logos and detailed ones so it's not like i have a retro bias. but i love the current look.

Living in Washington, I really think that the Caps fans (which I'm not totally a part of) love the current set and have represented Ovechkin and their winning seasons recently. That said, the flying eagle is what I remember from old Backyard Hockey games... I would love to see the eagle in red, white, and blue ALONG WITH the current "primary" as a wordmark. But you still have to find room for the awesome alternate they have. SUCH a good logo.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Yeah, it doesn't make sense, and the Isles unis were over-designed as well, but they had a goofy charm for me that puts them into my awesomely bad category. I wouldn't want them to return, but I liked them for what they were.

Those Blues uniforms were unbelievably ugly IMO. Royal blue, red, and yellow look like amusement park employees, or hot dog on a stick employees, or fast food employees. I can't look at them without thinking of a warm, moist kids' meal burger with too much ketchup. Then they crammed those staff lines all over it. With the colors all working against each other and the slanted numbers and the absurd number of stripes, they were just too much for me to look at.

What they ultimately changed to was one of the best NHL uniforms ever. Period. What they're currently wearing is a poor edge bastard version and I don't like it.

Also, I think I may have found the most 90's-tastic picture

t_20908_07.jpg

I won't argue that the set immediately following the Gretzky set was among the best of all time, but this one was just so much brighter and bolder, and... I dunno. I just really liked it. The blue better than the white, but either way. The only flaw I really see is that the logo is very rounded while everything else is straight or angled. Not enough to kill it for me though. LOL at a guy selling hotdogs on a stick. Nice.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived