More Maryland less Terps

gueman

just a question. why does Maryland, and all sports team in Maryland, find incorporating their state identity such a high priority? Yes, their flag is unique, but I feel like the Maryland flag theme has been taken to comedic levels of emphasis.

not that I don't like the move. I'm looking forward to seeing any type of uniform that resembles the mock ups we saw...I think...

Maryland has the coolest state flag, IMHO. One of them, anyway. Most states in comparison just go with a default "crest centered on a blue field" design, or else hang on to some version of the Confederate flag (you know, just in case the South decides to rise again).

In general, I think the teams based in states w/ unique flags are more likely to incorporate them into their identity. Arizona has a cool sunset flag; the Cards used it as a sleeve patch. Ohio has a non-traditional burgee for a flag; the Blue Jackets use that. Tennessee's flag has the three stars in a circle; the Titans use that. The Texans obviously incorporate their state flag as well. Colorado's "C" design is used by their NBA D-League team. The common theme here is that all of those states eschew the "crest centered on a blue field" design.

And, not to open up the DC statehood debate, but the Washington DC flag design (three stars/two bars) has worked its way into DC United gear:

PAAAAANFPFJAGAIO.jpg

and into the (in)famous gold/black Wizards' alt from a few years ago (note the three stars across the back):

buq461iin2fv8tde1ez06kk9x.gif

Maryland has the coolest state flag, IMHO. One of them, anyway. Most states in comparison just go with a default "crest centered on a blue field" design, or else hang on to some version of the Confederate flag (you know, just in case the South decides to rise again).

In general, I think the teams based in states w/ unique flags are more likely to incorporate them into their identity. Arizona has a cool sunset flag; the Cards used it as a sleeve patch. Ohio has a non-traditional burgee for a flag; the Blue Jackets use that. Tennessee's flag has the three stars in a circle; the Titans use that. The Texans obviously incorporate their state flag as well. Colorado's "C" design is used by their NBA D-League team. The common theme here is that all of those states eschew the "crest centered on a blue field" design.

And, not to open up the DC statehood debate, but the Washington DC flag design (three stars/two bars) has worked its way into DC United gear:

PAAAAANFPFJAGAIO.jpg

and into the (in)famous gold/black Wizards' alt from a few years ago (note the three stars across the back):

... And in the Caps logo too. I hope the Wiz incorporate the 3 stars somehow in their new look.

Washington.jpg

90758391980.gif

That being said I think that Maryland design looks awful... Maryland's current home uniform when they wear red jerseys on white pants is among the best looks in college football in my opinion. I'm kinda sad to see that look go for this clearly over-designed new uniform. Aw well.

Synonyms for "awful": abominable, alarming, appalling, atrocious, deplorable, depressing, dire, disgusting, distressing, dreadful, fearful, frightful, ghastly, grody, gross*, gruesome, grungy, harrowing, hideous, horrendous, horrible, horrific, horrifying, nasty, offensive, raunchy, repulsive, shocking, stinking, ugly, unpleasant, unsightly.

Works for me. (Not to mention "ripoff of San Diego State.")

Packers-2.png

just a question. why does Maryland, and all sports team in Maryland, find incorporating their state identity such a high priority? Yes, their flag is unique, but I feel like the Maryland flag theme has been taken to comedic levels of emphasis.

not that I don't like the move. I'm looking forward to seeing any type of uniform that resembles the mock ups we saw...I think...

Im going to guess that because Maryland (as a state) doesnt have anything else positive to hang its hat on, but its awesome state flag, and great crabs.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Im going to guess that because Maryland (as a state) doesnt have anything else positive to hang its hat on, but its awesome state flag, and great crabs.

Just wondering Don, are you from Montgomery County?

90758391980.gif

PAAAAANFPFJAGAIO.jpg

... And in the Caps logo too. I hope the Wiz incorporate the 3 stars somehow in their new look.

Washington.jpg

The three stars in D.C. logos represent Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia.

D.C.'s flag:

1782961540_804f8f2e14.jpg

87Redskins.png

PAAAAANFPFJAGAIO.jpg

Washington.jpg

The three stars in D.C. logos represent Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia.

D.C.'s flag:

DMV Baby!

90758391980.gif

Just wondering Don, are you from Montgomery County?

Nyet. St. Mary's County.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Maryland has one of the best and most underrated identity packages in college sports. They have a unique mascot, unique nickname, unique colors (I don't think anyone uses red, black and yellow together) and one of the most unique state flags to draw imagery from. They really can't go wrong no matter what route they go.

As far as the unis, I never really understood all the hate for Under Armour... until now.

PAAAAANFPFJAGAIO.jpg

Washington.jpg

D.C.'s flag:

Actually, the 3 stars and 2 stripes is from George Washington's Coat of Arms.here

Coat of Arms also incorperated in the Purple Heart. seen here

Archived